Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Field Holster

I've run my GP100 (with a Millett adjustable rear sight) and Security Six (with an adjustable Ruger rear sight) without any incident in both a Bianchi UM84R flap holster and the Security Six in a Hunter leather holster where the rear sight is enclosed by the leather fairly tightly; while in the back of my mind I've occasionally wondered if they's adversely impact against the rear sights/zero, in reality, I've had no adverse results.

My thought is that as long as the sight adjustment screws and springs are in good shape, it shouldn't be an issue. I don't particularly worry about it anymore.

In all honesty, though, I've only very occasionally used either of the holsters, and never for a period exceeding 6-8 hours.

Best, Jon

The Ruger sights actually can be a problem in that the elevation screw is held in place by the spring under the sight pushing up against the screw. If the elevation is adjusted up enough that the screw doesnt have any tension from the sight when a holster pushes on it, it can move. Ive had it happen and the screw fall entirely out. Fortunately is was in the closed holster. Better designs have a thick leather tab or pad (assuming leather holster) sewn in that bears on the frame ahead of the sight blade and reduces or alleviates tension from the holster body pushing the sight down. Smith doesnt suffer from the same problem but I prefer that holsters for Smith be made with the sight pad.

Part of why my old 29 doesnt have much finish is from carrying it in various cheap leather holsters in its earlier years, but with the abrasive nature of Northern Az dust, even good holsters seem to function like sandpaper when carried much. Riding older motorcycles probably didnt help either, both in dust exposure and vibration.

OP mentioned clearing brush and cutting wood, I "get" (?!) to do a lot of that every year and my sidearm usually ends up pretty dirty/dusty. The amount of small debris like slivers of bark, pine needles etc. that I've cleaned out of obscure places on my revolvers led me to just use a fanny pack as it's completely enclosed and easy to slide to the side if need be for that type of work. Also holds 2 speedloaders.

^^^ Reminded me of cutting firewood in the Flagstaff area. I cut for friends and to sell sometimes. The area was covered in volcanic cinders. We cut juniper (locally called cedar) and pinyon juniper, preferably ones killed by lightening, as they were filled with pitch and would burn all night long in the woodstove. I carried the 29 everywhere in those days. The tree bark collected windblown dirt and dust, cutting them with the chainsaw resulted in sparks flying from the chain from the dust/volcanic cinders embedded there. Not surprising how hard that country is on blued guns. It was like removing the grit from 320 grade wet-or-dry sandpaper and blowing it all over everything you owned, then letting it rub on everything when walking or riding. The 29 never balked in any way, even when not really cleaned much for months other than perhaps blowing the dust off now and then (like blowing with your mouth, not compressed air) and wiping it off on a shirt sleeve or dirty t-shirt if it got wet or particularly dusty. Motorcycles and cutting firewood are hard on gun finishes.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I bet the saw chains didn’t like it much either!

I ended up with a basic Threepersons style rig for the GP100. The HK USP has a Dale Fricke Archangel set up per GJM with an ALS fork. The Model 28 has a pancake rig, but would like to find a Threepersons as well for that.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Seems like we had to stop and sharpen the chain a lot for some reason.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    One thing I'm not totally happy with is the overall height front the trigger guard to the top strap causes the inside of the holster to bear against the rear sight blade - basically, that's where a lot of the force retaining it is applied. Wouldn't be a huge issue with fixed sights, but with adjustable target sights, especially ones that have been criticized from time to time for not holding zero, it concerns me. Also, the inside of the holster in that area isn't the smooth nylon weave, it's the heavy, rough, ribbed webbing that's visible at the top of the front on the outside, wrapped down into the inside. So it may at the least rub finish off the sight, especially if any dust gets added to the mix.

Not giving up on it, just noting it's not quite perfect. Will continue to seek solutions.
    So once I got the Bowen Rough Country sight installed on the GP Match Champion, and it went in and out of the Bianchi UM84R flap holster a few times, I noticed that the nice, flat black coating on upper corners of the sight blade was beginning to be a little more matte black, a trend that needed to stop immediately. As noted above, it would not be an issue with a fixed-sight revolver. Would probably be fine with a K frame. I don't have an L frame to try. Will probably hang onto the holster until I finally get off my duff and decide to sell my K frames.

One factor is timing. I'm trying to get some poop aligned prior to TacCon, and this is one of the pieces. Did some reading, including online reviews and some recommendations on P-F, and decided to roll with the Bianchi 111 Cyclone, #12694. There is an Amazon review showing the GPMC fitting in it well. With some saved up discounts and President's Day pricing, it was under $60 shipped and taxed.
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/bianchi...-HT5-111-12694

It's not the dark brown shown in a lot of stock photos; it's basically a slightly darkened natural leather color. Also smells like some kinda solvent - not quite turpentine, but probably closer to that than anything else that comes to mind. I'm assuming that will dissipate after it lives in some TX heat for awhile.

It was pretty stiff going in and getting the snap fastened around the hammer spur the first time, but I think it will work out well in the end. The key dimension is the front of the trigger guard to the rear of the hammer spur. The snap strap will eventually take on a little more curve to shorten its path around the spur. I may shave out a little more contour from the leather at the front of the trigger guard. I am planning to go ahead with it for now.

Which leads to a new issue. I could see this one coming, but figured I'd wait and see if the holster was likely to work well before addressing it. This holster is brown, and needs a 1.75 inch wide belt. All my belts are black and 1.5 wide.

I want to keep this one reasonably traditional and appropriate in color group and style for the holster. I'm thinking the Galco SB5 may be a good option. Perhaps not the absolute finest available, but likely serviceable and not disappointing in any significant way. Any comments, experience, alternate recommendations?
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/galco-s...-DFEBBD-SB5-38

Long term, I also have one of the Lipsey's 5-inch, half-lug GP100s. When I finally get the MC all dialed in, I plan to do it all over again with the blued gun. Assuming that turns out as well as the MC is on its way to being, my plan is to get a Milt Sparks AW200 and belt for it. The resulting setup would also work well for the MC, obviously. But that's probably a few years in the future the way things go, and custom leather from MS couldn't get done in time for TacCon next month in any case.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Some holsters have a sight protector, with leather holsters, its a pad of thick leather sewn in the front edge of the holster just below the level of the rear sight blade, so the holster bears on the frame just ahead of the sight instead of the sight itself. Its probably useful with fixed sights as well to reduce finish wear on the rear end of the sight and ending up with the blue worn off and reflecting light. Anyway, when done right, they seriously reduce or eliminate sight blade wear. Ruger adjustable sights are prone to changing elevation adjustment if the rear sight is raised up much, I lost the screw from one because of that, though it ended up in the bottom of the closed holster.

You can reduce the potential for elevation changes from holsters by running the rear sight down all the way, then up maybe 4-6 clicks, then zeroing elevation by filing the front sight. You are left with some adjustment range, but the sight isnt pushed back below the point the elevation screw has no tension to stay in place. Ive done this on every Ruger revolver Ive had since about 1974. S&W sights dont suffer from this problem, they have maintained zero in hard use and crappy holsters. I have no qualms about S&W adjustable sights.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

My ranch handgun toting around solution is a Kramer Leather MSP paddle holster for my Security Six 2.75”. The design keeps the revolver tucked close to my body, stable/snug/secure and it’s super easy on and off when I need to remove it. I wear it all the time including while working. Lots of snakes here in Central Texas so I keep the first chamber loaded with snake shot. That’s the primary reason for a revolver being top choice for this role. They aren’t cheap holsters but I think they are worth it based on my experience. This is my 3rd one. My first one I use with my S&W 29 3” and have logged plenty of miles and days with it hiking and hunting and have had it for years.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by medmo; 02-22-2020 at 10:45 AM.

Awaiting a simply rugged cattleman for my M19. I'm hoping it will sit a little lower than my threepersons.

User Tag List