Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Field Holster

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Field Holster

Perhaps this belongs in the Holster/EDC Sub-Forum, but since it’s wheelgun related...and this is the place for all things revolver I thought I’d toss it here.

I’m looking for a rig for my .44spl GP100 3”. This has become my new roustabout field gun up north, along with my Mossberg pump. I have a DeSantis Scabbard OWB that carries the gun very nicely. I’m looking for something that perhaps is more suited when clearing brush or doing chainsaw work. My thought are the OWB may get hung up when in the thick, or become an issue working the saw. I’m tossing around the idea of a vertical shoulder rig...something that I wont care if it gets abused...maybe like an Uncle Mikes.

Im sure there are plenty of folks here who have spent more time doing the above than I’ve been eating solid food...so I thought I’d ask for ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Hill people gear snubby kit bag?

I've really become a fan of the Kenai chest holster, FWIW it is my first pick for outdoors work and play. A friend has the Diamond D chest holster for Super Alaskan and it is comfortable as well.

Depending on climate and what you may need to carry with you the Kit Bag is still a great option.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I have been very happy with a Hill People Gear kit bag for my Glock 20.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Another HPG user here. Four-inch GP100 in a Kit Bag.

Although it is made for a 4" barrel, the Bianchi UM84R is a good choice for your GP100 if you want a belt holster. I have several and they are very tough and provide almost complete protection for the gun. Not fast to draw from, but with practice they're not too bad.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks for the input. Not being a “shoulder holster guy” I have no idea on how unstable my idea might actually be in practice. My thoughts of “getting the gun out of the way” might actually be the exact opposite.

This is just one man's opinion, but I find chest/shoulder rigs to be MUCH more "in the way" than a good OWB hip holster when being physically active in the field. Might just be me and the fact that my shoulders are very broad, but if anything's getting tangled up in the bush, it's usually not my hips. Likewise when I'm working an axe (usually just screwing around throwing tomahawks for me now), I don't want a bunch of crap hanging in front of my chest or under my off-arm.

The Desantis Speed Scabbard may not be the best "field" holster just from a durability perspective, but a similar holster in kydex or more robust leather might just be the trick...

Field Holster

I am that weird guy I guess... but the most comfortable thing for me when I’m screwing around at the ranch is 3:30 IWB with my shirt tucked in behind the grip. When doing outdoors/hunting/manual labor anything else is just uncomfortable, floppy, and bangs into stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Crews; 01-31-2018 at 11:48 AM.

User Tag List