Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Anybody got any real rounds through a Kimber K6s?

On the Wiley SP the front sight and insert are level and fire POI/POA with my carry load which is Hornady 140 357 FTX Critical Duty. On the 3" the front sight is a Trijicon night sight and to make POI?POI square up I hold the middle of the tritium vial level with the top of the trough of the rear sight. My practice load for both duplicates the Speer GDHP short barrel load. Hope this answers your question.

Site Supporter
    Yes it does, thank you.
    Adam

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    The SP 101 is slightly larger than an S&W J-Snub, and just large enough for me to shoot reasonably well, so that I am OK if the largest gun I am carrying is an SP101. There is not much clearance for a speed-loader, but I would rather not remove grip material, because I want every bit of that rubber to stay there, for better control of the weapon, and recoil mitigation. The best speed-load for an SP101 is another gun, at least for me. I really did carry multiple SP101 revolvers, for several years.

The GP100, with the original, pre-Hogue, square-butt OEM grip, fits me better than any handgun I have ever tried. I have read some accounts of the occasional QC issue, but a carefully-selected and vetted GP100 is my idea of the perfect defensive revolving pistol.

These are quite different handguns. The size gap actually IS substantial. Try to handle and test-shoot before making a buying decision.
    I was passing by the general part of town where Collector's Firearms is this afternoon, and stopped in, as is my habit when the opportunity arises. They have several K6s, and I handled one. The trigger was OK, but not remarkable. Nothing like my slicked up GP MC, certainly. The grip shape doesn't come close to working for me, and there aren't many options at this point. The overall style of the design leaves me cold compared to an SP or J, regardless of variations in fit and finish. It's like going back to the 1980s and early days of CNC machining when programming was primitive and everything looked like it was drawn with a ruler for a few years. On the sample I handled, the grinding/sanding of the finish had included the muzzle, to the point where it got down into the crown surface and obliterated the machined surface of the crown on one side. There were also runs of what appeared to be thread locking compound that had solidified between the frame and the plastic bag it was shipped in. Didn't impress as being reliably better made than a Ruger or Smith.

I quoted Rex above just to point out that for the price of one K6, you can have a pair or even three SPs or aluminum J-frames, so the one extra round seems a bit less of an advantage.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I was passing by the general part of town where Collector's Firearms is this afternoon, and stopped in, as is my habit when the opportunity arises. They have several K6s, and I handled one. The trigger was OK, but not remarkable. Nothing like my slicked up GP MC, certainly. The grip shape doesn't come close to working for me, and there aren't many options at this point. The overall style of the design leaves me cold compared to an SP or J, regardless of variations in fit and finish. It's like going back to the 1980s and early days of CNC machining when programming was primitive and everything looked like it was drawn with a ruler for a few years. On the sample I handled, the grinding/sanding of the finish had included the muzzle, to the point where it got down into the crown surface and obliterated the machined surface of the crown on one side. There were also runs of what appeared to be thread locking compound that had solidified between the frame and the plastic bag it was shipped in. Didn't impress as being reliably better made than a Ruger or Smith.

I quoted Rex above just to point out that for the price of one K6, you can have a pair or even three SPs or aluminum J-frames, so the one extra round seems a bit less of an advantage.
    Agree 100%. I was fired up about the K6s but every sample I have handled has not impressed me with fit and finish and obvious quality-control lapses. For a revolver retailing for north of $800 in its base model that's just unacceptable. I likely will end up with a K6s eventually, but it'll likely be a clean, used, gun that already has had its bugs worked out or smoothed over.

Another way to look at it is; for the price of one new K6, one could have a clean, used SP101 with a great duty tune/carry package (including all chamfering, recuts, etc. and a bead blast finish) and front sight of choice on it.

Now that I’m typing, I think I see my next gun coming up by the side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Another way to look at it is; for the price of one new K6, one could have a clean, used SP101 with a great duty tune/carry package (including all chamfering, recuts, etc. and a bead blast finish) and front sight of choice on it.

Now that I’m typing, I think I see my next gun coming up by the side of the road.
    I am pretty well set on a K6s or a Night Cobra as my next wheelgun, but your post has me curious. Who is currently doing Ruger work worth paying for?
    The opinions above are my own and do not represent any current or former employer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    I am pretty well set on a K6s or a Night Cobra as my next wheelgun, but your post has me curious. Who is currently doing Ruger work worth paying for?
    https://www.geminicustoms.com/ruger-revolvers/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Fineis View Post
    Also, http://www.clementscustomguns.com/sp101.html

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I just saw a gun that came back from them a few months ago. Didn't get to shoot it - just handled it a bit at the shop. Damned impressive work they did.

Quote Originally Posted by zeleny View Post
    Fired the 2" model at SHOT 2017; the 3" one this year. Anything it can do, a 3" MR73 can do better.
    Yes, but that is kind of like saying "anything a horse can do a unicorn can do better." Where (in the US) can you get a decent MR73 of any barrel length?

User Tag List