Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody got any real rounds through a Kimber K6s?

I too have been intrigued by the K6, the moreso after dry firing it quite a bit at the LGS.

It definitely has the shortest, lightest and smoothest out-of-the-box trigger I've ever experienced for a DA revolver of this similar-to-SP101 size category.

Still, it's a 6-shot steel revolver (not to mention that MSRP is just under $1000), and my age and circumstances would favor .38 Special rather than .357 Magnum loads, as well as lighter rather than heavier weight, in a CCW revolver, so on those relatively rare occasions that I do carry a small revolver instead of a G26 or Colt CCO (e.g., hot weather with shorts and T shirt), it's a J-frame S&W 340PD for me.

And so...until I learn of a sufficiently compelling reason to buy one, I'll continue to admire them from afar.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Not much in the way of new info, but, I saw the 3" in person at a Cabellas today. It is... not much to look at. Something about the proportions are just very wrong. And I LOVE 3" wheelies, typically. Hoo boy... no 3" sp101 for sure, let alone a 3" K-frame.

Anyways...

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    I too have been intrigued by the K6, the moreso after dry firing it quite a bit at the LGS.

It definitely has the shortest, lightest and smoothest out-of-the-box trigger I've ever experienced for a DA revolver of this similar-to-SP101 size category.
    Fired the 2" model at SHOT 2017; the 3" one this year. Anything it can do, a 3" MR73 can do better.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

Ugly is in the eyes of the beholder! Bought my K6 3" put 38 & 357 downrange....love it! As for age.....I'm 74. K6 3" Apex carry in a Stickie holster for 8 hrs. straighten problem.Wt.feels a little strange at first, all edges are melted maybe a little top heavy but not unpleasant.Loaned it to a good friend going to a private range, he was hitting steel targets at distance with no problem....he is buying a K6! I also have a S&W model 65 3" which is now a safe queen.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Sayoc01 View Post
    Ugly is in the eyes of the beholder! Bought my K6 3" put 38 & 357 downrange....love it! As for age.....I'm 74. K6 3" Apex carry in a Stickie holster for 8 hrs. straighten problem.Wt.feels a little strange at first, all edges are melted maybe a little top heavy but not unpleasant.Loaned it to a good friend going to a private range, he was hitting steel targets at distance with no problem....he is buying a K6! I also have a S&W model 65 3" which is now a safe queen.
    Jim
    My 3" SP101 does not want to hear this kind of talk

I refrain from calling firearms ugly... kind of a pot 'n kettle thing for me

Have the Kimber and the WC SP and the Kimber wins hands down on fit, finish, smothness of action and carryability. SP is a good snubby but the Kimber is better. And it is a six shooter. Kinda like a Colt DS dressed up for the dance, in the 21st century. All I've shot through the K6s is magnums and it hasn't stuttered. Can't say that about the SP. It just got back from NH for locking up when shooting 357s.

I am waiting for someone to put multiple tens of thousands of rounds through these, before I even start looking at them. This must include some intense firing sessions, getting everything really hot.

My 1997-1998-era Kimber 1911 pistols did not inspire confidence. Unlike those 1911 Kimbers, one cannot shop elsewhere for parts.

Maybe Kimber has learned something, since then, but perhaps not.
    Last edited by Rex G; 03-02-2018 at 04:44 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I am waiting for someone to put multiple tens of thousands of rounds through these, before I even start looking at them. This must include some intense firing sessions, getting everything really hot.

My 1997-1998-era Kimber 1911 pistols did not inspire confidence. Unlike those 1911 Kimbers, one cannot shop elsewhere for parts.

Once again, posts like this one ^^^ are why I love pf. When a "rookie" such as myself gets all excited about a new firearm, the voices of experience arrive to calm me down a bit. I'm still anxious, but can certainly wait. Thanks, Rex.

So far, the Kimber K6S buyers are more "carriers" and not so much "shooters".
    I'm also looking to see reviews where the round counts are in the thousands to see the K6S' reliability.

I already got the understanding the K6S' looks good and feels good, but what breaks and how well is Kimber handling any repair/replacement issues if ever needed.
    Last edited by L-2; 03-02-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post

Gun folk have long memories.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List