Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Beretta’s D hammer spring in PX4 Storms- Evaluation after long term use

Just to confirm, this thread is referring the PX4-specific "D" spring, correct? Any info on that spring weight vs the stock spring?
    Last edited by Bobert1035; 11-18-2019 at 01:03 PM.

Cougar D

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert1035 View Post
    Just to confirm, this thread is referring the PX4-specific "D" spring, correct? Any info on that spring weight vs the stock spring?
    Confirmed. This "D" spring is from the Beretta Cougar. It is being carried by Beretta as recommended for the PX4. Part # EU00043

The PX4 D model does not use a different spring. All PX4s use the same spring. Even the Competition Trigger Group has the same weight spring, just nickel coated. It is not like other pistols that have a different D model spring. However, Beretta uses the Cougar's since dimensions are the same. A spring from or for a model 92 would be about 3 coils too long.

It is estimated by Beretta that the stock PX4 spring would produce 20# functional weight. A D spring would produce 16#. Now, before we compare with Wilson Combat springs for a model 92, there is a "translation" equivalent, so to speak.

A 12# WC spring will be a tiny bit stronger in a PX4 than a Cougar D spring. A model 92 D spring would be stronger than a stock PX4 spring if placed in a PX4.

Just pointing out that spring weight versus spring power delivered would depend upon which pistol it's placed in.

Thanks for the clarification, as that's sort of where I was going. Since 92 and PX4 springs are "interchangeable", I wanted to understand the differences. FWIW, I'm running a LTT 11# in my PX4 with no issues (minimal round count compared to your PX4 Tracker, range only), and a 92 "D" in my 92F.

11#

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert1035 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification, as that's sort of where I was going. Since 92 and PX4 springs are "interchangeable", I wanted to understand the differences. FWIW, I'm running a LTT 11# in my PX4 with no issues (minimal round count compared to your PX4 Tracker, range only), and a 92 "D" in my 92F.
    We have installed a couple of 11# springs in our Storm 9 full size and in one of our SubCompacts. I don't shoot the full size much, so it has 1,101 rounds on it. My wife shoots the Sub more and it has 4,600 rounds on that 11# spring. I have her use Winchester white box and all kinds of cheap stuff that might have harder primers. No light strikes yet. We do a lot of double action shooting, too. With the full size, I want it to continue with the 11# so I use Federal ammo only.

I would also note that we detail clean inside the firing pin channel and all internal slide parts every 5,000 rounds. We also do a detail frame interior cleaning every 10,000 rounds. Keeping the firing pin and its channel clean and clear, keeping the hammer face and back of slide clean help to deliver the most hammer energy to the primer.

The hammer spring will perform the same in all PX4s. https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-and-how/page7 post 66

Site Supporter
    FWIW, the 11 lb. LTT spring didn't reliably ignite Winchester NATO-spec ammo in my PX4 D. I'm pretty sure WWB uses a commercial, rather than a military, primer. I have the 12 lb. springs in my three PX4s and they work with everything, and are lighter than the Cougar D spring.

more and more data...

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    FWIW, the 11 lb. LTT spring didn't reliably ignite Winchester NATO-spec ammo in my PX4 D. I'm pretty sure WWB uses a commercial, rather than a military, primer. I have the 12 lb. springs in my three PX4s and they work with everything, and are lighter than the Cougar D spring.
    Very good and valuable information! Thanks

70,100 rounds on this D spring and no change in performance, no light strikes

80,000 rounds on this D spring and no change in performance, no light strikes

89,900 rounds on this D spring and no change in performance, no light strikes

I now have 90,100 rounds on my D spring with no light strikes.

I gave a fair chance to the chrome silicon 11# springs available from LTT. I have had to retire 3 of them. The first went 14,350 rounds in a PX4 SubCompact 9 then started to get light strikes with different brands of ammo.
    Next I retired an 11# spring from my PX4 .45 range pistol (#1) with 14,070 rounds on it for light strikes with S&B target loads.
    The replacement 11# spring only went 4,600 rounds before giving light strikes.
    I have one other 11# spring in the testing stage currently.
    All firing pin channels are kept clean. The hammer face and back of the slide are cleaned after each shooting session (200-300 rounds).

In all cases when the 11# spring was replaced with a Beretta D spring for the PX4 Storm... no light strikes.

User Tag List