Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta’s D hammer spring in PX4 Storms- Evaluation after long term use

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    i did do 5 pulls in each mode with each spring. those are the most common readings. if i got 3 readings at 4.0, and 2 at 4.25, then i reported 4.0 as the answer.
    DAB, Good info again, thanks. I have not handled a hammer spring for a model 92, but I understand that they are 3 coils longer than one for a PX4. If that is the case, the 12# 92 spring would deliver more than 12#s in a PX4 because of increased compression.

This is a good question for Mr. Langdon, and an opportunity to attempt to try tagging him (again). Though, I see that Tom_Jones tagged him for us.
    @LangdonTactical (hopefully he will understand all the tagging is not nagging, but learning how to tag!

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    So, as far as springs go, the #12 Wilson spring [92FS] should cover most domestic ammo/primers? I was going to go with the #16 in my 92c, probably still will.
    1986s4, When I spoke to Wilson Combat over a year ago, when first investigating this, they said they recommend the 12# or 14# for competition and the 16# or 18# for self defense (this is in a model 92)

Wilson says the 12# spring in a 92 will ignite all domestic 9mm ammo. guess that leaves other stuff in doubt, like Tula. i've never tried stuff like that, i stick to quality brass cased ammo.
    DAB, I did not see this until after posting what Wilson Combat told me. Perhaps, your information is more current than mine.

springs are rated on force per unit of compression. so a 12# spring is 12 pounds of force for each inch of compression. the length is dictated by the distance it has to transmit its force. the longer the hammer spur, the longer the spring needed.

so i would not mix and match springs from gun A to gun B.

spring rates are due to stiffness of the metal, size of the metal, the number of coils per inch. so it is possible to have two springs that are the same length, have the same number of coils, and have the same size cross section, but still have different spring rates due to the material properties of the metal.

the material properties depend on the metal composition (the alloy of steel), and the type of heat treating it received - both things the average person cannot measure or know.

just a little info from an old mechanical engineer.
    Last edited by DAB; 01-30-2018 at 01:28 PM.

To add to this numbers, I have been using an SD spring in my 9mm Px4 Full Size, doing many dry fire drills, probably exceeding 20,000 on the single spring, brought the full weight, but coated spring to around 8.6 lbs. DA and 3.7 lbs. SA.

springs are rated on force per unit of compression. so a 12# spring is 12 pounds of force for each inch of compression. the length is dictated by the distance it has to transmit its force. the longer the hammer spur, the longer the spring needed.

so i would not mix and match springs from gun A to gun B.

spring rates are due to stiffness of the metal, size of the metal, the number of coils per inch. so it is possible to have two springs that are the same length, have the same number of coils, and have the same size cross section, but still have different spring rates due to the material properties of the metal.

the material properties depend on the metal composition (the alloy of steel), and the type of heat treating it received - both things the average person cannot measure or know.

just a little info from an old mechanical engineer.
    Excellent! Thanks much.

Name:  spring.gif
Views: 969
Size:  31.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    This is a good question for Mr. Langdon, and an opportunity to attempt to try tagging him (again). Though, I see that Tom_Jones tagged him for us.
    (hopefully he will understand all the tagging is not nagging, but learning how to tag!
    I asked Tom to teach me and pm'd him to this thread. I am sure Ernest will not mind and will understand, as he is a teacher and realizes we are trying to educate ignorance here, not fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    I asked Tom to teach me and pm'd him to this thread. I am sure Ernest will not mind and will understand, as he is a teacher and realizes we are trying to educate ignorance here, not fix stupid.
    Well said...

@LangdonTactical In your thread on the Compact, entry #75, you wrote: "...OK, so I now have just a little over 2K through the second gun. A 1,000 of that was Winchester WinClean (known for not being the most reliable ammo) and now a second PX4 has passed the 2,000 round test. So far the best hammer spring is the Cougar "D" spring."

I have been going through the rest of the thread, but don't find- How did the D spring last for you?
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-30-2018 at 03:44 PM.

Wilson says the 12# spring in a 92 will ignite all domestic 9mm ammo. guess that leaves other stuff in doubt, like Tula. i've never tried stuff like that, i stick to quality brass cased ammo.
    When I was setting up my 92s I tried the 12# spring with S&B primers which resulted in a ten percent light strike ratio. The D spring lights off everything.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 01-30-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List