Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta’s D hammer spring in PX4 Storms- Evaluation after long term use

There is still some information that I find relevant and can supply on one end, but would like to find out from anyone else that knows: Trigger pull weights.

I've heard Chris Baker of Lucky Gunner say that he installed a D spring in his PX4 Compact and it dropped the DA from 10lbs to 8lbs. I emailed him and asked if he measured it with a trigger pull gauge and did he measure it again after 4,000 rounds (where it was at that time)? He relied that he didn't actually measure. Caleb Giddings said that he put a Wilson Combat CS 12# spring in his and got an 8lb DA. I contacted him and got no reply as to whether he measured that (other things he replies to). I contacted others as well, and got no replies. Are they all assuming that because someone said it gives you a certain weight pull, but not measuring?

My point?
    Springs do a thing called "relaxing". After a little bit they relax into the tension that will stay longer term. Trigger pull weight will show the progress of that relaxing or weakening through degradation. I can supply progress information on our D springs, but not on the Wilson Combat #12 spring. To me this is significant, since it might be a better alternative.

For example: The trigger pull progress for a couple of our PX4s with D springs:

My .45- Round count is the spring's:
    4/19/17 @288 DA 7lbs 14oz, SA 3lbs 14oz
    5/22/17 @1,853 DA 7lbs 5oz, SA 3lbs 12oz
    6/1/17 @2,453 DA 6lbs 8oz, SA 3lbs 12oz
    12/6/17 @14,523 DA 6lbs 8oz, SA 3lbs 12oz
    Retire #1 D w/18,753 rounds 1/24/18

Our Compact 9, Round count is the spring's:
    6/10/17 @200 DA 7lbs 11oz, SA 3lbs 12oz
    7/8/17 @1,660 DA 7lbs 1oz, SA 3lbs 12oz
    1/17/18 @8,095 DA 6lbs 8oz, SA 3lbs 14oz

Can anyone supply this kind of measuring for a Wilson Combat #12 spring, so we can see if it is initial tension or quality of metallurgy that maintains without degradation?

Attachment 23413

Also, if the WC is giving an 8lb DA and the D spring gave a 6.5lb DA for tens of thousands of rounds... that affects choice.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-30-2018 at 10:11 AM.

In Mr. Langdon's thread on the Compact he stated, "...the trigger is now under 7 pounds DA and right at 4 pounds SA. I really like the Trijicon HD Sights. In fact, I now have over 4,000 rounds through this gun with no problems. The only failure I have had with the PX4 was in firing with the 115 WinClean..." And of another pistol, "...and more aggressive trigger work. The DA on this one is just over 6 pounds and the SA is 3.5 pounds...."

I could not find definitions of starting weights, but was this spring relaxing or expert trigger work that dropped friction and lowered the pull weight?

I still don't know how to tag @Langdon Tactical (rude to refer to him and not let him know )
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-30-2018 at 10:32 AM.

i just put a 12# wilson spring in my old 92F, and measured the pulls with a RCBS trigger gauge.

before with D spring:
    DA-8.25, SA-4.5

after with 12# wilson:
    DA-7.25, SA-4.0

both fairly new, the D only had a few hundred rounds on it, the 12# was fresh out of the package.

later took the 12# to the range, ignited all PMC 115gr and all Fed american eagle 147gr.

so that's one data point.

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    In Mr. Langdon's thread on the Compact he stated, "...the trigger is now under 7 pounds DA and right at 4 pounds SA. I really like the Trijicon HD Sights. In fact, I now have over 4,000 rounds through this gun with no problems. The only failure I have had with the PX4 was in firing with the 115 WinClean..." And of another pistol, "...and more aggressive trigger work. The DA on this one is just over 6 pounds and the SA is 3.5 pounds...."

I could not find definitions of starting weights, but was this spring relaxing or expert trigger work that dropped friction and lowered the pull weight?

I still don't know how to tag @Langdon Tactical (rude to refer to him and not let him know )

Could it have something to do with putting a space in his name, where there is none?
    @LangdonTactical instead of @ Langdon Tactical, with the mention tag in the advanced setting?
    php tag [PHP @LangdonTactical[/PHP]
    code tag [CODE @LangdonTactical[/CODE]
    html tag [HTML @LangdonTactical[/HTML]
    quote tag [QUOTE @LangdonTactical[/QUOTE]
    Let's see if any work.

Never done it myself, so I am trying to learn to help both of us.
    Last edited by beenalongtime; 01-30-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    Could it have something to do with putting a space in his name, where there is none?
    @@LangdonTactical instead of @ Langdon Tactical, with the mention tag in the advanced setting?
    php tag
    PHP Code:
    @LangdonTactical 
    code tag
    Code:
    @LangdonTactical
    html tag
    HTML Code:
    @LangdonTactical
    quote tag
    Let's see if any work.

Never done it myself, so I am trying to learn to help both of us.
    Appreciated. If you figure it out, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    i just put a 12# wilson spring in my old 92F, and measured the pulls with a RCBS trigger gauge.

before with D spring:
    DA-8.25, SA-4.5

after with 12# wilson:
    DA-7.25, SA-4.0

both fairly new, the D only had a few hundred rounds on it, the 12# was fresh out of the package.

later took the 12# to the range, ignited all PMC 115gr and all Fed american eagle 147gr.

so that's one data point.
    Thanks!

i did do 5 pulls in each mode with each spring. those are the most common readings. if i got 3 readings at 4.0, and 2 at 4.25, then i reported 4.0 as the answer.

So, as far as springs go, the #12 Wilson spring [92FS] should cover most domestic ammo/primers? I was going to go with the #16 in my 92c, probably still will.

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    So, as far as springs go, the #12 Wilson spring [92FS] should cover most domestic ammo/primers? I was going to go with the #16 in my 92c, probably still will.
    Wilson says the 12# spring in a 92 will ignite all domestic 9mm ammo. guess that leaves other stuff in doubt, like Tula. i've never tried stuff like that, i stick to quality brass cased ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    It’s not hard to tag someone. You simply put an @ in front of their username — their actual, correctly spelled, username.

@LangdonTactical
    Thanks! I tried it, it worked.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-30-2018 at 01:03 PM.

User Tag List