Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta’s D hammer spring in PX4 Storms- Evaluation after long term use

Beretta’s D hammer spring in PX4 Storms- Evaluation after long term use

When I first considered the use of Beretta’s optional D hammer spring there was not a lot of information nor specific data on long term use.

Those that had tried it liked it, but no one was putting tens of thousands of rounds on one. With the available options, like Wilson Combat’s 12# spring for a M-92 having a good reputation, I wanted to test the Beretta spring.

I hope this thread can open a conversation that will share more on the subject.

Attachment 23402

Attachment 23403

I put 18,753 rounds on a D spring until I retired it. The last 3 shooting sessions I was getting 1 light strike (out of 300 rounds, over 35% DA). Then, I got 2 light strikes out of 300 rounds. That was it for me.
    I put in a new D spring and there were no light strikes. I did not do any other cleaning nor change any other conditions, ammo was from the same lot.

It is true that the Winchester white box 230 grn FMJ is known to have hard primers. My shooting partner was not getting light strikes in his PX4 .45 SD with 11,645 rounds on his D spring.

I have newer D springs in my EDC PX4 .45, full size .40. Our PX4 SubCompact 9 (1,753 rounds on D spring) & PX4 Compact 9 (8,691 rounds on D spring). The Compact had a few light strikes with Winchester, so we switched to Federal and UMC. My shooting partner has a D spring in his PX4 full size .40 with 1,855 rounds on that spring.
    Last edited by PX4 Storm Tracker; 01-29-2018 at 03:56 PM.

Additional note on timing:

The timing for this thread is not connected to anything other than my D spring retirement this week. It is not a comparison to the new PX4 Carry using a Wilson Combat #12 92 spring. If one were to compare, it would only prove that LTT was smart for choosing a WC CS #12 spring over the D spring. 50,000 rounds on his full size Storm and more on his Compacts are way better longevity reports.

I don't believe all 50k rounds were on the same hammer spring, but I could be mistaken

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I don't believe all 50k rounds were on the same hammer spring, but I could be mistaken
    Bill, I am pretty sure he mentioned that it was the same, one spring. I am new to this Forum, I don't know how to tag Mr. Langdon to ask. Do you know how to?

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Bill, I am pretty sure he mentioned that it was the same, one spring. I am new to this Forum, I don't know how to tag Mr. Langdon to ask. Do you know how to?
    @LangdonTactical

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    Last edited by That Guy; 01-30-2018 at 12:03 AM.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Post 642 here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....tement!/page65

Back a little further, post 487 here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ing#post659474 36,015 rounds through on one hammer spring.

These threads stick with me because they make me think I made a good decision for myself when choosing what firearm I felt fit my needs/wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Yes, all 50,000 rounds were fired with the same 12# CS spring. That was part of the test.

I replaced the hammer spring with a 12# CS spring before I fired the first shot and it is still in the gun. Not a single light strike in 50K and that includes a lot of hard primer ammo like IMI and Fiocchi.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    @LangdonTactical

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the tag, I may have never seen this.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

Quote Originally Posted by LangdonTactical View Post
    Yes, all 50,000 rounds were fired with the same 12# CS spring. That was part of the test.

I replaced the hammer spring with a 12# CS spring before I fired the first shot and it is still in the gun. Not a single light strike in 50K and that includes a lot of hard primer ammo like IMI and Fiocchi.
    Thanks for that I somehow missed that part and have been wondering how often I should replace them in my 92's you did for me. I have a long time to forget about them now.. LOL
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

User Tag List