Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Beretta’s D hammer spring in PX4 Storms- Evaluation after long term use

Ok I have a Px4 DAO 45acp. It wears my finger out shooting. Will this reduce the trigger weight?

Finger saver

Quote Originally Posted by Ed4032 View Post
    Ok I have a Px4 DAO 45acp. It wears my finger out shooting. Will this reduce the trigger weight?
    Yes! It is normal for a D spring to reduce the double action trigger pull from the usual 10 or 11 lbs to between 7 and 8 lbs.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-ac...00-px4-series/

Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    I now have 90,100 rounds on my D spring with no light strikes.

I gave a fair chance to the chrome silicon 11# springs available from LTT. I have had to retire 3 of them. The first went 14,350 rounds in a PX4 SubCompact 9 then started to get light strikes with different brands of ammo.
    Next I retired an 11# spring from my PX4 .45 range pistol (#1) with 14,070 rounds on it for light strikes with S&B target loads.
    The replacement 11# spring only went 4,600 rounds before giving light strikes.
    I have one other 11# spring in the testing stage currently.
    All firing pin channels are kept clean. The hammer face and back of the slide are cleaned after each shooting session (200-300 rounds).

In all cases when the 11# spring was replaced with a Beretta D spring for the PX4 Storm... no light strikes.

So you have counted out the 10 and 11# springs, what about the 12# (close but not the same as the d spring, estimate was 1/2# difference)?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ed4032 View Post
    Yes! It is normal for a D spring to reduce the double action trigger pull from the usual 10 or 11 lbs to between 7 and 8 lbs.
    Wouldn't his DAO PX4 be a PX4D and already have the "D" spring in the gun?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Nope, they came with the standard-weight spring. I know mine did.

12#

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    So you have counted out the 10 and 11# springs, what about the 12# (close but not the same as the d spring, estimate was 1/2# difference)?
    Thanks
    Though I have never tried a 12# spring, it has a reputation for complete reliability. With the measurements that I have heard of people getting compared to the measurements of trigger pull that I get with a D spring, I have found the 12# spring to be a little bit heavier. That is why I did not use it as an option.

Nomenclature

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    All of the PX4 Storms come with the same full heavy weight hammer spring, including the type D.

It is actually a spring taken from the Cougar, type D. Since it is the same specs as a PX4 it is technically a Cougar D spring, but fits exactly in a PX4.

92,730 rounds- retirement

@141,100 rounds on my PX4 .45G range pistol I had gotten a light strike that day in double action with an S&B 230 grain FMJ load at the range. This D spring had 92,730 rounds on it before giving a light strike. I retired it.

I installed a D spring that had 9,248 rounds of use in my wife's SubCompact 9 range pistol. I put 200 rounds on it so far with no light strikes.

I have an observation from experience that seems to hold true here. When my double action pull gets under 6 lbs light strikes can occur. My old D spring was delivering a 5 lbs, 14 oz DA pull (I knew it was just a matter of time). This newer spring delivers a 6 lbs, 3 oz DA and a 3 lbs, 8 oz SA.

I have continually monitored locktime to make sure that the old (original) hammer and trigger bar are still bringing the hammer as far back in the DA cocking. Locktime remains unchanged after 141,300 rounds. The firing pin channel was just cleaned and the fire control unit cleaned and lubricated... so there are no mitigating factors, just hammer spring strength as far as I can determine.

92,730 rounds of use from a hammer spring being slammed back to compression by .45 ACP is still very good for a $10 spring.

Site Supporter
    @141,100 rounds on my PX4 .45G range pistol I had gotten a light strike that day in double action with an S&B 230 grain FMJ load at the range. This D spring had 92,730 rounds on it before giving a light strike. I retired it.

I installed a D spring that had 9,248 rounds of use in my wife's SubCompact 9 range pistol. I put 200 rounds on it so far with no light strikes.

I have an observation from experience that seems to hold true here. When my double action pull gets under 6 lbs light strikes can occur. My old D spring was delivering a 5 lbs, 14 oz DA pull (I knew it was just a matter of time). This newer spring delivers a 6 lbs, 3 oz DA and a 3 lbs, 8 oz SA.

I have continually monitored locktime to make sure that the old (original) hammer and trigger bar are still bringing the hammer as far back in the DA cocking. Locktime remains unchanged after 141,300 rounds. The firing pin channel was just cleaned and the fire control unit cleaned and lubricated... so there are no mitigating factors, just hammer spring strength as far as I can determine.

92,730 rounds of use from a hammer spring being slammed back to compression by .45 ACP is still very good for a $10 spring.

Beretta needs to hire you. You create a better PX4 promotion than they have.

User Tag List