Thread: Which pistol for dedicated suppressor host?

Site Supporter

Which pistol for dedicated suppressor host?

I have my stamp in for an AAC Ti-Rant 9. Primary use will be on my SIG MPX Gen 2 9mm SBR. However, I am also considering a dedicated pistol for a host for the AAC Ti-Rant 9. I do not plan on "carrying" the pistol and suppressor combo - this will be a range toy only.
    Option 1: take one of my 9mm M&Ps, etc. and buy threaded barrel and suppressor sights. Cheaper but barrel plus sights is still pricey.
    Option 2: buy a "suppressor host" factory 9mm pistol - SIG 320, CZ P07, CZ P09, M&P. Example, seen used CZ P09 "suppressor ready" for $500 in Atlanta area.
    Option 3: buy a factory 9mm pistol with red dot cut, install a red dot, buy a threaded barrel. Excuse to get into a pistol with red dot. SIG RX series or Glock MOS?

Feedback? Again, range toy.

For a range toy, I'd probably put the HK USP 9 Tactical/9SD and a Sig classic P-22x series near or at the top of the list. They're great suppressor hosts (or at least I would expect the USP to be, I have a USP 45 I manually upgraded to "Tactical" specs and it's a great 45acp host). The USP will probably be more utterly reliable for longer than the Sig, but the Sig, at least for me, has nicer lockwork and is a bit more enjoyable to actually use. The Sig RX models will make the USP seem like a bargain, however, even if the USP isn't optics-ready. You could always use a laser for aiming vs the sights or optic if you wanted to not worry about swapping sights, either..

If you wanted to step outside the box, maybe a Walther PPQ threaded model? I have a P99 that I dropped a PPQ threaded barrel kit into (apparently recent manufacture P99s use identical barrels to the PPQ) and it's a really fun suppressor host, especially with an AAC Illusion on it, which doesn't need taller sights to sight over. Also, the PPQ I know comes with several optics-ready models...I don't know if any of them come with a threaded barrel though.

I have a CZ P01 Omega suppressor ready model that works great and has been %100 reliable suppressed; admittedly I've only put around 500, maybe 600 rounds through it with a can on. I would expect the P07 or P09 to be just as nice with a can, even though they are nearly %100 different in every appreciable way.

I also have a Sig P320 Tactical Compact threaded barrel suppressor-ready model...and my experience with that has been the opposite of the CZ, including a return trip to Sig for a new barrel after it managed to strip it's threads, by inducing an end cap strike less than 100 rounds through the gun from new. Hit the end cap, destroyed it, yanked the can over the barrel threads, destroying those. Fortunately, no damage to the tube or any baffles. Sig replaced the barrel but once bitten twice shy...beyond basic function testing, I haven't had it to the range since I got it back. My experience with the classic P series has been far, far better than my experience with the P320 when suppressed. Full disclosure, it may have been the shit Federal (Or Winchester, I forget which) aluminum cased 9mm I was using for it's initial shakedown cruise...but none of my other pistols had an issue with that same ammo, so who knows. Keep in mind, this is a sample size of one, so YMMV.

There's also always a 1911 in 9mm with a threaded barrel...it might be overkill, but it's probably one step above shooting a suppressed 22lr, recoil wise. Hard to get more fun than that.

None of this is probably very helpful

I don't have a wide variety of experience with pistol cans outside Glocks. My G21 G4 runs with an Osprey and KKM bbl. my G17 and G34 (both Gen 4's) run with a Ti-Rant S. Zero stoppages or issues, but admittedly only a few hundred rounds through each.

If I was in the market for something different I'd look at the USP Tac, M9A3, and maybe even the new CZ P-10C Tac or APX. The advantage of the M9 is the bbl doesn't tilt when unlocked.

It will be a very long time before I give Sig any of my money after how they've behaved the last year or so.

ETA: the G17 uses a Surefire (aka Zev) bbl and the G34 a Silencerco bbl.
    Last edited by El Cid; 01-31-2018 at 07:51 PM.

HKs have the tightest lockup, especially USP or HK45 with o-ring barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In an ideal situation Id have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could be a fist for punching.

Quote Originally Posted by Abbotm2 View Post
    HKs have the tightest lockup, especially USP or HK45 with o-ring barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Sig has a tighter barrel to slide fit then my USPs if that is what you mean by lock up. Actually the barrel to slide fit on my P226 is marvelous.

USP or a Beretta 92 of some sort.

Though, if they make Q5 threaded barrels somewhere I'd do that in a heartbeat. Turns out that gun is the truth for a range toy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the 92 handle suppression well? Seems like it would give me a good excuse to get a M9A3 with the threaded barrel.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List