Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New MRDS: Holosun 507C

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I got the red since those are the first ones releasing.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So with RMRs selling for $349, what does this bring to the table at $299 other than a circle dot reticle ?
    Searching Wikiarms the cheapest I can find a type 2 adjustable RMR is $470. Assuming you meant the Type 1 RMR it brings:

Potentially better durability (no exposed battery tray/loosening battery contacts issue)

Potentially no blue tint

5 times the battery life plus solar backup

We won't know if any of the above turn out to be true until a bunch of people have a bunch of rounds downrange with a Holosun on their slide, but certainly the potential is there unlike any other dot on the market. Also I feel the option for a big reticle could be a big advantage with a handgun where initially finding the reticle is the biggest hurdle for most shooters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Searching Wikiarms the cheapest I can find a type 2 adjustable RMR is $470. Assuming you meant the Type 1 RMR it brings:

Potentially better durability (no exposed battery tray/loosening battery contacts issue)

Potentially no blue tint

5 times the battery life plus solar backup

We won't know if any of the above turn out to be true until a bunch of people have a bunch of rounds downrange with a Holosun on their slide, but certainly the potential is there unlike any other dot on the market. Also I feel the option for a big reticle could be a big advantage with a handgun where initially finding the reticle is the biggest hurdle for most shooters.
    The DPP, currently available at $339 addresses all of these but the battery life.

We may see Type 1s continue to be available as a cheaper option like the various gens of Aimpoints.

With DP Pro's selling for $399 now there seems to have been a flattening of prices in the MRDS market.
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    FIFY
    The DPP, currently available at $339 addresses all of these but the battery life.
    The battery life is a huge selling point. Also, there are tons of companies making aftermarket slides for the RMR (which this optic shares the footprint with) while very few make slides for the DPP. Also, if you want BUIS, this shouldn't need the ridiculously tall ones that the DPP requires (whether on a direct milled slide, or a MOS)
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 02-01-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    The battery life is a huge selling point. Also, there are tons of companies making aftermarket slides for the RMR (which this optic shares the footprint with) while very few make slides for the DPP. Also, if you want BUIS, this shouldn't need the ridiculously tall ones that the DPP requires (whether on a direct milled slide, or a MOS)
    Given the various branches of the U.S. Military are in the process of buying between 400,000 and 500,000 M17's and M18's which have the DPP footprint, it is likely to become the dominant MRDS footprint.

Re: Battery life, I'll believe it when I see it. I've also seen issues peculiar to the solar Holosuns where the depend on the solar and dim as soon as the solar panel is blocked.

Given the various branches of the U.S. Military are in the process of buying between 400,000 and 500,000 M17's and M18's which have the DPP footprint, it is likely to become the dominant MRDS footprint.

Re: Battery life, I'll believe it when I see it. I've also seen issues peculiar to the solar Holosuns where the depend on the solar and dim as soon as the solar panel is blocked.
    That's sad, considering the DPP is shit IMO.

The solar panel is what the Holosun uses to auto-adjust the reticle brightness (similar to how a fiber optic ACOG works).
    You can completely cover the solar panel and it will still work but you have to manually adjust the brightness with the buttons.
    At least that's how my 503CU works.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Who knows anymore. I plan running the holosun on a spare RMR slide. It could be junk, it could be awesome. I doubt you will see the DPP footprint take over in the civilian market because (to mill a Glock for it) you can not retain the rear sight dovetail without cutting into the firing pin safety channel. The only option for those that want BUIS are the rear sight in front of the optic, or Milling off the rear dovetail and using a .415” or taller front sight with the Leupold DPP rear sight. It just isn’t a good footprint for a handgun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    That's sad, considering the DPP is shit IMO.

The solar panel is what the Holosun uses to auto-adjust the reticle brightness (similar to how a fiber optic ACOG works).
    You can completely cover the solar panel and it will still work but you have to manually adjust the brightness with the buttons.
    At least that's how my 503CU works.
    SIG has already stated they are making a Romeo optic with a DPP footprint, if a big DOD contract came up (and I think it will eventually) expect an RMR with a DPP footprint as well.

I have both DPP's and RMR's they each have their own issues.

For DOD purposes swapping batteries in an RMR would required a second echelon shop / 20 series armorer task since it requires a "wrench" (hex) and involves a Torque spec to reinstall. Pretty much anything you need a tool (wrench, screwdriver etc) for is verboten for soldiers or company level armorers. Many large LE Agencies are the same - screwdriver or hex wrench = FI or Armorer level task. On that basis, the DPP battery set up makes a lot of sense.

Re the solar auto adjust, I am not a fan of that at all. Takes it out of consideration for any serious use.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-01-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Re the solar auto adjust, I am not a fan of that at all. Takes it out of consideration for any serious use.
    You can set it to manual mode and adjust the brightness via the buttons and then the solar panel just functions as a backup power source if the battery dies.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-01-2018 at 08:17 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I can't wait to hear more about these once people start using them. I've got a shotgun that it would be great on.

User Tag List