Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sig P220 Legion SAO Review

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Sig is releasing a limited run of the SAO P220 Legion Carry.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...ion-carry-sao/

https://youtu.be/DeM4ewAZrR8
    Do you have any long term thoughts about your set of SAO Legions?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Do you have any long term thoughts about your set of SAO Legions?
    I’ve been pleased - especially with the P226 and P229. The P229 had an issue with the recoil spring which was easily remedied with a spring swap. They are far more reliable with JHP ammo than any of my semi-custom 9mm 1911s. If you want a metal frame, SAO 9mm, these are damn hard to beat. This is especially true if you are like me and have tons of P-series magazines from decades of shooting the platform. From an accuracy stand point, they hold their own against my Wilsons.

I like the SAO P220, but in this case I’m not sure what a SAO P220 offers that can’t be had with a similarly priced 45ACP 1911 which has a 100+ year history of reliably cycling 45ACP ammo. The P220 magazines are less ubiquitous than P226/229 and there is no capacity advantage. However, if you love the feel of the P220 and want a SAO, then the Legion is reasonable.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I’ve been pleased - especially with the P226 and P229. The P229 had an issue with the recoil spring which was easily remedied with a spring swap. They are far more reliable with JHP ammo than any of my semi-custom 9mm 1911s. If you want a metal frame, SAO 9mm, these are damn hard to beat. This is especially true if you are like me and have tons of P-series magazines from decades of shooting the platform. From an accuracy stand point, they hold their own against my Wilsons.

I like the SAO P220, but in this case I’m not sure what a SAO P220 offers that can’t be had with a similarly priced 45ACP 1911 which has a 100+ year history of reliably cycling 45ACP ammo. The P220 magazines are less ubiquitous than P226/229 and there is no capacity advantage. However, if you love the feel of the P220 and want a SAO, then the Legion is reasonable.
    What are you using for P229 recoil springs? There's been back and forth lately on Sigtalk about what's up with the springs: the US-made braided springs (apparently) fit too tightly on the guide rod and are prone to fray; the German braided springs are gone; and I guess now there's flat-wire P229 springs floating around?

Also, the above might only apply to .40/.357 P229s (which is what I've got).

I’ve been using Wolff gunsprings in the P series Sigs for a long time. Both in work/carry guns and in my match pistols. They’re very much GTG. Here’s a link to their compact model (225/228/229) offerings:

https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG-SAUER...ID4/dID253#293

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    I’ve been using Wolff gunsprings in the P series Sigs for a long time. Both in work/carry guns and in my match pistols. They’re very much GTG. Here’s a link to their compact model (225/228/229) offerings:

https://www.gunsprings.com/SIG-SAUER...ID4/dID253#293
    Awesome! Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    What are you using for P229 recoil springs? There's been back and forth lately on Sigtalk about what's up with the springs: the US-made braided springs (apparently) fit too tightly on the guide rod and are prone to fray; the German braided springs are gone; and I guess now there's flat-wire P229 springs floating around?

Also, the above might only apply to .40/.357 P229s (which is what I've got).
    I use the factory “white” (SPRING-26 / RSS-2299) for the 9mm P229/M11-A1.

The .40/357 is the “blue” (SPRING-28 / RSS-2294).
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    This thread drift is timely; I’m just over 6K in the current spring in my 229.

Does anyone know if Sprinco USA makes springs for 9mm P229s? Or if they are GTG if they do? Apparently they are the bees knees for 1911s and I need some of them as well.

User Tag List