Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 253: 10-in-10 All Hands Drill

Week 253: 10-in-10 All Hands Drill

Week 253: 10-in-10 All Hands Drill

Results may be posted until February 26th, 2018.

Designed by: backtrail540
    Range: Varies
    Target: B8 repair center, download here - https://pistol-forum.com/attachment....1&d=1322428748
    Start Position: Holstered, see below for alternative
    Rounds Fired: Varies

This is a short drill intended to generate some gunhandling and SHO and WHO shooting. Set up the target at your choice of distance. Set the par time to 10 seconds. At the start signal, draw and fire 4 rounds freestyle, 3 rounds strong hand only, and 3 rounds support hand only. If you can't draw from the holster on your range, then start at ready and make the par time 9 seconds.

Your score is the greatest distance where you shoot clean under the par time. The scoring zone is the black bullseye of the B8.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Pistol and holster used, and concealment (optional) or ready position start (optional)
    Distance and number of failed runs (misses to the bullseye or over par time)
    Distance of furthest successful run (all hits under par time)
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Name:  IMG_20180127_164923.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  36.8 KB

New Gen5 G19 w/RMR, Dark Star Gear Rigel, Heavy pullover concealment.
    5 yards, wasn't reading directions correctly and only ran it once.

G19X, BHA 124 XTP, AIWB shaggy under a tee shirt
    Run progressively through 3, 4, 5yds, two runs at the 5 to get it.

I fired a bunch of additional runs at each playing with speeds. I found myself wanting to race too hard through the 4-OH to save time for the 3-WHO, and was as likely to shank one of the OH in a rush as I was on the WHO. Interestingly, the 3-SHO seemed the simplest.
    Last edited by ST911; 01-28-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

What a cool idea for a DoW. Have we done this one before? I must have missed it or dumped memory if we have.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    What a cool idea for a DoW. Have we done this one before? I must have missed it or dumped memory if we have.
    It's a new one i came up with on a rainy day toward the end of last year. Since it was raining i was shooting steel so i didn't have to mess with pasting etc... I was doing a bunch of variations on the test prior to that and the ten second par stuck on that(on steel i believe i started @10 as well).

Then on the next session i adapted it to paper and kept the b8 from the test as well(i couldn't pass it at 10 using the black i don't believe) Though you could get the same benefit from any target as long as you're consistent with it, for performance tracking purposes. It's been awhile since i submitted it to gabe but i believe i left the target open for him to choose, and he chose a tight one! I suck at sho/who and wanted to get some time incorporating that in and it just worked out to this.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    i couldn't pass it at 10 using the black i don't believe.
    Hell, after looking at my notes and training journal entry, it looks like I passed the version on steel(a 1/4 scale) at 12 yards but the paper version I shot at 5. I didn't even pass the all black version and started running it all scoring rings(ego must've been smashed haha) and still only passed at 5. I definitely like how Gabe has it set as all in the black better and will keep that in my version when I run it for future use and tracking.

Equipment: Gen5 17, Ameriglo sights w/“yellow” front, out of a Safariland Level 3 holster.
    Shot on indoor range, after shooting “Advanced Super Test”.
    At 5 yards, 98 points in 8.96 seconds-happy with that.
    Note: had attempted twice Friday, 1/29. 1st attempt @7yards a fail, with shots out of black. Target at 5 yards yielded 100 points, but 10.35 seconds et. So, third time was the charm here; I was more aggressive and focused, which paid off.
    I like this drill because it “tests” several skills to include primary and support hand shooting under time pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrail540 View Post
    It's a new one i came up with on a rainy day toward the end of last year. Since it was raining i was shooting steel so i didn't have to mess with pasting etc... I was doing a bunch of variations on the test prior to that and the ten second par stuck on that(on steel i believe i started @10 as well).

Then on the next session i adapted it to paper and kept the b8 from the test as well(i couldn't pass it at 10 using the black i don't believe) Though you could get the same benefit from any target as long as you're consistent with it, for performance tracking purposes. It's been awhile since i submitted it to gabe but i believe i left the target open for him to choose, and he chose a tight one! I suck at sho/who and wanted to get some time incorporating that in and it just worked out to this.
    So great!

I shot it several times today. Three times with a G43 where I modified it to 7 shots - as 3 freestyle, 2 SHO, 2 WHO with a 7 second PAR limit.

ALL SHOT AT 5 YARDS

G43
    - 7.26 seconds down 1 outside the black
    - 6.54 seconds down 1 outside the black
    - 6.76 seconds clean

G19 (proper 10 shot format)
    - 8.62 seconds down 5!!!
    - 10.96 seconds down 3

9mm Operator
    - 7.94 seconds down 2
    - 12.25 seconds down 2 - slowed by clearing a stovepipe stoppage

My my. This is worth some more effort.

My hits with the G43 are another data point for me that adds to a trail of clues in my shooting that suggest I find the grip dimensions of the G43 easier to manage SHO/WHO than the larger grips. I really did see a fouled G19 grip initially when transitioning fast to the WHO while on the clock. Those were not close misses.

Very cool DoW.
    Last edited by JHC; 02-04-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Nice idea, JHC, on modifying the drill for a 43! Maybe a “5in5” for a j frame- 3 two handed, one each shooting and support hand(?)
    I’m going to try that G43 version, methinks.
    Thanks for the report

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    So great!

I shot it several times today. Three times with a G43 where I modified it to 7 shots - as 3 freestyle, 2 SHO, 2 WHO with a 7 second PAR limit.

ALL SHOT AT 5 YARDS

G43
    - 7.26 seconds down 1 outside the black
    - 6.54 seconds down 1 outside the black
    - 6.76 seconds clean

G19 (proper 10 shot format)
    - 8.62 seconds down 5!!!
    - 10.96 seconds down 3

9mm Operator
    - 7.94 seconds down 2
    - 12.25 seconds down 2 - slowed by clearing a stovepipe stoppage

My my. This is worth some more effort.

My hits with the G43 are another data point for me that adds to a trail of clues in my shooting that suggest I find the grip dimensions of the G43 easier to manage SHO/WHO than the larger grips. I really did see a fouled G19 grip initially when transitioning fast to the WHO while on the clock. Those were not close misses.

Very cool DoW.
    Thanks JHC! I think it sounds deceptively simple until you go live. I found i had to focus on a solid grip and trigger press when shooting single handed or they were getting pulled. Which is the intent i guess, to show holes in your shooting that can be patched up. I also had to fight a tendency to bring the gun back into a compressed ready when transitioning from fs to sho to who. When i kept it at extension and only pulled the non shooting hand it helped me maintain a good sight picture and grip versus having to reacquire both during each part.

I can't wait to start live fire again in another month so i can get back to dotw.

User Tag List