Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beretta CX4?

I have one of the earlier versions of the CX4... 700 range serial number.

Very good carbine. Never had an issue with it, and from all the time I was active on BerettaForum, I really didn’t see a lot of issues with them.

Most complaints are due to the trigger, which is sort of along the lines of a DAO pull. You can lighten it up with the SierraPapa trigger/hammer kit... but it is costly. I’d put the money into a few bulk packs of 9mm (or .40... or .45), and break in the trigger while learning the gun.

One thing I actually do recommend is the SierraPapa recoil assembly. The stock guide rod/buffer are locked together with a sort of T adapter. Guide rod is plastic, buffer is hard rubber. If you ever take the CX4 apart with the hammer fired, you are going to break either the buffer or the rod... more likely the rod. Once that breaks, gun is inoperable. The SierraPapa kit uses a stainless rod, and the buffer just fits on the end like a socket. With the gun closed up, isn’t coming off. If you take it down with the hammer in the way, just put it back on when you are closing up the gun (hammer needs to be cocked, as well). I have a Bedair guide rod, which I also upgraded the bolt link to the SierraPapa one... but I’m also very aware of the hammer interaction when taking the gun down.

With that being said, wouldn’t hesitate to suggest it in that situation. Cross-bolt safety is easy to understand. If she is a lefty, easy to convert it to eject left. Charging handle can be swapped to either side... or one ran on both. Add in quality magazines (whatever pistol magazine you get... 92/96, Cougar, or PX4, make sure to get good magazines), and you have a good pistol caliber carbine.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Several years ago (2013?), Brent Yamamoto, an instructor for Suarez Int'l, spent a good bit of time working with the CX4 and evaluating it for defensive use. There were some good threads on Warriortalk as well as some blog posts on the Suarez site. Definitely take a look at that info, as Brent's evaluation was more of a prospective study than a casual after the fact impression of shooting a CX4. As far as I know, his is the best available info on the CX4.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Second edit to add: upon review, links below are probably not worth your time. Typical internet drivel, with lots of pic of guys pointing guns at each other (yes, really). Essentially no “here are my impressions of how it shoots” content.

With that disclaimer, read on...

Original post:

Here’s a link to the first of the 4 blog posts on the CX4 by Yamamoto.

http://blog.suarezinternational.com/...retta-cx4.html

I can’t say I agree with all of his assertions in the only one I’ve read so far (PCC better than shotgun for home defense, for example), they are probably worth a read...

Edited to add: here are the links for parts 3 & 4. 2 seems to be lost. And I’m still not terribly impressed with the writing...

http://blog.suarezinternational.com/...art-three.html
    http://blog.suarezinternational.com/...part-four.html
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 01-26-2018 at 05:45 PM.

This isn't terribly comprehensive info, but there's a fair number of Cx4s floating around the local departments in NJ. I've never heard anything about real issues with them....all the complaints I heard are about mag capacity vs an M4, UMP, MP5, etc, and the fact that it's a PCC in general.

I have a buddy that owns one and I thought it was actually a nice gun for what it is, and he never had any problems with it. I don't have any hard data on MRBF or parts breakage, though.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    2 seems to be lost.
    Thank you for taking the time to look up and share those links. Part two probably has the most relevant information. I was able to pull up a cached copy via the internet wayback machine:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20130130...-part-two.html

i've been very happy with the CX4 storm. it is incredibly lightweight and reliable. it runs HP's just fine too which is not always the case w a blowback. my only real gripe is the absurd stock design makes it near impossible for me to reach the mag release with my thumb. i have to engage it with my left hand. the trigger is also very heavy although this really only becomes an issue if shooting at longer ranges or trying to shoot fast. otherwise it's fine.

the CZ evo 3 also looks nice. for the $$ it might be an even better option than the beretta. i haven't shot one yet. the prices on the MPX are coming down too so if the budget allows would consider it.

Is the safety just a trigger block safety? Can it be stored with a round in a chamber, or does it need to be stored with an empty chamber?
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Is the safety just a trigger block safety? Can it be stored with a round in a chamber, or does it need to be stored with an empty chamber?
    It is a standard cross-bolt safety... and not something that will come off accidentally. Side note, it is reversible.

It can be stored with a round in the chamber. It has a firing pin block, as well as an internal hammer safety.

LGS has a used one. And I'm going to do anything with that .410 over/under I have...
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 01-27-2018 at 08:17 PM.

User Tag List