Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Missed it by that much... is it you or the gun. POA-POI.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    They’re already test firing the guns, why not just make adjustments based on that to regulate?
    I'm not sure that "test firing" is the same as checking accuracy, because I'm pretty sure they just fire them into clearing barrels/water tanks and pick up the brass and throw it in the envelope. I'm not even sure that guns are function tested beyond the two rounds they fire for that purpose, from most manufacturers. Otherwise, I can't envision how some guns end up on dealer shelves.

Some guns clearly are though, the Colt Special Combat Government, for instance gets fired 5-rounds at 15-yards and includes the test target. But Series 70 Colt Repros don't include a test target and near as I can tell are not test fired for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I think most shooters can't tell the difference between "good 'nuff" and perfect. Inside 10 yds, it really doesn't matter anyway, so the shooter has to be at a certain skill level to see the difference at the 15-25yd range for it to matter.
    This is a valid point. Given the atrocity that is most average pistol shooting (at least based on the sampling of what I've seen on various ranges), most people can't tell if the sights are properly regulated, because they can't shoot smaller than 8" groups at 10 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    If you're shooting 80 and above Vickers Tests at 25 yards in 10 seconds you're shooting at a high level.
    I agree. I've said before that my standard for a gun being accurate enough to carry, is me consistently scoring 80+ on this test. This how I know I recently got in over my head with the trigger push/pistol squirm issue with my P30s. Between the last two range trips, I went from 82 average to -> 65 average. That's an abysmal drop off in accuracy and it ain't the gun, because it hasn't changed...

Yeah usually it’s me the limiting factory and my inability to see the sights! I do not so well with most night sights. I’m digging the new Ameriglo on my Gen 5, and of course I do best with my RMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In regards to who shoots OEM sights....most cops do. Most LE agencies do not allow modification of sights.

We recently received new Sig P226’s. A good chunk of them shot slightly left with 147 grain 9mm. For those officers who could maintain a half decent group I pushed the sights over to center their shots.

I heard Sig simply uses a machine to center the sights in the dovetails.

I recommend, if possible, to use practice and duty ammo of the same weight. Seems to help mitigate poa/poi disparity. A couple of LE agencies in my area found out the hard way Gen4 Glock 17s have a 4-5” lateral poi shift between 115 practice and 147 duty.

Missed it by that much... is it you or the gun. POA-POI.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    If you're shooting 80 and above Vickers Tests at 25 yards in 10 seconds you're shooting at a high level.
    Just got back from the range running this drill several times today. A couple times I think the timer picked up another lane and I got times 12-14s. When I was the only shooter I ranged 7.90-10.95.

I shot both my RDS-equipped 19 and a stock Gen 5 17. With my RDS my best score was a 91, 4x in 9.60. With the 17 I managed a 90, 1x in 8.85. Worst of the day was a 71, 0x in 7.90 with the G17, trying to push too hard. I believe my average was 83 between the two guns. I’m not sure on time because the timer wasn’t set sensitively enough. I feel better about my shooting since you mentioned the Vickers standard, but I still get humbled by my buddy shooting long-slide STIs slow fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by shiv; 01-27-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Although they are called “fixed sights,” they are still adjustable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    They’re already test firing the guns, why not just make adjustments based on that to regulate?

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Money. Time and labor, which is also money.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Money. Time and labor, which is also money.
    Doesn’t HK regulate their pistol’s sights before shipping them?

Doesn’t HK regulate their pistol’s sights before shipping them?

No, based on the majority of pistols I have received in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No, based on the majority of pistols I have received in recent years.
    Fair enough. I thought I’d read somewhere that they did.

It’s a shame more people don’t realize that pistols as well as rifles need to be zeroed.

FIFY

It’s a shame more people don’t shoot well enough at 25 yards so that they can actually zero their pistols.

User Tag List