Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading .45 Colt for indoor use and bowling pins.

Reloading .45 Colt for indoor use and bowling pins.

I'm in the process of getting my hands on a Ruger New Blackhawk Bisley 7.5" in .45 Colt. I'm primarily going to use it at an indoor range and hopefully once a month shoot the local bowling pin match with it.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for bullets and powder. I'm starting with some hand-me-down Titegroup and 250 gr flat-point plated bullets. Looks like coated bullets are very popular but it can be troublesome with Titegroup. I've been looking at some 300 grain bullets too as they might be good for shooting bowling pins.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I'm in the process of getting my hands on a Ruger New Blackhawk Bisley 7.5" in .45 Colt. I'm primarily going to use it at an indoor range and hopefully once a month shoot the local bowling pin match with it.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for bullets and powder. I'm starting with some hand-me-down Titegroup and 250 gr flat-point plated bullets. Looks like coated bullets are very popular but it can be troublesome with Titegroup. I've been looking at some 300 grain bullets too as they might be good for shooting bowling pins.

Ive mostly used 8.5 grs Unique with 250 gr bullets. It was supposed to be a factory equivalent load in older manuals (250 gr/860 fps), but ran 925 fps in my 4 5/8" Ruger. I tried I believe the same charge with 230 gr 45 auto bullets. They seemed ok when shooting them, but I was getting pretty crazy vertical stringing when shooting them at 200 yards, which indicates it was borderline consistent ignition. the point being, the case is large, and id suggest only using bulky powders for lighter loads, or just not loading down.

ive only shot pins a little with my 45 Colt, but the standard 250 gr bullets had no problem getting pins off the table. Id avoid the 300s unless you do have trouble, and focus on semi-wadcutter bullets to get a bite on the pins. The extra recoil of the 300s wont help follow up shots.

If you really want to shoot much in the way of lighter loads, you can get 45 Schofield cases.

Something I realized when seeing discussions about the modern way of holding pistols, the left finger on the front of the trigger guard isnt popular today, but, in single actions, and cocking with the left thumb, it changes the angle of your wrist and makes it easier to cock for repeat shots. Shooting follow up shots is not difficult with single actions once you get the rhythm of cycling the action two handed sorted out. FWIW, thumbs down, left thumb over right is whats been working for me on SAs
    Last edited by Malamute; 01-24-2018 at 06:46 PM.

My current load is a 250gr RNFP coated bullet from Missouri Bullet Company over 5.6 gr of Titegroup for 45 Colt. Has worked well but not shot pins, more of a cowboy load.

I have some 305 gr from Underwood in 44mag and they are quite a ride! Decided that much power was way overkill for my purposes. Of course you dont have to load as hot as Underwood, but I would think 250gr would get the job done, its a good size bullet.
    Last edited by FPS; 01-24-2018 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    My current load is a 250gr RNFP coated bullet from Missouri Bullet Company over 5.6 gr of Titegroup for 45 Colt. Has worked well but not shot pins, more of a cowboy load.
    I'm looking at the 250 or 255 gr Missouri Bullet Hi-Tek coated bullets. Any issues with that coating and Titegroup?

The other bullet that appeals to me is the ACME Bullet Co. Hi-Tek coated 255 SWC.

I've read of quite differing experiences with coated bullets and Titegroup.

My friend who's graciously helping me get set up to reload told me that we should try Universal Clays for the .45 Colt with the coated bullets as it is a clean burning powder and very similar to Unique. He said he has a 4 lbs jug of it so we'll have plenty to experiment with.
    Last edited by Exiledviking; 01-26-2018 at 01:56 AM.

I shoot Clays in mine with a 255 grain lead bullet. Very accurate.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

I'm looking at the 250 or 255 gr Missouri Bullet Hi-Tek coated bullets. Any issues with that coating and Titegroup?

The other bullet that appeals to me is the ACME Bullet Co. Hi-Tek coated 255 SWC.

I've read of quite differing experiences with coated bullets and Titegroup.

My friend who's graciously helping me get set up to reload told me that we should try Universal Clays for the .45 Colt with the coated bullets as it is a clean burning powder and very similar to Unique. He said he has a 4 lbs jug of it so we'll have plenty to experiment with.
    I am not aware of any issues and havent noticed anything strange. Might as well start with another powder if its a concern. Lots of options that will work fine.

Sometimes, I am "That Guy".

When I saw indoors, I immediately thought that about 40 grains of 3F Black Powder would be about right.

Clays Universal is a decent powder.

Regarding coated bullets and titegroup or any other aspect of coated bullets, id do some searching on the castboolit forum. About anything regarding lead bullets can be found there.

When I was shooting pin matches with my Smith 45Colt, my load was 8.5 gr. Universal Clays and a 250 gr. Rainier Flat Point. It made 823 fps out of the Smith and 1139 fps out of my 16" Win Trapper.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

I have had good luck with both Missouri bullet company and Georgia arms cast bullets, both 200gr and 250gr. For 45LC I use the rifle powder measure (throws Trail Boss more consistently) on my Dillon 650 and now load with Trail Boss. My powder weights are pretty much identical to how much Titegroup I have used in the past, but I believe there is something to the theory about it being fluffy and filling more of the case. I observed a small but noticeable improvement in group size when I went to Trail Boss.

I also prefer 35gr of real 3F and a full compressed seating depth, but it ain't polite at an indoor range....
    Last edited by fatdog; 01-26-2018 at 12:48 PM.

User Tag List