Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 12 hour Panama shift being proposed at work.

Well.......

Due to the uprising and general whining, this "idea" has been shelved....hopefully permanently.

We were told this morning in roll call that it's officially dead in the water. I had inservice with one of the very high ups a couple of weeks back and expressed my general negativity in a most blunt fashion.

Pro tip: If you are admin, and you can't take someone cracking jokes about dumb ideas that admin comes up with, choose a different date to go to in-service. Some of us have been around long enough to know the fine line between expressing displeasure openly and insubordination.

Thanks for all the posts gents and ladies. It helped me steer in rough waters.

Site Supporter
    I understand this for sure. I worked at a place where a new guy got a big ass chewing for his sincere suggestions put anonymously in a suggestion box. It was under camera surveillance. Nobody else was dumb enough to make suggestions.The admin folks eventually removed the box. Once in a school I picked up and carried a chair-desk from the second floor to the first. I was helping out a nice older lady. On the way down the stairs, the principal stopped me and yelled,"Who's running this place, me or you?"

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    LSP patrol folks have worked this for years, and mostly love it. Essentially, you are working half the month. If you have overtime available, such as federal grants for DWI, seatbelt enforcement, etc, you probably have more opportunity to work them due to the additional days off.

I was in Patrol prior to this shift, so I’ve never actually worked it. But, my buddies typically love it for the additional days off.

Walker PD has worked this shift since about 2005 and they love working only 6 months a year.
    The dispatchers work same shift.
    Last edited by JBP55; 02-10-2018 at 06:13 PM.

One precinct I worked had a suggestion box on the wall in the roll call. It was made out of an ammo can and painted red. It was welded shut.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    One precinct I worked had a suggestion box on the wall in the roll call. It was made out of an ammo can and painted red. It was welded shut.
    Is that as bad as being under camera surveillance?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Is that as bad as being under camera surveillance?
    Well, both send a crystal clear message, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Great idea but unnecessary: just don't check the box. We had a chief who had boxes put out, but they ended up jammed full because either no one was responsible for checking or no one gave a fuck about suggestions.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

While an active LEO i never woked a regular 12 hr work schedule. However, after retirement I di work for INTEL for 6 years working their 12 hour schedule. 4 days on, 3 off, then 3 days on 4 days off. 84 hours of work per payday, and you only worked 14 days out of 28. Great schedule because we did not rotate from days to nights. I worked 6pm tp 6am for 6 years straight.

Quote Originally Posted by TC215 View Post
    Our patrol officers work 12-hour shifts, based on a 28-day cycle. 0700-1900 and 1900-0700.

4 nights, off 3, 3 days, off 1, 3 nights, off 3, 4 days, off 7.

The only good part is the 7 days off.
    That's my exact schedule except for start/end time, and the 7 days off is usually where the mandatory OT comes in
    IDPA : A454752
    USPSA : TY91150

4 10's are the way to go. Our patrol you bid for day/evening/night shift once a year. Two shifts who work half the week. When I was out there you worked T-F or F-M and Friday was the heavy day where we'd do special assignments, hunt, whatever.

Love 10's. Rotating from day/night is an absolute nightmare. If you are at all concerned about troop morale, stay away from that unless it's an extended rotation (ever 4+ months)

User Tag List