Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If I pull the bullets will I have to resize cases?

If I pull the bullets will I have to resize cases?

I messed up. I loaded some .38sp shells with round nose flat tip bullets and put to much crimp on the case. Now they wont fit into the chamber. I am going to get a bullet puller the kind that looks like a hammer and remove the bullets , and powder. the question I have is this. Will I have to resize the cases? If not can I just flare the case mouth and load with powder and a bullet seat and crimp and be on my way. Or is this a scrap job? Any help would be great.

I think you will have to flare the mouths again since you overcrimped. Grab yourself one of these (it's what I use) and measure the case mouth afterwards, plus check the case mouth visually with a fresh bullet. Good luck and have fun cleaning up the mess
    #RESIST

I know I can hardly waite

Site Supporter
    It's odd that the crimp is preventing the cartridge from chambering in a 38special. Are you sure you didn't use 357mag brass or seat the bullet too long. Can you take a picture of the loaded cartridge?

Are you seating and crimping in the same stage or two separate stages? The only way I can see too much crimp causing chambering issues in a revolver is if you're doing the combined step and you're getting a bulge in the case. With the two steps on separate stages, I can't see this symptom occurring.

ETA: When I have to pull a bullet and reload the cartridge, I resize the case, but don't push the ram all the way as that would remove the primer as well. I just resize the affected portion (where the bullet contacted the case). It requires a bit more attention, but saves the primer (if that's a concern).

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 01-24-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    ETA: When I have to pull a bullet and reload the cartridge, I resize the case, but don't push the ram all the way as that would remove the primer as well. I just resize the affected portion (where the bullet contacted the case). It requires a bit more attention, but saves the primer (if that's a concern).
    I just set the cases aside until I have a vaguely worthwhile number (YMMV on how many that is - I like for it to be at least 25) and then pull the decapping pin out of my resizing die. Then you can just run them through the process as normal, minus seating a new primer, of course.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I just set the cases aside until I have a vaguely worthwhile number (YMMV on how many that is - I like for it to be at least 25) and then pull the decapping pin out of my resizing die. Then you can just run them through the process as normal, minus seating a new primer, of course.
    Yup, that works too. I normally only need to do something like this when I'm setting up dies for a new load, so it's not worth setting aside. I just pull the bullet, run the case through the sizer side with a quarter-to-half stroke, then continue on.

Though, if you're using a progressive, I can see where your method makes more sense. I'm using a turret press, so the workflow is a bit different.

Chris

How many do you have? Might be easier to just scrap the cases.

Yes, you should probably resize the cases.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Though, if you're using a progressive, I can see where your method makes more sense. I'm using a turret press, so the workflow is a bit different.
    Yup, Hornady LNL. I think I'd do it the pull the decapping pin way even with a turret, though, simply because I'd rather not worry about only pulling the handle a certain distance. Obviously your method works for you, though, so rock on.

I just toss them and start again. I know we reload to save money but fucking up a few cases really isn't a financial loss.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Site Supporter
    I'd set them aside and start over. I'm not certain that crimping is the issue. If you crimped into the crimp groove going around the bullet's circumference, then another variable is contributing. I think that you may not be using the crimp groove, or you are using a jacketed bullet without this groove and have crimped into the bearing surface itself with the result that the case has deformed at the mouth. Telling us the brand and specific bullet used would clarify the issue. A picture of this projectile would be great.

User Tag List