Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Did CZ quality control bump up a notch?

Vending Machine Operator

Did CZ quality control bump up a notch?

About 5-6 years ago, I had a chance to handle and shoot a number of CZs. I did not walk away overall impressed. They seemed to fire alright, but the finish was rough and uneven and they seemed quite a bit less refined than I was willing to accept at the price point.

One nice thing about re-joining the prosecutor side of the fold is that I have access to certain Qualified Professional discounts again. So I finished funding my Roth IRA for the year and rewarded myself with a CZ-75B Omega Convertible in 9mm as one of the "fun guns" that gets 20% of my range time per visit. Test target date (and I'm assuming approximate manufacture date) was January 10, 2019, showing nice accuracy at 25 yards with 115-grain Sellier and Bellot. I placed my order on February 24. So it's about as new as you can get.

I cracked it open and my impressions are very positive compared to 5-6 years ago. Internal and external finish are strong, trigger is nice, everything seems nicely fitted and well done, less tool marks than I remember. I suppose the proof is in the long shooting session this gun has waiting for it, but I am a pretty happy camper so far.

People who owned CZs on both ends of that time span, is this in my head or have they put more attention in recently?

Obligatory pics attached (some of the reflective lighter spots in the pics that look like wear are just the factory oil). It's a cell phone and I'm a garbage photographer, but I did my best.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 03-03-2019 at 10:39 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Vending Machine Operator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    I've had one CZ--a RAMI BD. I thought it was very, very nice from a fit and finish perspective. The polycoat finish was very smooth, even and felt great. Internally, the alloy was covered fully covered in the polycoat. But other than that, I thought it looked very clean and well-finished. It also shot amazingly well.

Unfortunately, it had a few arbitrary FTFeeds. Apparently that's not super uncommon with RAMIs--so I don't know if that speaks to their quality control, from a function standpoint.

Long story short, I didn't feeling like going through the headache of trouble shooting, different ammo, sending it in for warranty work, etc. So... I no longer own it.

My 2 P-07s are the best carry guns I’ve owned. Quality and reliability are excellent.

I also have 3 Shadow2s, and the build quality is really superb. $1000 seems cheap for this gun.

I do think the more recent models have some advantages.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I seem to recall 10 or so years ago when they came dribbling on to the competition scene in my area, they didn’t have a great reliability record. May have been the mags though, as newer magazines seem better made.

Tool marks and "fit and finish" have typically little to do with the operational reliability, accuracy, and strength of a handgun (and most other machines). Depending where the tool marks have been left, it may or may not matter at all and it's a waste of time and money to take down every surface to a very low surface roughness when it's not necessary for function or aesthetics.

I have several CZs of various vintages and are all stupid accurate and boringly reliable.

Although I can't prove it, I honestly believe that CZ's QC is better, I own 4 of them I'm not a fan of the polycoat finish, but other than that they are amazing little guns, very accurate, very reliable, and with places like CGW, orCZC around, one can get work done to them, or DIY, as they respond well to tuning.

I’ve got an early 2018 P-07 that seems good, but a little rough in some spots. I’ve got a late 2018/2019 (can’t remember which) P-09 that seems markedly more refined all the way around including a different extractor as well as substantially smoother trigger out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After about a 12 year hiatus from CZ, having previously owned 2 CZ 75Bs and 2 CZ 83s (1 of each was "meh," the other 2 were fine), last year I got a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62 x 39 and a CZ 550 FS with a full Mannilicher stock in .308. Both are absolutely superb, both accuracy-wise and attention to detail in fit, finish and materials. My very experienced hunting friends were extremely impressed.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    Tool marks and "fit and finish" have typically little to do with the operational reliability, accuracy, and strength of a handgun (and most other machines). Depending where the tool marks have been left, it may or may not matter at all and it's a waste of time and money to take down every surface to a very low surface roughness when it's not necessary for function or aesthetics.

I have several CZs of various vintages and are all stupid accurate and boringly reliable.
    While tool marks have little to do immediately with accuracy and reliability they have quite a lot to do with long-term corrosion resistance. Tool marks allow crevices for rust to lurk and spread.

User Tag List