Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SureFire XH55 (Green Laser Above 1000 Lumen Light)

I'm thinking 1200 rail on a short barrel AR-15. That's a lot of capability.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For me personally it'd likely only go on my nightstand and other home guns. But I'm sure various LE would love it if it fit in the old holsters. What would be *really* awesome is if it fit in the non-lasered X300/400 holsters but I'm sure that's too much to ask with current tech.
    The "masterfire" switches on bottom are likely going to be the issue. If you have a holster that fits an X400 I'd bet the XH55G will fit as the 400's laser hangs lower than the 55G switches. I have an XH35 at home with those same switches on it, but it's on a rifle. I'll try to test fit it in a Safariland ALS this week and see if they clear it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I'm sort of cautiously thinking the same thing.

People have largely gotten so confident in their RDS that many aren't using BUIS at all. I wonder if we'll get to a point where there's no BUIS *or* RDS given a light/laser combo like this.

The red dot/green dot contrast is also nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    I was gonna use an XH55G at 12:00 on an 8.5" 300 side folder with irons and no optic. The offset of the laser is about an inch so basically POA/POI for the full usable range.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm sort of cautiously thinking the same thing.

People have largely gotten so confident in their RDS that many aren't using BUIS at all. I wonder if we'll get to a point where there's no BUIS *or* RDS given a light/laser combo like this.
    I've been experimenting for a few years with a Steiner CQB-L at 12 o'clock as a backup. It's definitely lacking once you get outside and the distance increases. Now, it's red which is harder to see than green, but with BUIS I can make solid hits for hundreds of yards. On a static, flat target the red laser is extremely difficult to see beyond 25 yards. On 3 dimensional clothing and a moving bad guy... I'm not sure how useful it would be. For a HD rifle inside the dwelling, especially during darkness I think a shooter would be fine with a laser in place of irons. But I've made the decision to keep BUIS on serious use rifles.

I will say the green laser XH55G I saw in person was very visible from 25 yards and beyond, but it was dusk/night when it was brought out. As you know Rob, the sun in places like Florida can crush even the brightest dot in an optic.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I was gonna use an XH55G at 12:00 on an 8.5" 300 side folder with irons and no optic. The offset of the laser is about an inch so basically POA/POI for the full usable range.
    Yeah, the positioning of the laser emitter is really nice for the carbine application.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I've been experimenting for a few years with a Steiner CQB-L at 12 o'clock as a backup. It's definitely lacking once you get outside and the distance increases. Now, it's red which is harder to see than green, but with BUIS I can make solid hits for hundreds of yards. On a static, flat target the red laser is extremely difficult to see beyond 25 yards. On 3 dimensional clothing and a moving bad guy... I'm not sure how useful it would be. For a HD rifle inside the dwelling, especially during darkness I think a shooter would be fine with a laser in place of irons. But I've made the decision to keep BUIS on serious use rifles.

I will say the green laser XH55G I saw in person was very visible from 25 yards and beyond, but it was dusk/night when it was brought out. As you know Rob, the sun in places like Florida can crush even the brightest dot in an optic.
    Good info.

So maybe it's BUIS and laser, no RDS?

Either way, someone's sure to throw a tantrum and tell us we clearly don't care out the safety of our families and what are we going to do when our laser dies and our BUIS are folded down and the mongol hordes are at our gates.

Good info.

So maybe it's BUIS and laser, no RDS?

Either way, someone's sure to throw a tantrum and tell us we clearly don't care out the safety of our families and what are we going to do when our laser dies and our BUIS are folded down and the mongol hordes are at our gates.
    lol! Exactly. Luckily we at PF know most people with that mentality are posting from their mom's basement in between video games where they gain all their "operational" knowledge. I was thinking a helmet mounted laser might be the ticket. Then all I have to do is make eye contact with the bad guy and he'll be blinded. That will give me time to flip up my irons and change the battery in my rifle mounted laser.

Back to the topic at hand - I am thrilled to see lights/lasers making gains in terms of size and power. The TLR-7 has been good to go for several months and it's almost as bright as the X300U I was running for years before. Now the X300U is at 1k lumens! The manufacturers are moving the lasers up close to the bore, and the package overall is getting smaller. DB posted about the golden age of handguns... I think we are also in the golden age of weapon lights/lasers. I saw Midway USA has the XH55G listed, but out of stock. I'll most likely snag one after they hit the streets. Whether it ends up on a rifle or pistol remains to be seen.

Just remember that the light is a MaxVision beam, so a lot of flood, but throw will be weak. I know there are folks that preferred the old 600 lumen X300Us to the XH35s due to the lack of throw on the XH35s, despite having a 1000 lumen output. Hopefully an XH50 comes out with a TIR beam.

User Tag List