Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I’m trying to be a good neighbor-tannerite edition

I’m trying to be a good neighbor-tannerite edition

I live at the end of a dirt road here in east Texas. I can go outside and shoot in my yard anytime I want to, it’s a true luxury and blessing. My neighbors all do the same. My problem is all the “city folks” who come in to their deer leases. I don’t mind them shooting, like I said, all of us who live out here enjoy doing that all the time. (Although I do try to limit my morning and evening shooting during deer season, good neighbor and all that). My problem is when they set off their damn tannerite. I don’t even have a big problem with it, as long as it’s before bedtime. When you set off enough that it rattles the glass in my house at 10:15 at night my good neighbor layer starts getting real thin. I know better than to drive over this late and try to talk to a bunch of drunk knuckleheads. I hate to get the law involved but I’m getting put out and the dear wife is about ready to start lobbing 357’s in their general direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Eastex; 02-02-2018 at 11:25 PM.

This is how tannerite gets banned in a lot of areas. Here in UT it is pretty much limited to private land because of the knuckleheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastex View Post
    I live at the end of a dirt road here in east Texas. I can go outside and shoot in my yard anytime I want to, it’s a true luxury and blessing. My neighbors all do the same. My problem is all the “city folks” who come in to their deer leases. I don’t mind them shooting, like I said, all of us who live out here enjoy doing that all the time. (Although I do try to limit my morning and evening shooting during deer season, good neighbor and all that). My problem is when they set off their damn tannerite. I don’t even have a big problem with it, as long as it’s before bedtime. When you set off enough that it rattles the glass in my house at 10:15 at night my good neighbor layer starts getting real thin. I know better than to drive over this late and try to talk to a bunch of drunk knuckleheads. I hate to get the law involved but I’m getting put out and the dear wife is about ready to start lobbing 357’s in their general direction.

Call Homeland security. Tell them there's an ISIL training camp nearby.

If I wasn't at work and limited on my internet access, I'd craft a meme of Jed Clampett saying "City folks..."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

“City folks” is a thing! It’s (mostly) said in fun. The people who own the property directly behind ours have owned it for generations. Like a lot of families around here they moved to “the city” during and right after World War II. They have several old homes on the property and their descendants come up on weekends and holidays and since they’re mostly in Beaumont they come up for hurricanes as well. They do a lot of shooting when they’re here since they can’t where they live unless they go to a range. They’re great neighbors though, they shoot some after dark because it’s fun but they wrap things up at a decent time.
    The bunch last night are the ones that grate on my nerves. You know them when you see them at the cafe having lunch. First off you don’t recognize them which in a town of <400 stands out. They will say things like how quiet and peaceful your town is, and then promptly blow that up. You can also spot them by their ridiculous trucks, sky high jacked up 4 wheel drives that look like they’ve never been dirty longer than 6 hours. The good ones will wait until they’re off the public dirt road and on their lease before they go mud hogging. The bad ones do donuts in the middle of the road and drive along with one side of their truck tearing up the ditches.
    It is funny how even in 2018 we’re still as tribal as we are. I’m fully aware how out of place I am when I go to the “big town”. I even joke about driving in the country boy lane when I’m in Houston or Dallas. (Insert Jed and the family ride here). The times I’ve spent the night in the city I have tried to “get along”. I don’t pull out my gun and shoot snakes or armadillos as I see them, and if I have to take a leak I try to use the indoor plumbing.

Best advice I can give you is, The next time they start lighting off tannerite at 10:00 at night, call the cops and let them deal with it..

Site Supporter
    Maybe try talking to them first. Once you get the legal system involved, it's likely to become an adversarial relationship. Having a bad relationship with neighbors, even if they are "city folks" who are only there occasionally, usually isn't beneficial to anyone.

I’m trying to be a good neighbor-tannerite edition

Just for clarity , our “next door” neighbors weren’t the ones setting off tannerite last night. According to my wife Facebook was lit up with folks who live several miles away complaining about the noise.
    I am curious about one thing though, is there a practical use for tannerite or is it just for fireworks?

Last edited by Eastex; 02-03-2018 at 10:23 AM.

My opinion: Talk to them in a professional manner and establish a few ground rules about what times you feel are appropriate for setting off tanerite. Also, let them know what future conditions you will contact the law to complain about them disturbing the peace, the same you would if they were blasting their stereo our some other such nonsense.

Or simply call the law, next time and let the law set them straight. Either way, encourage the neighbors to do the same.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I'm more of a "let the law deal with them" persuasion. Knuckleheads that are blasting stuff off after Taps probably are not susceptible to a reasoned argument that isn't along the lines of "if all y'all don't stop doing this shut, you're going to jail."

(Kinda wonder how they'd feel if a large truck pulled up to their homes in the middle of the night and began sounding the air horn.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List