Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI - Safety boots/shoes

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Thanks for the Keen mention.

For a casual office/production setting I am kinda liking these casual Keens.

ETA: However the reviews are not great for these.
    Read some of the negative reviews... retards welding in lace up hiking style work boots that complain about the laces and nylon parts of the boots melting.
    I've found the majority of Amazon negative reviews (no matter the product) are full of idiots complaining that the world isn't idiot proof.

The Keen Detroit steel toe hikers are great for casual work use (like an office guy wandering through the shop getting in the way...).
    I usually get two years out of Keen Detroits wearing them primarily on oilfield locations doing inspections.

If you do actual manual labor for 8-10 hours a day in a job that requires "real" work boots Keen aren't going to last very long.
    But for what it sounds like you'll be doing they'll be fine.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    It's probably not the look you want, but when I was doing a lot of factory visits the most comfortable steel-toe shoes I found were the thick-soled Doc Martens. Looked clunky, but for me they were stand-all-day comfortable.
    I’ll second the recommendation for Doc Martens. I work on offshore production platforms, and have walked many many miles on steel grating. They may not look too cool, but if you end up leaning towards function over form they are the most comfortable steel toes I’ve ever worn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether it's within the rules, will lightweight boots work actually provide you enough protection? Lightweight work boots won't offer as much foot, ankle, shin, achilles tendon, or calf protection as 8-10" leather and/or canvas work boots.

If the logistics aren't too much, are pull on "Western" style work boots and office shoes a possibility? As long as you can remember to do it, it only takes about 20 seconds to slip off your office shoes and slip on boots.

Fortunately I've never had anything heavy enough dropped on my foot to put a steel toe to a real test. I've had boots save my feet, shins and ankle from some run-ins with pallets, pipes, rebar, metal steps, embers and broken glass.
    Last edited by txdpd; 01-23-2018 at 08:19 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

I wear Thorogoods I live in my boots even on weekends. Mine have all broken in with in a day or so plus you can still get American made and Union made models. Only boots I have ever had last long enough to be resoled. Steel toes saved my toes about an eight foot piece of 6" pipe slipped out of the rigging from about 4 foot up and dropped right on my foot left a semi circle cut in the top of my boot and my foot was sore but digets were all still attached

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    I started a new job at the beginning of the year and am really enjoying it. I mostly am sitting at a desk but I often need to go to the shop floor to troubleshoot problems and help out with stuff. This requires me to get some safety boots or shoes. Looking for something comfy and more like a hiking boot or shoe. I can use composite or metallic safety toe. Let me know what you guys prefer as I am not too familiar with what's best in the world of work boots.
    Good for you, man. Maybe you can help with their lead time on loco and mantrip parts.

Personally, I've observed a lot of guys using a do-all work boot like Ariat, Irish Setter, and Thorogood while others wear casual shoes and change into slip-on metatarsals like Matterhorns when they need to. I'm a fan of the do-all for your uses as mine are similar.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 01-24-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    Good for you, man. Maybe you can help with their lead time on loco and mantrip parts.

Personally, I've observed a lot of guys using a do-all work boot like Ariat, Irish Setter, and Thorogood while others wear casual shoes and change into slip-on metatarsals like Matterhorns when they need to. I'm a fan of the do-all for your uses as mine are similar.
    We are making lots of changes that should improve things including lead time.

I'll probably pick up a pair of the Keen Detroits or something similar. Thanks for all the recommendations.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

User Tag List