Thread: Adding a thumb safety to an M&P with integrated lock?

Adding a thumb safety to an M&P with integrated lock?

I just got a good deal on a used M&P9 fs, and would like to add a thumb safety to it if I can. I already have a compact with the safety, so I am familiar with the parts involved, and how they are installed. I know where to get all the parts.

The FS is from before S&W started including the safety cutouts on all the frames, so I know that I will need to cut those, and I'm ok with that part. My question is... The gun has (or at least had) an integrated lock. Does anyone know if the hole for the lock will interfere with cutting the holes for the thumb safety?
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

The sear housing block is different for the thumb safety vs the internal lock, too. You will need to change that out. Sorry, I don't know if cutting the frame for a thumb safety will hit the key hole.
    Last edited by DamonL; 01-23-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Upon looking into it more last night, it appears that the ILS keyhole itself does not present an issue. BUT... There's a whole lot more to it than just cutting two notches in the frame, like I initially thought. The internal dimensions of the frame for the non-TS and TS sear housing blocks (plus the space for the TS itself) are pretty significantly different.

I'm sure someone more skilled than myself could make all the needed cuts to get it to work. I'm not inclined to experiment on it, given that a mistake could ruin the frame (ie the serial numbered firearm).
    Anti-astroturfing disclaimer: I am the owner of Bagman Tactical (custom tactical nylon).

I like having the thumb safety on the M&P, too. Otherwise, I would buy a Glock. . I hope you can enjoy your gun as is.

User Tag List