Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: My First Foray into the World of Real Gel--9mn Loads

Alright, guys. I have tested 300BLK 190gr Sub-X in gel and have created a new thread.

In addition, I tried two of the ASYM 9mm 115gr +P rounds loaded with Barnes Bullets through auto glass. These were fired from my Ruger 9mm Officer's.

Both bullets retained their weight and punched to just shy of a foot. Not bad for a compact concealment handgun. This load is fairly expensive but it might be an excellent choice for defensive work.

No chrono testing done this time since I did chronograph work previously.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tokarev; 02-19-2018 at 03:55 PM.

I have a frame assembled from various pieces of PVC that I think will work fine as a windshield jig. My question this morning concerns the distance at which the glass is shot.

How do I measure the 18in? Is that from the top Edge or bottom edge of the glass? Or is it from the center of the piece? My guess is it would be from the center but I want to confirm before I start shooting a bunch of rounds.

Center--although 18" is a bit close. Go sit in any modern vehicle and measure from the windshield to the driver...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Go sit in any modern vehicle and measure from the windshield to the driver...
    True. I think anything made after about 1999 will put the glass farther than 18" away unless you're talking about a Jeep Wrangler.

Same with the heavy clothing, to a certain extent. It looks like the FBI changed from a flannel/blanket liner to a PolarTec liner about 10 years ago. But who wears denim jackets anymore? Wouldn't some type of polyester or neoprene jacket material to more realistic in today's fashion environment?

I think it has less to do with the fashion of the day and more to do with challenging the bullet under extreme conditions. At last that's my take on it. People that proclaim "no one wears four layer of denim" are just showing there ignorance.
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Exactly. The 4 layer denim barrier is an engineering test to assess the ability of handgun projectiles to robustly expand--it has NOTHING to do with clothing choices...

I understand the clothing barrier is more to test the design parameters of the bullet rather than someone's fashion sense. Still, I wonder how a modern synthetic material such as Gore-Tex might work as a barrier material. I'll have to play with this at some point.

On a related subject; how does something like a heavy leather jacket change the dynamics of testing?

Gore-tex is easy, leather is harder.

Again 4LD is the best option for robust handgun expansion testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Alright, guys. I have tested 300BLK 190gr Sub-X in gel and have created a new thread.

In addition, I tried two of the ASYM 9mm 115gr +P rounds loaded with Barnes Bullets through auto glass. These were fired from my Ruger 9mm Officer's.

Both bullets retained their weight and punched to just shy of a foot. Not bad for a compact concealment handgun. This load is fairly expensive but it might be an excellent choice for defensive work.

No chrono testing done this time since I did chronograph work previously.

Here's something I found while going through some old emails. This is from Barnes showing performance of their 115gr TAC XP 9mm.

Handgun bullets just poke holes in things--that is all they do, no magic.

User Tag List