Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Foray into the World of Real Gel--9mn Loads

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Instead of using kitchen gel, I'd recommend type 250A ordnance gel for your next attempt....
    Yessir. That's the plan eventually. I figured I'd experiment with a small quantity(ies) of the local stuff before buying a 10lb box of ordnance gel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Yessir. That's the plan eventually. I figured I'd experiment with a small quantity(ies) of the local stuff before buying a 10lb box of ordnance gel.
    Thanks for posting your results. Schedule ate me alive these last few days; did not want to you think that I had forgotten you.

What I found really surprising about your use of 'not really the real gel you are s'posed to be using' was how good it did work out in terms of how closely your calibration came out.

Note that the BB shot into the gel is for "validation", "calibration" is something else.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Note that the BB shot into the gel is for "validation", "calibration" is something else.
    For those of us unaware of the distinction, could you please elaborate Doc?

I would consider myself just that much more educated on the topic if you would do so.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 01-24-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Site Supporter
    In designing instruments such as a questionnaire in social science research, establishing validity and reliability levels is essential. A valid instrument measures what it is supposed to measure. A reliable instrument will do so over and over again. They are neither the same nor interchangeable. I would not have thought that engineers with their high math aptitude would confuse the two V's that you discussed.

Here's a test of the Wilson 95gr that was conducted with Clear Ballistics gel. Note the 3+ inches of additional penetration over what I saw in my organic block.

I do note that this reviewer was getting a muzzle velocity about 100 fps higher than what I saw from my Ruger Officer.

https://handgunplanet.com/review/amm...es-tac-xp-9mm/

I'm going to make another kitchen gel block today.

Last time I mixed the powder and water right in the mold. This time I think I'll mix in a bucket and pour the goo into the mold. I'm going to line the mold with a trash bag before pouring with the idea that the plastic liner will make the cooled block easier to remove.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Try using a clear plastic storage bin of the appropriate size--these make simple, inexpensive molds that are easy to remove the blocks from.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Try using a clear plastic storage bin of the appropriate size--these make simple, inexpensive molds that are easy to remove the blocks from.
    Sounds like a good plan.

Speaking of molds it seems odd to me that the FBI wants to see between 12 and 18 inches of penetration but the standard FBI block is 16in long.

I have the new batch whipped up and poured. I'm going to let it sit at room temperature for awhile (four hours per some instructions I found online) before putting in the fridge. I'm hoping the time in warm air will allow the few small bubbles to float up and pop.

Once I'm satisfied with my mixing methods I'll see about getting some VYSE or Gelita powder.

Last edited by Tokarev; 01-27-2018 at 12:40 PM.

Five hours or so sitting at room temp. The gel is setting up nicely.

Into the fridge it goes.

Last edited by Tokarev; 01-27-2018 at 05:19 PM.

User Tag List