Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Foray into the World of Real Gel--9mn Loads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    @Tokarev where were you able to pickup the Hornady Expanding 300 BLK? I can’t seem to find anyone that has some in stock. Thanks.
    I bought a couple boxes from GT Distributors. Mine is the TAP version though so it may not be the same as the civilian stuff. My guess though is that it is the same. If anything it may have a more flash resistant powder or something.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CoGT3 View Post
    Still wondering though whether we are still dealing with a 45 ACP in disguise. Not sure what the increased sectional density and a properly designed sub round will mean in real world duty/HD use.
    Based on what I've read, subsonic 300 BO will penetrate things that most pistol rounds will not. A well performing, expanding bullet at subsonic velocities that is readily available will be a good thing I think.

We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I bought a couple boxes from GT Distributors. Mine is the TAP version though so it may not be the same as the civilian stuff. My guess though is that it is the same. If anything it may have a more flash resistant powder or something.

Please post your results when you have them. I am exited to see them. Hopefully Doc will test these.

I'll try this for a mold next time.

See post #44 above.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    See post #44 above.
    Unfortunately I'm not ready for huge blocks. My wife's already hounding me about taking up space in her refrigerator so she really wouldn't like a 40lb block. The small dorm fridge I have in the garage won't even contain a 16in block. Plus my Coleman cooler I've been using to travel to my shooting spot might not hold something much bigger.

At some point, if I continue to make and use gel on a regular basis, I will buy a larger dorm refrigerator for gel use only. I'll probably also have to get a Yeti cooler or something while I'm at it. Fill it will those blue freezer ice bags the night before so the interior is cool before loading up the gel.

I will also need to get a folding table or something to set the gel on prior to shooting. Right now I'm just setting it on the lid of the cooler. I can get two blocks end to end if I go diagonally across.

I also need to make a brace to hold glass. I'm thinking a framework made from PVC might work. Something that is leaned back at 45° that I can rest a piece of glass on.

Hobby? What hobby?

Last edited by Tokarev; 02-18-2018 at 08:49 AM.

Wait till you try an 80 lbs block and a .338 mag...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Wait till you try an 80 lbs block and a .338 mag...
    Ugh. The way it sounds I'm going to need to buy a pickup truck...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Ugh. The way it sounds I'm going to need to buy a pickup truck...

Ummm, how do you expect to be taken seriously by us Texans if you DON'T have a pickup??
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List