Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: My First Foray into the World of Real Gel--9mn Loads

I am pleased to see that the Barnes data, given the same bullet at similar velocity, wields results that are pretty close to mine. My test sampling is quite a bit smaller but the results are pretty close.

Science = repeatable test results...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

https://youtu.be/LHqNA_UBggs

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Here's my first attempt at a big block.

This is four pounds of powder and 17.25 quarts of hot water. My mixing bucket isn't isn't big enough to make almost five mixed gallons so I did 2 pounds and 2 pounds. Time between one batch and the next was about ten minutes. Hopefully that won't have an impact on the outcome.

The patient is resting quietly now. I'll check on him in about four hours. Any undissolved foam will be scraped off before refrigeration.

The mold for this is a plastic window washing bucket. It is not perfectly rectangular but it will probably be close enough.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-11-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

This is four pounds of powder and 17.25 quarts of hot water. My mixing bucket isn't isn't big enough to make almost five mixed gallons so I did 2 pounds and 2 pounds. Time between one batch and the next was about ten minutes. Hopefully that won't have an impact on the outcome.

The patient is resting quietly now. I'll check on him in about four hours. Any undissolved foam will be scraped off before refrigeration.

The mold for this is a plastic window washing bucket. It is not perfectly rectangular but it will probably be close enough.

I wonder about mixing the gel right in the window washing bucket. It should work okay and should allow me to mix all four pounds in one batch.

Another option might be something like this brewer's bucket. A spigot on the bottom would allow me to pour the gel into the mold and leave the foam behind in the bucket.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-11-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Oh, Yeah!

BTW--I got an old used fridge for the garage.

You can mix in the bucket; we mix right in the large plastic bins we use as molds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Any undissolved foam will be scraped off before refrigeration.
    I've been told*, by a guy who took the FBI course on ballistics gel testing, that 4-5 drops of cinnamon oil when mixing will remove all the foam.

Helps with the smell, too.

ETA: *We've not tried it when mixing ours, so I can't swear to the foam part, but I can attest to the better smell of his blocks.
    Last edited by StraitR; 04-19-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Cinnamon oil reduces mold; Foam-Eater reduces the foaming...

User Tag List