Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sig 229 E2

Site Supporter
    Both are gone.

We had a bunch of 229's (40 of'em) came in three years ago. About 15 had the AFU prefix. All of ours were 9mm. One of those AFU prefix guns had a barrel break at about 1500 rounds. I sent it back and SIG fixed it right up. Within the last six months SIG sent us a replacement barrel for each of our AFU pistols. They requested we replace them all and send the original barrels back to them. I had heard that several of our sister offices also had the odd barrel break from their new SIGs. I guess it became a problem rather than an inconvenience for them. They stood up and initiated the replacements. I wonder however if I find a AFU pistol on the street if it was provided an updated barrel?

At our main training facility I am told that the instructors and staff are NOT happy with the SIGs in general. Seems that they have more issues than the original Berettas we used and some of our offices still use around the country. I for one think the new rules requiring "green" ammo at the main indoor range is the culprit. The SIGs do not seem to like it as much as the Berettas.

Be that as it may I recently bought a 229 for myself to use for personal off duty carry and training. We shall see how mine does.

Where was the barrel breaking?

Quote Originally Posted by Timbonez View Post
    Where was the barrel breaking?
    I don't know if it's the same issue but Sig release a bunch of 9mm P229 barrels in which the locking lug would shear off. It was supposedly limited to that particular caliber and model but I was asked to inspect a P220 of the same vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    I don't know if it's the same issue but Sig release a bunch of 9mm P229 barrels in which the locking lug would shear off. It was supposedly limited to that particular caliber and model but I was asked to inspect a P220 of the same vintage.
    That was our issue. The lug sheared clean off. 9mm 229R DAK, AFU prefix in the serial number.

I have some photos somewhere that I took before I sent it back to Melissa. Will try to find them and post.

Quote Originally Posted by FotoTomas View Post
    That was our issue. The lug sheared clean off. 9mm 229R DAK, AFU prefix in the serial number.

I have some photos somewhere that I took before I sent it back to Melissa. Will try to find them and post.
    I found the images but they are on the work computer and Photobucket is a big NoNo at work. No access.

I will try to get a couple posted when I get home or access to a non work computer.
    Last edited by FotoTomas; 05-20-2012 at 10:44 PM.

User Tag List