Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sig 229 E2

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I took the 229 out for the first time today. I wasn't running them side by side, at speed, to notice much difference between the two. They both shot well. I'm waiting for the SRT trigger kit before I put a lot of rounds down the 229. I don't want the sear and hammer to wear together, only to swap out the sear when the kit arrives.

The factory trigger in the 226 is much more smooth than the 229, the 229 isn't bad - but it's not as nice; I bet that varies from gun to gun and not just between models.

One thing that bugged me about the 229 was the E2 grip width around the mag button. On the E2 226, the mag button stick out beyond the grip, I like that. With the 229, it's recessed, and it's harder to hit. Perhaps it's a familiarity issue, but I prefer the 226 grip width. I ordered an extended mag button to solve that issue.

Attachment 595
    That's just...silly. It's not like you might ever need to hit that button in a hurry or anything.

The trigger variation has been true of Sigs as long as I have been around them. My old issued P229 had one of the best Sig triggers I have ever felt. A co-worker had a P229 of the same vintage with one of the worst Sig triggers I have ever felt. I stupidly traded my P229 for a P220 after a couple years (we had our choice between 225, 239, 226, 229, and 220). My P220 also had one of the worst triggers I have ever felt on a Sig. But it was a supper deadly 45ACP! These were all guns produced from early- to late-1990's.

I am sure that this is not the case with your gun JV, but I'll put it out there anyway:

TCinVA is right. If the trigger doesn't seem quite right, it is worth taking the right grip panel off to make sure that the trigger bar or trigger return spring isn't rubbing on the inside of the grip. Sig has changed the design over the years and not all grips work with all vintages. I have also seen examples where someone put the trigger return spring in the wrong spot on the trigger bar. That can make the trigger feel a bit heavier than it should, if it works at all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 98z28 View Post
    TCinVA is right. If the trigger doesn't seem quite right, it is worth taking the right grip panel off to make sure that the trigger bar or trigger return spring isn't rubbing on the inside of the grip.
    There's definitely nothing "wrong" with it, I just really like the one on my 226. The SRT kit should arrive today, we'll see how it feels after the install. Let's see how it feels after 20K rounds ...

There's definitely nothing "wrong" with it, I just really like the one on my 226. The SRT kit should arrive today, we'll see how it feels after the install. Let's see how it feels after 20K rounds ...
    The best trigger job available, IMHO.

Site Supporter
    The SRT kit has been installed.

The great news is that I found the source of the roughness in the trigger. It was the top of the hammer strut. It was quite rough and uneven. After a quick file & and polish job ... voilą, a clone of my 226 trigger!

The extended magazine release is too long. It measures 1.275", the standard release is 1.100", something in the 1.190" would be perfect. When I get some time, I'll trim it down and checker it.
    Last edited by JV_; 02-21-2012 at 07:11 PM.

The SRT kit has been installed.

The great news is that I found the source of the roughness in the trigger. It was the top of the hammer strut. It was quite rough and uneven. After a quick file & and polish job ... voilą, a clone of my 226 trigger!

The extended magazine release is too long. It measures 1.275", the standard release is 1.100", something in the 1.190" would be perfect. When I get some time, I'll trim it down and checker it.
    Bring it tomorrow so I can...um....ensure it's safe to shoot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Bring it tomorrow so I can...um....ensure it's safe to shoot.
    OK.

Can you compare/contrast the 229 to a G19 as a carry pistol in terms of AIWB carry, results on known drills, 25 yard and longer accuracy, etc?

Site Supporter
    I've only had 4 range trips with the Sigs, and only 1 was with the 229. So, it's a bit difficult for me to compare them with such different familiarity levels.

I have less than 1250 rounds, combined, through both guns - but I managed some 5.30 FAST runs on my 2nd or 3rd range trip. I don't yet have the consistency in performance that I have with the Glocks, but that was my best yet.

My splits are in the same ballpark as the Glock 19 (within .03s or so). I haven't practiced many Bill drills or 5"/5Y/5Shot drills, and I have a strong dislike (ok, it's hate) for the Sig night sights. I hope to fix that over the next few weeks.

Since I'm now Gagdetless, I like the Sig for AIWB because I thumb the hammer when holstering. That, combined with a heavier DA pull, makes me feel more confident when holstering.

The long range accuracy sucks, but that's all on me. I'll bench the gun on Friday and post up some targets.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Can you compare/contrast the 229 to a G19 as a carry pistol in terms of AIWB carry, results on known drills, 25 yard and longer accuracy, etc?
    A few more details. I find that the 229 doesn't seem to shoot as "flat" as my 226, but I don't think it matters. I have a real hard time driving the 226 quickly. I've been doing a lot of 5" @ 5Y (5 shots) drills lately, and my splits are very often .25-.27s with the 226. If I really grip the gun hard and try to go fast, I can get them down to .23 or so but it requires a lot of effort and concentration on my part.

With the 229, I'm getting .21-.22s fairly easily with roughly the same number of hits. I have a lot more trigger time behind the 226 than the 229, but I like the 229 a lot more.

Side note: Don't take my mention/talk of splits as an indicator that I care about my split times, I really don't; It's a data point which illustrates my ability to drive the 229 faster, and with less effort, and that's what I care about.

How would you compare both the DA and SA trigger on the 229 to the LEM on your P30? Overall impression of how you shoot the 229 compared to the P30?

User Tag List