Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USPc vs P2000 or P30 Grip Area

USPc vs P2000 or P30 Grip Area

For those who've owned both the USPc and P2000 or P30...

One of the things that the P2000 has always presented to me was a perceived lack of real-estate for a good purchase by the support hand. I haven't spent a fair amount of time shooting the P30, but I've notice the same thing with the P30 while shooting/dry-firing them.

If you've owned a P2000/P30 and USPc 9/40, have you noticed more room for the support hand to get a purchase on the pistol itself as opposed to your fingers?

Or, has anyone shared this perception of lack of purchase on the gun itself with the P-Series? If so, did you do anything about it? FWIW, prior to the P2000 my biggest experience was with the Beretta 92, which I always thought had a nice grip (even with my size medium hand). It certainly has more purchase area, but at the same time I'm 10x the shooter today that I was then, so there's no use in trying to quantify the difference through performance. I've also noticed Glocks to have increased real-estate for the support hand compared to the P-Series. After ~17,000 rounds through the P2000 since Feb 2010, I figure if this perception weren't true then I would have forgotten it by now....but I haven't.

Thanks!

Never noticed a lack of relestate for my support hand on any of those guns.
    "A good shooter with a weak body and weak mind will lose against one who has the physical ability to crush him, and the mental ability to do it repeatedly"
    -Kyle Defoor

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    For those who've owned both the USPc and P2000 or P30...

One of the things that the P2000 has always presented to me was a perceived lack of real-estate for a good purchase by the support hand. I haven't spent a fair amount of time shooting the P30, but I've notice the same thing with the P30 while shooting/dry-firing them.

If you've owned a P2000/P30 and USPc 9/40, have you noticed more room for the support hand to get a purchase on the pistol itself as opposed to your fingers?

Or, has anyone shared this perception of lack of purchase on the gun itself with the P-Series? If so, did you do anything about it? FWIW, prior to the P2000 my biggest experience was with the Beretta 92, which I always thought had a nice grip (even with my size medium hand). It certainly has more purchase area, but at the same time I'm 10x the shooter today that I was then, so there's no use in trying to quantify the difference through performance. I've also noticed Glocks to have increased real-estate for the support hand compared to the P-Series. After ~17,000 rounds through the P2000 since Feb 2010, I figure if this perception weren't true then I would have forgotten it by now....but I haven't.

Thanks!
    I have a P2000SK, the grip is SHORTER than a P2000, but not smaller. I've show a USPc 40. I own a P30 as well.

On the USPc 40, I didn't get enough time on it to really think about the grip per se, but I had a VERY hard time controlling it. I blamed the caliber, but I do think that the grip may have played into it.

On the P2000SK, I put the larger backstrap on. That helped open up enough of the grip area for the palm of my support hand to get purchase.

On the P30, I put the large panels AND the large backstrap on. I don't have huge hands, but I found that by putting them on, I could get a lot more of my support hand on the grip, and it brought my support thumb far enough back that it wasn't getting "bit" by the rail. It's not a *comfortable* grip (but not "uncomfortable", the medium panels and backstrap simply feel better), but it's been much more effective for me once I got used to it.

But yes, on the P30 for sure, with the medium panels & backstrap, my strong hand fingers almost entirely covered the grip. The backstrap makes more of a difference than the panels, but the panel give it just a wee bit extra, because on one side it's pushing the hand farther away, and on the other side, more is "showing through" the strong fingers, if that makes sense.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    But yes, on the P30 for sure, with the medium panels & backstrap, my strong hand fingers almost entirely covered the grip.
    That's kinda how it feels, so it's nice to see someone else in my shoes. I don't even have big hands.......size medium.

The backstrap makes more of a difference than the panels, but the panel give it just a wee bit extra, because on one side it's pushing the hand farther away, and on the other side, more is "showing through" the strong fingers, if that makes sense.
    That's what I was thinking could happen...makes perfect sense. I'll have to ask BaiHu to let me play with the different size panels on his P30. As for the P2000, I ran the first 1200 or so rounds with the large back strap because it's what initially felt right....however, the apex of the large strap seems to be rather pointed, and created an uncomfortable pressure point so I switched it out for the medium. When switching out to the medium, I also noticed an immediate increase in trigger control and performance on target even though it feels too small; thus I've kept it at medium.

For reference, a CZ75 SPO1 grip feels just about perfect, and a Beretta 92 feels nice as well. Both handguns also give me lots of room for my support hand, whereas the P2000 feels like my support hand is gripping my firing hand more than it is the gun. To maximize the contact I do have with the support hand, I've put a strip of grip tape on the left side grip which is enough to make a difference (especially when sweaty) but isn't painful when carrying as if the entire left side was grip-taped.

Thanks for the input so far, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    As for the P2000, I ran the first 1200 or so rounds with the large back strap because it's what initially felt right....however, the apex of the large strap seems to be rather pointed, and created an uncomfortable pressure point so I switched it out for the medium. When switching out to the medium, I also noticed an immediate increase in trigger control and performance on target even though it feels too small; thus I've kept it at medium.

For reference, a CZ75 SPO1 grip feels just about perfect, and a Beretta 92 feels nice as well.
    I noticed the same on the P2000SK as well, with the larger backstrap being a bit... pointed. For my use of that gun, I'm not worried about it, but if it were a full sized it would annoy me.

I have shot CZ75's as well (a pre-B, and a Baby Desert Eagle Compact), and yes, they feel about as good as it gets to me too. It sounds like our hands are about the same size.

J.Ja

Oddly, I have noted that I get a more secure weak hand purchase on blockier USP and Glock style grips than I do rounder grips like my current M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by jslaker View Post
    Oddly, I have noted that I get a more secure weak hand purchase on blockier USP and Glock style grips than I do rounder grips like my current M&P.
    I think it's because the overall length of travel for our fingers is longer compared to a rounder grip, thus the increased space.

Exactly the reason I was asking about the USPc Sometimes newer is not always better, so I wanted to check into it.

Would it help if I took some pictures to show the differences in them?

J.Ja

Would it help if I took some pictures to show the differences in them?

J.Ja
    I would really like to see the comparison between a USP C and a P30 if you don't mind!

Quote Originally Posted by BCA View Post
    I would really like to see the comparison between a USP C and a P30 if you don't mind!
    I don't have a USPc handy, but the one I shot belongs to my gym partner, I'll ask him to bring it tomorrow to the gym so I can get some pictures.

What kind of pictures are you looking for? How my hand holds it? Or the two grips side-by-side?

J.Ja

User Tag List