Thread: Breaking in a gun?

Breaking in a gun?

This is probably a noob question. As I've been reading through the different forums, I have been seeing references to breaking a gun in. What exactly is meant by that? Is it referring to getting a comfort level with how the gun performs and its reliability, or are there actual positive changes to the gun itself as it gets some use on it?

If it is the latter, what sort of changes do you see, and how much use needs to be on the gun to see them? Also, are the changes something a beginning shooter would notice?

Thanks in advance for your patience with an inexperienced shooter and for your replies.

It is always a good idea, with any gun new to you, to put at least 500 rds through it. These can be a mixture of FMJ's and which ever defensive round you prefer. Usually if a gun can go through 500 rds, it's probably good to go. A modern quality handgun does not (should not) require a break-in period per se to function, but it should be fired prior to carrying to ensure it functions properly.

Breaking in a gun refers to reducing the tolerance stacking of a pistol.

Sometimes things just need to loosen up a bit, particularly springs. Take for instance the HK P30 9mm pistols.....it's pretty well known that it's a good idea to run a couple hundred hotter or heavier rounds through it before using mouse-fart 115gr loads, as it's not uncommon to have stoppages with said mouse-farts until the pistol is "broken in."

Kahr pistols have a very well defined break in period. They're machined extremely tightly.

Break-in is not universal to all pistols, or even brands. As an example of such, the 9mm HK P30 is known to like a break-in as I wrote earlier.....whereas no other HK's are known to need one, including the .40S&W P30. Some pistols need to be broke-in differently, so either different procedures and/or different longevity of break in period.

No matter what, even if Gun "X" does not require a break-in, if the gun is going to be used for any serious purpose it should be vetted......as well as each individual magazine it's going to use in such a role (mags are the cause of most problems in auto-loaders). Sometimes a part may be out of spec, so it's important to find out and fix any problems before the pistol is expected to perform when needed.

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

I am currently shooting an M&P 9 Pro, and I have only shot 115 grain FMJ through it (approximately 1000 rounds total). I haven't experienced any problems with the gun, but my next range session will include the self defense rounds I have to establish the gun's reliability with them.

Also, would it benefit me to shoot hotter loads through this gun in terms of breaking it in?

I did not consider paying attention to the magazines as part of a reliability check. I'm assuming that I need to shoot the different loads through each a few times to establish that they are good to go as well. Thanks for the head's up on that.

There's also the concept of breaking A rifle barrel in -- different thing, probably more or less valid.

A lot of people -- and gun manufacturers -- would like you to relax about any malfunctions that occur during say the first 500 rounds.

The product the company I work for makes does this too -- performance is better after fifty cycles and still better after 1000 (on a product with a 1kk insertion mechanical life). I have customers who are mad at us for not 'preconditioning' the product.
    Ignore Alien Orders

"break in" is normal for most guns. But there are somethings that you want to look for when breaking in your gun.

Does it feed with all the mags that came with it?
    Does it feed and slide-lock on the last round?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with only one round loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with two rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with three rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with four rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with five rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with six rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with seven rounds loaded?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag?
    Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag +1?
    Where does the brass fall?
    Does the gun feel solid?
    Is anything found loose? Grips? Sights? Barrel?........
    Yes, the slide stop/release is tight.
    Trigger take-up?
    Trigger brake? It should be a surprise.
    Trigger reset?
    Does it shoot to aim

If after you are having problems with anything on this list after 500-600 rounds I would contact the manufacturer.

User Tag List