Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR: Pistol Shooting Solutions with Gabe White(Who?), McHenry, IL, Jan 2018

Quote Originally Posted by NickDrak View Post
    I really should have went to this��
    I really think you would've gotten a lot out of it, man... I know you're squared away on "tactics" and etc, but the shooting stuff might've really been insightful for you...

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    My take is a bit different than Les's. Not that I found the class any less stellar than he, I didn't, but we were coming at it from different positions. He as a gamer, myself as a Timmy. It has only been recently I have discovered gaming to try and improve my skills. This was the aspect of the class I appreciated the most, the technical aspect. Just tonight I was already working some of the dry drills. As to the movement and cover sections, I thought they were very well done, but that is actually stuff I have quite a bit of experience with.
    Perhaps what I liked the most, conceptually speaking: a diverse group of people, with a variety of backgrounds and experiences, could all walk in and take away a few really great eye-openers.

Congrats Les!!!! Just goes to show the Pizza guns can be shot fat and accurately !!!!!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Congrats Les!!!! Just goes to show the Pizza guns can be shot fat and accurately !!!!!
    While that is true, I don’t think the gun had that much to do with his performance.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Great AAR, I lost my notes for when I took Gabe's class in VA (the Bataan Death March class, holy fuck it was HOT).
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Great AAR, I lost my notes for when I took Gabe's class in VA (the Bataan Death March class, holy fuck it was HOT).
    After seeing the energy level and work Gabe puts into a class, I don't know how he could do it in extreme heat. And that is coming from someone who loves heat.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    After seeing the energy level and work Gabe puts into a class, I don't know how he could do it in extreme heat. And that is coming from someone who loves heat.
    The funny thing was that I don't think Gabe can take the cold... I mean, Chicago wasn't "balmy" by any stretch, but we were in the windy low-40's while he was here and he would shiver! I loaned him a jacket... LOL

Several things stood out to me in this class:

Great host, facility, and range owner - we had a great time largely as a result of those three.

Overall skill of the class - I've had some highly skilled classes so far, but this is the first time every single shooter took home a performance pin. I expect this to be rare. As I state in class, the performance goals are just that - high goals to reach for, appropriate for use by dedicated practitioners, not standards of performance that there is a moral or professional obligation to meet. A great many people have, and will, get the job done for real, who wouldn't be anywhere near any of the pins.

Les' performance in the class testing was all the more impressive to me personally in that he was obviously performing essentially at his on-demand level since he hit 7/8 turbo runs, and every single shot he fired in the testing was an A. That's high GM performance in my book.

The pattern I've seen in competition and training has held true - the best technical shooters have the greatest success when it comes to application in harder circumstances, such as shooting in combination with movement, tightly and fluidly working a barrier, and maneuvering. Les' foundational stand and shoot skills allowed him to maintain great hits when more complication was present. Seen this over and over and experienced it myself as I've improved.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    The funny thing was that I don't think Gabe can take the cold... I mean, Chicago wasn't "balmy" by any stretch, but we were in the windy low-40's while he was here and he would shiver! I loaned him a jacket... LOL
    I'm from Oregon dude, I basically don't know what either hot or cold weather are lol.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    I took this class primarily because my only training before it was the IL CCW class. 16 hours of mostly nothing interesting and a few shots from a range stall. I figure if I'm going to suggest to people to buy a Glock 19, a case of ammo, and a class with a good instructor, I probably ought to do that myself. So I also ran my Gen 5 Glock 19 from appendix. I figured, "technical timmie class=technical timmie gear".

I don't have a lot of experience with training classes so i don't feel like I have a lot of perspective from which to judge but I figured I'd tack on my take.

I found Gabe to be energetic and intelligent. Like Les was saying, the portion on drawing from AIWB and "gliding" into a shooting position was well worth the price of admission. Even more so was the shooting on the move section of the class, which I have never trained before. Even as a casually interested gamer, I am more of a "run to the places, then shoot the things." or a "Scoot and shoot" kind of gamer. The man on man steel challenges were pretty awesome and there was also a section on the use of cover which was a very intelligent discussion about the use of cover (turns out, it's harder than IDPA makes it seem), but my one huge takeaway was this...

As far as a discussion of sights and sight focus goes, I always figured I got a decent front sight in focus when I was shooting. Turns out, the level of focus I had on the front sight was much less than it could have been, and that kinda came to be a lightbulb moment to me after a discussion by Gabe about vision, I kinda dicked around with the idea of focal depth shifting on a few drills we did, and I found that ultimately, I really like the technique and it could very well lead to some gains in my shooting game with more practice on the subject. I really think this new lightbulb could lead to me really starting to enjoy the process of getting better, as opposed to being goal oriented.

It was super cool meeting Gabe and shooting with some of the P-F crew and the rest of the class, who were a bunch of very solid shooters. Alpha is an awesome range, and the members there are awesome people, who ware very welcoming, even of non members (like myself). There was coffee and donuts both mornings, which was awesome, and I wound up with the light pin. I definitely felt a little inconsistent in a few drills and and could definitely see where my weaknesses are. Cleaning up the draw a little, running a little faster on the splits and sharpening my front sight focus. Fortunately, there are some good drills to practice and some new dry fire techniques to practice and matches to shoot while I wait for it to warm up enough that I can practice at my main range.
    Last edited by 45dotACP; 01-23-2018 at 04:17 PM.

User Tag List