Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so Anti AG?

I find that hybrid holsters are mostly worn by folks that don’t carry full time.

That’s not a knock, necessarily. But I get that people, “new,” to carrying want as least intrusive a holster as possible. And that makes sense. Spreading the belt attachments over a wider area, allowing the holster to remain thin, makes sense.

However, there ARE better ways to skin that cat.

The Milt Sparks Versatac III, the Comptac CTAC and the JMCK/JRC Hybrid are the way to go in outboard attachment holsters.

See, the problem with many hybrids and why you won’t see them on the hips of the cognoscenti here, is that the pad, whether thin leather, or neoprene or whatever foam they use, that gives the rig such a comfortable feel, collapses under the pressure of the belt when the gun is removed, and it makes reholstering potentially dangerous. Uninformed users will, “rock,” “pick,” or, “saw,” their pistol back into their holster, all the whilst pointing their muzzle squarely at themselves. You can break one of the four Firearms safety rules and be ok, but break two, and something is getting shot. People who aren’t trained break the rules frequently...

Thus, you won’t see much enthusiasm for hybrids here.

If you want conventional IWB, I think the JMCK #3 in the Givens configuration is the bee’s knees of that style of holster. I have them for G19, M&P FS, K frame, L frame and 1911, which is anything and everything I might ever have to use in my life.

I’m glad you changed your answer on the rounds you’ve fired since 1998...like most of the weirdos here, I’ve fired several hundred since Breakfast...

civiliandefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A lot of innovation looks like a gimmick at first- but a lot of gimmicks try to sell themselves as innovation.

One important difference- does all this rigamarole actually do something that needs doing?

In this case, do people really need a noisy and complicated fan to comfortably carry IWB? The answer is no- if you are doing it right, you'd be fine with a proper holster made by a reputable maker.
    And a generous application of Goldbond.
    That fan though!

What happens when it catches fire and you have to doff your rig in public? That’s a bad idea.

civiliandefender.com

As most others have touched on, hybrid holsters suffer problems with retention, reholstering, and build quality.

As @orionz06 mentioned FoF scenarios have demonstrated, time and time again - that the best holsters are made of kydex or leather not both. And that those holsters have a firm attachment mechanism (such as a kydex or leather solid loop) with snap-loops being a close second.

Since Alien Gear offers nothing of that type, really, I don't consider them to be "in the running" for serious use holsters.

Site Supporter
    I mostly use Kydex now but hybrid holsters have a place in my drawer. Crossbreed SnapSlide OWB holsters, foe example, are well-made, easy to re-holster, and cheap. I have a half-dozen of them. Some survived multiple high-round count courses without issues. Leather does eventually soften but holster remains safe and usable. I also have an IWB Crossbreed Supertuck that's also good to go.

I bought an AG IWB holster for a S&W Shield and didn't like it. Hard to re-holster, uncomfortable even after break-in, and trigger coverage is marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    That fan though!

What happens when it catches fire and you have to doff your rig in public? That’s a bad idea.

civiliandefender.com

You genteel folks and your euphemisms! Where a man doffs his rig is his own business, I say!
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I don't think it exactly that people are anti- Alien Gear or whatever the holster-of-the-month is but that there are so many better holsters that have been vetted by true EDC'ers, or Mil/LE, or multiple FoF evolutions, or SME input, or all of the above.

It also helps that some very cool dudes tend to own and manage the above holster companies.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 01-22-2018 at 07:11 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

That fan though!

civiliandefender.com
    Fan starts smoking, people looking at you, response:
    “I guess I do smoke after sex”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeParamedic View Post
    I chose one that a lot of reviews said were good and shipped. I am not based in the US.
    Reviews by people about whom you know nothing are worth exactly what you pay for them. That's not just AG, that's anywhere.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    People here are absolutely not anti-innovation. In fact, some regulars here are innovators.

People here are, however, anti-innovation-for-the-purpose-of-solving-nonexistent-problems-at-the-expense-of-creating-real-problems.

Anyone who has carried a gun for any length of time will tell you that the best holster is one that adds as little bulk as possible to the total package that needs to be concealed. Trying to make a holster do multiple things adds bulk, in addition to creating more failure points in the holster design. Trying to do too many things usually means doing fewer of them well.

Cooling has never been an issue for me, even carrying all day IWB in 90+ degree heat while also carrying a backpack full of water, rain gear, etc. while on vacation. A cooling fan just adds weight, bulk, and noise I don’t need as I violated the “no guns” sign at our location on one such day. It would just add to the risk of the visit being cut short with no benefit.

Pick one of the recommended holsters in one of these threads, wear it for a few days, and see if you don’t come to the same conclusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

If you want conventional IWB, I think the JMCK #3 in the Givens configuration is the bee’s knees of that style of holster. I have them for G19, M&P FS, K frame, L frame and 1911, which is anything and everything I might ever have to use in my life.
    I'm familiar with the #3, but what set of options is the "Givens configuration"?

User Tag List