Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why so Anti AG?

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    Generally, a 20-25 degree cant, and a hard belt loop (if I recall correctly, I believe Tom says he dials it back to a 15-20 degree cant for a G19). http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/TOM-G...CKAGE-G17.html
    Thanks Martin! Sorry for the delay. Teeth needed pulling.

Yes...25 degree cant and hard loop. I run the 25 degree on my G19 and my M&P too, with no issues. I think the cant, while it is helpful for concealment, access becomes an issue for some in terms of shoulder and elbow mobility. So folks have it, and some don’t.

civiliandefender.com

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    Can the same feature of the backing also cause the gun to get stuck in the holster when you try to draw due to body pressure against the gun? I remember a well respected trainer saying that.
    Your britches are waaay too tight if you can get a gun to stick in the Comptac from body pressure. Of course it also uses two layers of leather and creates sort of a horse shoe with one that creates space for the other.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 01-23-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Thanks Martin! Sorry for the delay. Teeth needed pulling.

Yes...25 degree cant and hard loop. I run the 25 degree on my G19 and my M&P too, with no issues. I think the cant, while it is helpful for concealment, access becomes an issue for some in terms of shoulder and elbow mobility. So folks have it, and some don’t.

civiliandefender.com
    I prefer the same cant as well, even for the 19.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I guess the facts and voice of reason can't penetrate the noise of the ad campaigns. Unfortunate.
    Price is a driver there too. I spent weeks explaining to a friend how the AG would just disappoint for everyday carry but he was stuck on the under $40 price point.

I started carrying with leather and hybrid holsters - these days I am 100% for kydex. The comfort issues with kydex that I feared and was trying to avoid early on proved imaginary ... at least once I bought my first JMCK holster.
    "A man's character is his fate."

Site Supporter
    Re: leather v. Kydex, and minimalist v. spreading out the load:

The vast majority of leather IWB holsters I have seen, which typically include an extra layer of leather at the mouth of the holster for reinforcement, add too much thickness to the total package that must be concealed. I have seen holsters from well known makers that easily add 1/4 inch or more of thickness.

A small number of holster makers use, or have used, reinforcement only at the front of the holster rather than the sides. This is a good way to get reinforcement without extra thickness.

Matt Del Fatti made an IWB holster for me with forward and rearward extending wings for the belt loops. This works quite well with leather, because it is flexible, and does an excellent job of distributing weight and aiding comfort. With rigid Kydex, unless the curve in the holster matches your body, I don't see it working well. The ends of the Kydex would either push the belt out if not curved enough, or dig into your sides if curved too much.

This same holster was, at the time, sold without a reinforced mouth. Matt added a reinforcement tothe inside, using metal covered by thin leather, and also extended it upward where the sweat shield would normally go, so that it fits under the on-safe safety of a 1911, holding it on safe. The reinforcement is thin enough so that I would not hesitate to order the holster reinforced on both sides. That is the exception, however, and not the rule.

A minimalist Kydex holster solves the problem of added thickness as well as the problem of matching the holster curvature to the body curvature.

I am 5' 8" tall, and currently weigh about 170 lb., so I don't think the size of the person matters when it comes to minimalist verses spreading the weight around.

For OWB holsters, I prefer leather.

@Tamara has a piece up at Recoil magazine about holsters, including the Alien Gear "Fanster": Innovating the Wheel? | RECOIL
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by s0nspark View Post
    Price is a driver there too. I spent weeks explaining to a friend how the AG would just disappoint for everyday carry but he was stuck on the under $40 price point.
    If that price point is an issue, the I would take a hard look at the CCC Uno:

http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/T...on-2_p_47.html

I have 2 of them, plus a few VersaClips, and can attest to their quality.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

While walking around SHOT a friend decided to stop by the AG booth. Their sales pitch was atrocious. They clearly don't understand what a holster needs to do, shouldn't do, and so on. Their employees were dressed with awkward knee holsters, they spoke of a wrist holster, and they're working on an ankle holster all based on their current design. Their only appeal is bottom line. If a dealer spends under $1000 the amount of marketing AG brings to them is quite solid. Solid enough that a few of us may try and game the system and set up one of our companies to be an AG dealer and see if they promote us.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    While walking around SHOT a friend decided to stop by the AG booth. Their sales pitch was atrocious. They clearly don't understand what a holster needs to do, shouldn't do, and so on. Their employees were dressed with awkward knee holsters, they spoke of a wrist holster, and they're working on an ankle holster all based on their current design. Their only appeal is bottom line. If a dealer spends under $1000 the amount of marketing AG brings to them is quite solid. Solid enough that a few of us may try and game the system and set up one of our companies to be an AG dealer and see if they promote us.
    Can you make me an air conditioned wrist holster for a Glock 17 Gen 5?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TYR View Post
    Can you make me an air conditioned wrist holster for a Glock 17 Gen 5?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I see a whole universe of new holsters and peripherals becoming available to address jock itch, athlete's foot and toenail fungus. Is this a great country or what?

There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List