Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why so Anti AG?

Why so Anti AG?

So.. this could be opening a can of worms... but....

Howcome so many people on this forum are anti AlienGear? I looked around for a good holster and in the end based on price and modularity I chose the Alien Gear Shapeshift. I looked at a lot of reviews and commends all over the place(Except here obviously.. Lol) and got it.
    Had it for 2 days, and certainly no major complaints.

Have I missed something? Should I be looking to get another brand and get my 30 Day money back from them?

Not sure what I missed or why it is so frowned upon here...

Enlighten me?

thanks!
    CP

You have no complaints, but started a thread complaining about the discomfort of IWB?

For one thing, hybrid holsters are huge. And not usually made well. 2 days is not a lot of time, unless maybe you did a crossfit session with it on. Alien Gear specifically recently came in for a lot of criticism for announcing an IWB holster with built in cooling fan, thereby taking the derpster title away from the Blackhawk! Derpa.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

There are far superior holsters out there in terms of comfort, durability, safety, and in-fight retention. In FoF training hybrid holsters typically fall apart. That's not to be critical of AG but instead all hybrid holsters. It also helps that posters here frequently complain of AG and comfort and those complaints are often resolved by using a non-hybrid holster.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I don’t see any reason why you would spend $90 on an AG (the shapeshifter being this price as I googled it) when you could buy a Dark Star Gear for the same price, a Raven Concealment or a JM Custom for even less. I don’t have experience with Raven but the other two companies have well designed holsters that are durable, have no sharp edges and made by people who understand what has to go into a holster for everday carry.

Alien Gear and Crossbreed are probably the the two biggest holster makers I see that could really benefit from cutting back on marketing and spend more time researching how to make better holsters...that don’t come with fans, a juice blender or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    You have no complaints, but started a thread complaining about the discomfort of IWB?
    My complaint was not the holster.. general IWB.. but I hear you.. I have not really tried many other brands simply since getting them to me is really difficult, so I chose one that a lot of reviews said were good and shipped. I am not based in the US.

Regarding the cooling fan.. not saying I am for it or against it, but seems people are against innovation and out of the box thinking? Dunno.. maybe I am just new here and don't understand this stuff... but I have carried a G19 since 1998 and have trained and fired hundreds of rounds... so I think I am somewhat capable of making decisions on what works or doesnt...

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeParamedic View Post
    Regarding the cooling fan.. not saying I am for it or against it, but seems people are against innovation and out of the box thinking? Dunno.. maybe I am just new here and don't understand this stuff... but I have carried a G19 since 1998 and have trained and fired hundreds of rounds... so I think I am somewhat capable of making decisions on what works or doesnt...
    People here are not against innovation, they are for innovation that makes things simpler rather than more complex, smaller rather than bigger, and more efficient as opposed to ungainly and worse, perhaps unsafe. We tend to pare things down to the essence rather than go the other way.

By the way, I'm assuming you misspoke because having fired hundreds of rounds since 1998 isn't much of a qualifier around these parts.

Many of us have been carrying for decades and still keep an open mind toward learning a new wrinkle, technique or piece of equipment from our fellow members here.

If you have your mind set on Alien Gear, go in peace. But you'll probably not convince many folks around here of its superiority for any particular purpose (other than grist for the humor mill).
    Last edited by blues; 01-22-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    By the way, I'm assuming you misspoke because having fired hundreds of rounds since 1998 isn't much of a qualifier around these parts.
    LOL.. sorry about that.. yeah.. wouldn't be too impressive... I mean to say Hundreds of Thousands of rounds....

For me it's the do it all modularity concept, a quality well engineered holster is mission specific so to speak, think 5Shot SME, JMCK, CCC, Raven OWB, Milt Sparks 55BN, VMII.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeParamedic View Post
    I am not based in the US.
    Neither am I. May I recommend JM Custom Kydex? I have bought several holsters from them, and plan to buy more. Their shipping costs are reasonable, as are their prices, and their products are excellent. Since you have a Glock, the biggest delay in receiving one of their holsters would probably be due to shipping.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

A lot of innovation looks like a gimmick at first- but a lot of gimmicks try to sell themselves as innovation.

One important difference- does all this rigamarole actually do something that needs doing?

In this case, do people really need a noisy and complicated fan to comfortably carry IWB? The answer is no- if you are doing it right, you'd be fine with a proper holster made by a reputable maker.
    And a generous application of Goldbond.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List