Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had to buy a truck in the next couple of weeks... RFI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasBronco View Post
    From the types of cargo you mentioned, a full-size SUV, like a Suburban sounds like a good option. Interior storage for all that you are carrying that is lockable and not exposed to the elements. I also didn't see it mentioned, but you are going to be going through vehicles fairly quickly given the mileage expectation. You might want to calculate that into the vehicle allowance.
    As a Texan, I wouldn't drive a Ridgeline if you gave it to me.
    The mileage thing is definitely a concern, it sounds like I'll likely be replacing the vehicle at around the same time that it is finally paid off. 30-40k/year for 5 years is likely at or near the end of the service life (I'm guessing). A Suburban would be awesome, but I think it would be a little over budget.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but do you need a true crew cab, 4 real doors, or have any plans of putting adults in the back seat ?

If so, definitely go full-size.

If not, make sure you fit in a Taco before you go that way. I love them but taller guys seem to universally be I able to tolerate them.

If you are just using the back seat for cargo/can space, the extended cab F150 with 6’ bed would be a good choice.

If it were me in this boat I’d consider a. Extended cab F150 4x4 XLT with the 2.7 Ecoboost.

My opinion is based on 7 years in an ‘08 Taco, trading for a ‘16 Taco, which I liked but flipped for a (still new on the lot) ‘15 F150 supercrew 3.5 EB for the extra space and similar mpg. It is a King Ranch but I think it’s stupid to go past XLT on trim level honestly.
    We don't have kids yet and I can't really think of a scenario where we'd have other adults with us. That being said, I kinda like the idea of 4 real doors. I'm 6'00"/170lbs., so I'm not huge, but I'm not exactly short.

Site Supporter
    How about a Tahoe Custom? Third seat is deleted, which gives 112 cubic feet of cargo space.
    http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...815-tahoe.html
    I really like trucks, but I think they are best at hauling dirty stuff in the bed (like muddy decoys, mountain bikes, skunked dogs, etc). Not necessarily things that are not dirty or attractive to steal.
    Of course everything is a compromise, and you can get a cover or a canopy for a truck.
    Last edited by idahojess; 01-22-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    The Diesel Colorado could really allow you to maximize the life of the vehicle (at least on the engine side). And better gas mileage. If your company pays you the same amount whether your truck is brand new or with 300k miles I would get the diesel. If it only pays you what it costs I would have new trucks regularly and get whatever you want (Raptor).

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    I'm not a truck guy, or even a car guy really... In the last week, I've gone from having no interest in buying a truck, to needing one for a job I'll be starting in a couple of weeks...

My new employer will be giving me $1,100 a month to cover the payment, insurance and some (or all) of the fuel costs. Much of the job will be driving, and the guys that I've talked to say that they put 30-40k miles a year on their vehicles in mixed business/personal driving. Much of the job will be on the road in the PNW, driving with 3-7' long product samples (hence the need for a truck bed). The weather in some parts of the territory can get a little nasty in the winter, so I'm thinking 4WD.

As an aside, I don't really have much in the way of experience driving/parking pickups. Previous vehicles have been a VW GTI and a Honda Accord.

So far I'm leaning to either an F-150 with some flavor of Ecoboost, or a Tacoma TRD.

F-150
    Pros: good gas mileage for a full-size truck, probably the smoother ride between the two.
    Cons: probably more size/capability than I need.

Tacoma:
    Pros: Looks cool, sized right
    Cons: about the same fuel economy as some full-size options. Expensive for the size.

I saw the previous truck thread, but I'm hesitant to be an early adopter, and some of those options aren't available yet.

Thoughts? Am I missing anything? Suggestions?
    I'd definitely opt for an F150. One thing to keep in mind (with whichever vehicle you pick since you will be spending this much time in the truck) is that little creature comforts are nice to have. While you may think that things like heated/cooled seats and XM satellite radio are not necessary, they make driving more pleasurable.
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 01-22-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Forgot to put a sentence in

Site Supporter
    I had a 2004 F150 and have a 2015 Tacoma. They got fairly comparable mileage. I'm not a big guy and I find the Taco small. The Taco is definitely easier to park.

If your cargo is going to be fishing rods and rifles, I would imagine that you would need to have them completely contained and secured. I'm not sure a 7' fishing rod (assembled?) would fit in the 5.5' bed of a 4 door Tacoma, maybe the 2 door with a 6.5'. In either event, would you need a lockable folding or rigid cover?

In much the same demographic (not a car/truck guy, first time truck buyer) I choose the RAM 1500 last year.

I'm not too keen on an aluminum bodied vehicle, no matter how much the Ford salesman tells me "it is stronger". I did like the throttle response of the 3.5L EcoBoost, but those trucks got pricey quick when you added options. I'd be a little nervous about using a pressure boosted engine in the mountains.

Curb size, I found the Colorado/Canyon to be nearly the same sized as the Silverado/Sierra. But they definitely felt smaller on the inside, even if their foot print in the driveway was similar.

I really wanted to like the Silverado (especially in the swank High Country trim) or the Sierra SLT All Terrain. I found the 5.3L V8 to suck in acceleration. I test drove a used High Country 3 times and could never get better than 17mpg out of it.

The Toyotas were out for me; Tundra sucks in fuel economy and the Tacoma felt nearly as cramped as my then-owned Toyota Corolla.

Brought me to the RAM. At $36k I was able to get a new truck with comparable amenities to the $50k + GM or Ford offerings. Plus, I got push start (which I really like). Gas mileage has been a little underwhelming (hovering around 19mpg average, using 87 octane fuel on flat land), but the throttle response is great. 7800 miles into it now and I don't regret my choice. I do like the external aesthetics of the GM offerings a bit more and want the towing capability of the Tundra, but for my needs the RAM Laramie is a great fit. If I could have convinced the wife, I'd have picked up the Rebel(she thought it was too ugly).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    How legal is it to grab some friends and plane tickets, raid a Taliban base for a few Hilux trucks, and ship them back?
    Just buy one in Guatemala and drive it up through Mexico. Cheaper and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I am getting great service out of my 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 Hemi. I would get one of the full size trucks and not a midsize.
    Ditto with a 2014 Ram hemi. Decent mileage and very comfortable.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Tundra I’ve had 2 and they were both solid trucks and if I were to need another truck it would be high on my list.
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Just buy one in Guatemala and drive it up through Mexico. Cheaper and easier.
    I like cheaper and easier, but you're really reducing the fun factor.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List