Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: If you had to buy a truck in the next couple of weeks... RFI

I’ve had several trucks for almost 20 years. By far, the most reliable that have taken more abuse with ease were the first generation Tacomas, which are sadly not made any more. Only reason I sold the latest (an ‘03) is because my son’s car seat wouldn’t fit in the back seat. Despite it’s smallish size, I hauled everything with that truck, took it off-roading and even did a couple of 4-diamond rated off-road trails without even knowing about their rating til afterwards. That little truck was unstoppable and unbreakable, and I wish I still had it.

I now drive a ‘15 Tundra. I considered the newer mid-sized Tacomas, but when I realized they were almost the same price as a full-size Tundra, I went with the Tundra. Despite being a Toyota, it was once rated the most “American” of all the trucks, with more American parts than even the domestic brands. Don’t know if that’s still true now, though. It’s also assembled in Texas. So far it’s been reliable with 50K miles on it. Mine has the bed that’s slightly longer than 6’ (maybe 78”?). I’ve easily hauled all kinds of stuff with it. The 5.7L engine is a beast, but it guzzles gas. It averages 14.2 mpg with mixed city/hwy, but that’s with slightly bigger 33” all-terrains. But I knew mileage would be bad when I got it, so I’m not complaining. My only complaint about it is its size. It’s a behemoth compared to the older, smaller Tacomas I was used to. But it’s no more bigger than the other 4-door fullsize Chevys, Fords, Dodges, etc. The main problem with these big trucks is that their long wheelbase makes it harder to off-road in narrower, forested trails compared to Jeeps and older smaller Toyota pickups.

I have no experience with any of the newer domestic brands. I’ve had a fullsize ‘86 and a ‘93 Bronco and also used to drive my Dad’s half-ton GM van back in the 80’s and 90’s. The Broncos, which were similar to the F150s of that time, were a bear to work on and modify compared to the jeep and Toyotas I used to work on. I went through 3 transmissions and a transfer case with them. Seems like most stuff was difficult to get a wrench on, and lifting their front suspensions were a hassle because of the twin traction beams. Drilling through their thick frames was also a chore, and they still managed to bend somehow when my brother-in-law last fourwheeled the ‘93. It was a love-hate relationship with those fullsize Ford Broncos, but their reliability issues made me wary of Ford trucks. Of course, those were much older models. Don’t know how the newer Fords hold up. Never had any problems with my Dad’s half-ton GM vans, but those were older models, too. Don’t know anything about the Dodge or Titan trucks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Eco boost only gets 14mpg or so real world (buddy has one)

I’d consider the diesels with how much you’ll be driving, the Nissan offering comes with a dedicated cummins, and the Chevy Colorado comes with a smaller diesel for mpg.

Diesel has about 30% more energy per gallon, and runs much leaner (less fuel used per volume air), and at a lower rpm. All of this means more mpg, especially if you’re high mileage it’s enough to offset maintenance costs, and the added range in the tank means you travel longer between fillups. Fillups kill time on the road for highway, since you’re getting 0 mph vs 70mph.

For reference, my dually f350 is a 99, has a 38 gallon tank, over 600 mile range, and gets 20mpg without trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your 99 diesel also does not have a DEF system, which is mandatory on all new diesels.

It has been a constant PITA with my 2012 Chevy 2500. Just has it’s fourth trip to the shop in two years for issues relating to false low DEF readings causing the computer to restrict / step down the speed to force you to add DEF. There is no way I would ever buy another new diesel with a DEF system.

DEF fluid is corrosive and causes the sensors in the DEF tank to go bad. DEF fluid also has a limited shelf life and is temperature sensitive. Add old or bad DEF and you will not be going anywhere.

Had a 2013 F150 v8 as a work truck for a while and it was great. Just took a road trip to Louisiana in a ‘17 F150 V8. Only negative was a lot of whistle / road noise from the windshield at highway speed. Not sure it it was that truck or just the new design.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-23-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Site Supporter
    While true, we haven’t had any def issues with our work f350 6.7 or Ram 2500 6.7. However, they frequently tow heavy loads, which to my understanding results in the def rarely being utilized in those conditions (still uses it when unloaded). We buy from the nearest source when low, with whatever funnel is handy if it doesn’t come with a spout. I treat it like I’m filling up for fuel and try to top it off then - yes it was annoying at first, but I never ran low on it either that way.

The thing that’s nice about def trucks - double the torque of non-def trucks (the ram 6.7 is at what, 900 ftlb now? My 7.3 is rated at 500). Typically higher tow ratings as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd look at a Colorado/Canyon 4wd longbed. 25MPG w/ the 305HP V6 or 30MPG with the diesel.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Your 99 diesel also does not have a DEF system, which is mandatory on all new diesels.

It has been a constant PITA with my 2012 Chevy 2500. Just has it’s fourth trip to the shop in two years for issues relating to false low DEF readings causing the computer to restrict / step down the speed to force you to add DEF. There is no way I would ever buy another new diesel with a DEF system.

DEF fluid is corrosive and causes the sensors in the DEF tank to go bad. DEF fluid also has a limited shelf life and is temperature sensitive. Add old or bad DEF and you will not be going anywhere.

Had a 2013 F150 v8 as a work truck for a while and it was great. Just took a road trip to Louisiana in a ‘17 F150 V8. Only negative was a lot of whistle / road noise from the windshield at highway speed. Not sure it it was that truck or just the new design.
    Can you not do a delete?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    That’s why I thought of the Sienna (which comes in AWD) and Highlander. Both are supposed to be well executed and reliable. Both have awd. I would bet both have 7’ behind the rear seat.
    I drive a 2014 Toyota Sienna AWD van. It's my second Sienna and I have had at least one Toyota in the stable since 1977. I am a fan.

Yes there is slightly over 7 feet behind the front seat. With the third row seats folded down there is lots of room between the rear seats for rods laying down. The second row seats are removable. I have considered other vehicles, but nothing fills all my wants and needs better than an AWD Toyota van.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I drive a 2014 Toyota Sienna AWD van. It's my second Sienna and I have had at least one Toyota in the stable since 1977. I am a fan.

Yes there is slightly over 7 feet behind the front seat. With the third row seats folded down there is lots of room between the rear seats for rods laying down. The second row seats are removable. I have considered other vehicles, but nothing fills all my wants and needs better than an AWD Toyota van.
    Have you used the AWD in slick conditions? How did it work?

I am considering one to replace our young 200k mile fine running 2002 4runner which simply is overkill for town driving. The 4runner is reliable, but otherwise completely uncompelling as a car: slow, rough riding, poor handling, noisy, cramped inside. It is amazing in dirt, but we rarely need that.

The open diff/traction control system is actually superb in ice and snow, but again rarely needed.

My vote would be a F-150 Super-crew with the 2.7 eco boost engine. I have a 2015 with 73k on the odometer, no issues and average 19 MPG. I would go with the XLT package and add other items needed from the options. Might still be able to find a 2017 at a discount. If looking at smaller trucks/SUV’s I would go Toyota just make sure you fit in a Taco, I don’t and took a bath on a 2009 model. ThenHighlander is a great vehicle, wife has one with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Have you used the AWD in slick conditions? How did it work?
    It works great. I live in the country on a township road. We built a new home across the road from the farmhouse where I grew up. Just below our driveways is a spot where the road becomes a little steeper. Hundreds (no exaggeration) of cars have become stuck there when snow is on the road. I just drive up it like it is summer. I stop at the mailbox to pick up the mail and then drive up our steep driveway. We don't plow our driveway unless the snow is deep. And then only so it won't pack down and become ice. AWD drive is great.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    It works great. I live in the country on a township road. We built a new home across the road from the farmhouse where I grew up. Just below our driveways is a spot where the road becomes a little steeper. Hundreds (no exaggeration) of cars have become stuck there when snow is on the road. I just drive up it like it is summer. I stop at the mailbox to pick up the mail and then drive up our steep driveway. We don't plow our driveway unless the snow is deep. And then only so it won't pack down and become ice. AWD drive is great.
    Perfect. That is just how we would use it as well. Thank you.

User Tag List