Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IDPA-No penalty for not moving on a stage

IDPA-No penalty for not moving on a stage

Looks like it will be up to the shooter to decide if they want to shoot on the move from now on:

Effective immediately, we will discontinue giving procedural penalties for movement. We will, in the very near future, develop more course of fire recommendations to encourage movement but make it the option of the shooter as to how much moving they do while shooting. As always, we want to continue to improve IDPA and make it a fun, enjoyable experience for shooters of all skill levels. This information will be included in an updated version of the MD/CSO Guide on www.idpa.com.”

http://www.idpa.com/blog/post/2018/0...n-a-stage.aspx

Yes, and a flat footed short Classifier, too. The nearly new 72 shot Classifier is still standard, but who will bother?
    http://www.idpa.tech/the-5x5-classifier-abbreviated/
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Finally!!! That stupid "Oompa Loompa" march was getting so contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Yes, and a flat footed short Classifier, too. The nearly new 72 shot Classifier is still standard, but who will bother?
    http://www.idpa.tech/the-5x5-classifier-abbreviated/
    You know - I kinda like the new IDPA. There is a GREAT emphasis on hitting down zero all the time.

It is the medicine most new-to-intermediate gun owners really need. Humbling to a lot and a good laboratory to shake things out, really.

They've done a lot right and, while it still irks me that they're not letting folks AIWB, it seems to be really moving in the right direction...

Well, I have liked IDPA since 1997 but sometimes they make it hard. I liked IPSC, too, and USPSA is ok.

I am due to renew and I will surely keep up my IDPA membership as long as I can draw a gun, but I don't think I will take the current SO exam, just too much of a moving target.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    You know - I kinda like the new IDPA. There is a GREAT emphasis on hitting down zero all the time.

It is the medicine most new-to-intermediate gun owners really need. Humbling to a lot and a good laboratory to shake things out, really.

They've done a lot right and, while it still irks me that they're not letting folks AIWB, it seems to be really moving in the right direction...

we ran a "intro to IDPA" class last fall, got a bunch of new shooters at that class and others have been shooting matches as new shooters recently. we ran the 72 round classifier last month (Dec), i got DQ'd for slow, cold ammo, so i spent the rest of the day running shooters (SO here), and observing them as they shot that course of fire. a lot of humbled shooters when the scores were tallied. lots of points down that people didn't expect to get. "hey, i just run the timer and count points down, your job to hit the target". and now they know what they need to work on.

for the last two matches i've tried to keep my points down low. i've been down 7 each of those matches. won the second match because i also had low points down. plenty of others had lower raw times, but way more misses to cancel that out.

you have to hit your target first. then learn to go faster.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    you have to hit your target first. then learn to go faster.

So much +1 on this... This is really it.

I mean, it is a match, and for a lot of shooters a "safe space" to experiment with pushing a little harder, but the person that makes the fewest mistakes is pretty much going to take the cake...

Pushing speed in IDPA just doesn't really make any sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    So much +1 on this... This is really it.

I mean, it is a match, and for a lot of shooters a "safe space" to experiment with pushing a little harder, but the person that makes the fewest mistakes is pretty much going to take the cake...

Pushing speed in IDPA just doesn't really make any sense...
    the first Jan match, i knew i wasn't going to win it, too many other good shooters that day. so i used it as an experiment and practice. on 2 of the 5 stages, i went for, and made, head shots only. and was down 7 for the entire match.

for the second Jan match, i shot it normally, but made sure i was getting good hits, and over 5 stages was down 7 again, including down 3 on a drop turner at 20 yards. seated. with handcuffs on. we had 2 presentations, and several shooters managed to get down 10 on that one target. oops.

so, see your sights, make good hits.

go fast, don't miss.

I like IDPA and will likely continue to participate in local matches.

But I have a suggestion for IDPA headquarters:

Print out your latest rule changes and enclose them as a flyer in each day's local newspaper delivered to your customers. Given the current rate of daily/weekly/monthly rule changes, that is about the only way anyone interested in the sport could be expected to keep up!

Alternative: Include the daily announcement for IDPA rule changes in your local daily weather forecast.

I shot the match at our local club Saturday (https://practiscore.com/results/new/...7-6b9d0cf89db6) and the first I had even heard of the new movement rule was during the walk thru on stage 4....which definitely changed my plan for shooting that stage.

Maybe next it will be "you don't have to SHOOT if you chose not to and there will be no procedural penalty"....

I just wish they'd settle on a rule book and stick with it so we can relearn the rules and focus on shooting not remembering what the rules are now....
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 01-23-2018 at 03:32 PM.

User Tag List