Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New to IWB - Uncomfortable no matter what

Quote Originally Posted by leathermaneod View Post
    I kinda felt the same way when I first started carrying. For behind the hip or 4:00 carry, a hybrid works best for me, but I couldn’t do it comfortably with a gun the size of a G19. My current go to’s are my G43 and G26 which I carry AIWB mostly, but occasionally at 4:00. For me, a short barrel is very important for AIWB comfort, but grip doesn’t matter much. 4:00 carry is the opposite. If your set on continuing to use the G19, I’d just give it some time with your new setup and see if you can get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Same here. I've been toting the PPS in a Crossbreed for a couple three years. I carry weird anyway -- about 5:30 with the butt end to the right in a lefty holster. It's the only position from which I can draw relatively easily with either hand albeit certainly more slowly than an AIWB would be. At least I have it with me and accessible always. The hybrid is comfortable in that position but so is a cheap leather De Santis IWB belt clipper. Can't do all kydex IWB because of these obnoxious rashes I get from skin to plastic contact and T-shirts are not always feasible. It's either leather or hybrid or covering skin and holster with athletic tape. It is what its is.

The most comfortable holster, IMO, is a good leather shoulder rig. I carried that way for about 25 years. That obviously has some major drawbacks with concealment/clothing choices.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    I carry weird anyway -- about 5:30 with the butt end to the right in a lefty holster.
    Is that far enough from the spine to prevent serious damage if you fall on your back?

I use a Kore Gun Belt the leather version with a Vedder Light Tuck IWB with a Sig P320 Carry or Compact.
    I find the Belt very comfortable and sturdy. I loop it through my pants going left to right so the release lever on the buckle is on the bottom.
    I usually carry at 3 o’clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Is that far enough from the spine to prevent serious damage if you fall on your back?
    Hmm, I don't know. That's a good question that I haven't actually put much thought into. Nothing is directly contacting the spine, but it is closely adjacent for left hand draw. This is something I really need to look into and alter if necessary.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

I hope we haven't chased @CoffeeParamedic away...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Same here. I've been toting the PPS in a Crossbreed for a couple three years. I carry weird anyway -- about 5:30 with the butt end to the right in a lefty holster. It's the only position from which I can draw relatively easily with either hand albeit certainly more slowly than an AIWB would be. At least I have it with me and accessible always. The hybrid is comfortable in that position but so is a cheap leather De Santis IWB belt clipper. Can't do all kydex IWB because of these obnoxious rashes I get from skin to plastic contact and T-shirts are not always feasible. It's either leather or hybrid or covering skin and holster with athletic tape. It is what its is.

The most comfortable holster, IMO, is a good leather shoulder rig. I carried that way for about 25 years. That obviously has some major drawbacks with concealment/clothing choices.
    Line one other post above, I would also be concerned about the gun, or anything else that is bulky and rigid, being that close to the spine. You don't want to end up in a wheelchair if you fall on your back.

If I understand you correctly, this means that your right handed draw is going to end up being a modified "cavalry draw?" This would seem to create a huge risk of covering a lot of your body during a drawstroke. While I would be more willing to accept a risk like that for weak hand access if necessary, I would not want it for my primary draw.

Several years ago, at a local IDPA match at a now-defunct shooting range, a participant was allowed to draw from the position you describe. He was able to do it without covering himself, but doing so required a very slow draw that would be unlikely to succeed in a life or death situation.

Lastly, I would encourage a carry position from which you could safely practice at a shooting range that allows drawing from the holster. If you do insist on this carry position, then I would encourage investing in a SIRT pistol for practice if you have not done so already.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I hope we haven't chased @CoffeeParamedic away...
    Definitely not...
    I really appreciate the help and support...
    I am just trying to find my way here and all the experience and advice really helps.
    Just not easy to just order more holsters - shipping generally costs more than double the product as well as long time to get it to me, and pretty no options to send back if there is a problem...
    so don't wanna go blow tons of money on all different holsters just to try...

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeParamedic View Post
    Definitely not...
    I really appreciate the help and support...
    I am just trying to find my way here and all the experience and advice really helps.
    Just not easy to just order more holsters - shipping generally costs more than double the product as well as long time to get it to me, and pretty no options to send back if there is a problem...
    so don't wanna go blow tons of money on all different holsters just to try...
    Good.
    When you posted in the other thread that you aren't in the US, I realized that probably complicated matters.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Line one other post above, I would also be concerned about the gun, or anything else that is bulky and rigid, being that close to the spine. You don't want to end up in a wheelchair if you fall on your back.

If I understand you correctly, this means that your right handed draw is going to end up being a modified "cavalry draw?" This would seem to create a huge risk of covering a lot of your body during a drawstroke. While I would be more willing to accept a risk like that for weak hand access if necessary, I would not want it for my primary draw.

Several years ago, at a local IDPA match at a now-defunct shooting range, a participant was allowed to draw from the position you describe. He was able to do it without covering himself, but doing so required a very slow draw that would be unlikely to succeed in a life or death situation.

Lastly, I would encourage a carry position from which you could safely practice at a shooting range that allows drawing from the holster. If you do insist on this carry position, then I would encourage investing in a SIRT pistol for practice if you have not done so already.
    Didn't mean to drift the thread. My apologies.

I understand where you are coming from. I didn't purposefully set out to find the most unorthodox system possible. In a nutshell, after years and years of hard core sports participation my body is failing in more ways than I imagined it could. I can't rotate my right arm/shoulder in a conventional draw beyond 3:00. It simply will not go there. Palm out is the only way to reach it. AIWB doesn't really work for me on anything larger than the 42. My goal is making the best of what I have left that actually does work - which is a compromise. My only other option as I can see it is to go back to a shoulder holster, which is possible. I've definitely practiced and practiced the draw and holster using a laser (and the ex wife) with the first few hundred to follow muzzle point. I'll never be a fast draw at this point, but I am competently armed and can put bullets where I intend (hell, that's the easiest part). Any life or death situation will be what it will be. I'd rather be slow and armed than slow and not. And that's kinda what I'm looking at.

Site Supporter
    Didn't mean to drift the thread. My apologies.

I understand where you are coming from. I didn't purposefully set out to find the most unorthodox system possible. In a nutshell, after years and years of hard core sports participation my body is failing in more ways than I imagined it could. I can't rotate my right arm/shoulder in a conventional draw beyond 3:00. It simply will not go there. Palm out is the only way to reach it. AIWB doesn't really work for me on anything larger than the 42. My goal is making the best of what I have left that actually does work - which is a compromise. My only other option as I can see it is to go back to a shoulder holster, which is possible. I've definitely practiced and practiced the draw and holster using a laser (and the ex wife) with the first few hundred to follow muzzle point. I'll never be a fast draw at this point, but I am competently armed and can put bullets where I intend (hell, that's the easiest part). Any life or death situation will be what it will be. I'd rather be slow and armed than slow and not. And that's kinda what I'm looking at.
    Understood, and I think that methods of dealing with situations such as yours are worthy thread drift and likely to be helpful to others, so I am glad you posted.

I would strongly encourage the shoulder holster in your situation, at least at times when your mode of dress will work with one, which I recognize is generally not in the warmer months.

From about 1996 until about 2004, a shoulder holster was one of my primary methods of concealed carry. It may well be that you already have considerable experience and your own preferences, but if not, I may be able to offer suggestions based on what worked and didn't work for me.

For the summer months, I hesitate to say it knowing the disadvantages, but perhaps forward of the hip crossdraw might work?

User Tag List