Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to IWB - Uncomfortable no matter what

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mayer View Post
    Your belt should be just stiff enough to do the job, but not overly stiff.
    For some reason, I've had really good results with a very stiff belt (Ares Gear Aegis belt). Go figure?

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Site Supporter
    What works for me:

Extra 2” in the waistband of the pants and/or relaxed fit pants.

A holster that adds as little bulk as possible to the total package that must be concealed. I would look at a Blade Tech Nano, JM Custom Kydex #3, or a similar holster from Custom Carry Concepts.

For me, about 10 degrees of cant is perfect, 15 is good, and anything more is counterproductive.

3:30 is far enough back to take advantage of a natural hollow but not quite far enough back to be sitting on the gun for the most part. It is also far enough forward to keep the grip close to your side when bending at the waist.

Adjustability is critical in the belt. I like the Wilderness Frequent Flyer for closer front garments, and Beltman cowhide with 7 holes and 3/4 inch spacing of the buckle is visible. 1” hole spacing is a bit too much for precise adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    For some reason, I've had really good results with a very stiff belt (Ares Gear Aegis belt). Go figure?

I find my Ares Gear Aegis comparable in stiffness to the Wilderness 5 stitch or the Talon Tactical nylon belts - strong but still malleable. The Ares Gear Ranger on the other hand was overly stiff and quite uncomfortable.

Another vote here for the JMCK IWB3.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I've recently ordered a couple JMCK 2.5 claw holsters for AIWB. One for a Shield, and one for a 2.0 compact. If you are at all open to AIWB, these holsters are the way to go. I have tried a bunch of holsters, and none are as comfortable as these. He has them available quick ship for many common pistols, so the wait time isn't long at all. You have to be patient, and try different adjustments as to position, height, etc. It's amazing how much difference a small adjustment can make. Email Tony, describe how you are built, and how you want to carry, and follow his advise. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

Well, you are That Guy .......hahahaha!!
    sales@jmcustomkydex.com

When I wear a gun iwb, I let the slide run in the hollow between my pelvic crest and the acetabulum. I find that holsters that try to spread the gun out don’t let that happen and deform my pants too much' which is uncomfortable. For me the milt sparks ex-RSO is perfect. The VM2 is nice but wants to run further back.

My best results with a Glock 19 were with a CCC Gestalt and a Mastermind Tactics Minimalist belt- I believe it's now called the Helix.

I've also found that the leather backing on my Gestalt helps make things comfortable.
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 01-22-2018 at 10:45 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    As you can se from the varied responses there is more than one “right” answer here as IWB /AIWB Holster fit, and to a lesser extent belts fit. They fit everyone slightly differently just like shoes. Hence the cliche of gun guys having a “box o’holsters” they tried before finding something which works for them.

Personally, I like Kydex OWB Holsters but prefer leather for IWB. I’ve had good results with wider style holsters like the Milt Sparks VM2 or the TT leather equivalent. What I’ve seeen with the Milt sparks holsters is bigger guys tend to prefer the wider VM2 or EX style IWB holsters while thinner guys tend to prefer the Summer Special style IWB holsters.

Based on the above, in Kydex a bigger guy may do better with something like the JM custom #2 or #4.

This does not mean anything goes. There are definitely some wrong answers. Hybrid holsters, particularly alien gear have issues with retention, durability and comfort.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-23-2018 at 06:03 AM.

I particularly agree that leather is much more comfortable than Kydex, especially at 3:00 as opposed to 1:00. A notable exception is the JM #4, which is shockingly comfortable but like a VM2 has to be worn a little farther back.
    Ignore Alien Orders

New to IWB - Uncomfortable no matter what

Apart from all the helpful suggestions given for mitigating CCW discomfort, the OP may perhaps just have unrealistic expectations as well.
    A relatively minor level of discomfort with CCW is simply a given.

While there are those who claim "not to even know it's there" with little guns, anyone carrying a ~2 lb. sidearm on his person, around his midsection, whether on the side or in front, is going to be aware of it, as an asymmetric weight and bulge.
    Obviously the discomfort can be minimized, but especially when one is new to the concept, it can feel very odd.

Experience and commitment to practicing CCW, along with experimentation with minor adjustments and different holsters, usually smoothes things out in the long run.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

User Tag List