Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New to IWB - Uncomfortable no matter what

New to IWB - Uncomfortable no matter what

Hi Everyone,
    I have been carrying a G19 for about 18 years, and always had it either in a Belt loop holster, or in a Fobus Paddle holster. Always OWB. Never carried IWB.
    Recently I have needed to start to carry in an environment where I cannot OWB and require IWB, so I have started that journey.
    I have tried AIWB and IWB, used multiple holsters(Normal, Hybrid etc) and I just cannot get comfortable.

I have now bought a Kore Essentials Tactical Gun Belt and an AlienGear Shapeshift IWB and set it all up, but I still find it uncomfortable? Do these need time to wear in?
    I mainly find it uncomfortable pressing just below my belly. and I am constantly aware that the gun is on my hip. I am an average build person(No six pack, but no major belly)

Any tips or suggestions?

Thanks a lot
    CP

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeParamedic View Post
    AlienGear
    Have you tried a quality holster?

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

I kinda felt the same way when I first started carrying. For behind the hip or 4:00 carry, a hybrid works best for me, but I couldn’t do it comfortably with a gun the size of a G19. My current go to’s are my G43 and G26 which I carry AIWB mostly, but occasionally at 4:00. For me, a short barrel is very important for AIWB comfort, but grip doesn’t matter much. 4:00 carry is the opposite. If your set on continuing to use the G19, I’d just give it some time with your new setup and see if you can get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

...I have tried AIWB and IWB, used multiple holsters(Normal, Hybrid etc) and I just cannot get comfortable...Any tips or suggestions?
    You can't expect to be able to wear the same clothes.

With IWB you need a bigger waistband and a bigger belt. Depending upon the gun, holster, and position of carry, you might need more rise (from crotch to waistband) as well.
    Last edited by Wendell; 01-22-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks for the great advice.
    I did get new pants which I got one size bigger, and I got a new belt which is certainly big enough and stiff.
    Currently carrying at 4 o clock...
    I suppose I will need to give it time and see if I get used to it and take it from there...

Site Supporter
    I have found a 2 to 3 week break in period for new carry positions or holsters.

Try a quality leather holster. Spend $100 or so.

Not quite the truth but Clint Smith says “carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting not comfortable.”

Site Supporter
    I've found that barrel/slide length matters for some folks, while others don't seem to find a difference. If I have a gun the length of a G19 IWB, my butt will get pinched by the end of the holster when sitting fairly regularly. A G26 is just enough shorter that it never happens, and a longer slide gets past the pinch point enough that it rarely happens - But the longer slide sticks out and prints.

Try a JMCK IWB#3. Should be a quick ship item for a G19, and more than reasonable on the cost/quality index.
    Last edited by Duelist; 01-22-2018 at 12:11 PM.

I mainly find it uncomfortable pressing just below my belly.
    Which part of the gun or holster is digging into your belly?

I believe the Shapeshift is a hybrid holster with a fair amount of material and widely spaced mounting hardware. I found that wide holsters the people rave about for comfort like the Versamax just don't work for me and that minimal holsters with a single mounting point like a Summer Special or JM Custom IWB#3 work much better for me. You may just need to try different types to find your fit.

What other brands and models of IWB holsters have you tried?

Be aware that the "Box of holsters" is a running joke among those who are serious about concealed carry, it may take several tries to find the right solution for you. The solution may include a change in wardrobe.

Alien Gear has a... poor... reputation.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Which part of the gun or holster is digging into your belly?

I believe the Shapeshift is a hybrid holster with a fair amount of material and widely spaced mounting hardware. I found that wide holsters the people rave about for comfort like the Versamax just don't work for me and that minimal holsters with a single mounting point like a Summer Special or JM Custom IWB#3 work much better for me. You may just need to try different types to find your fit.
    It's not the gun or holster that is digging into me. It is the Belt at the front just below my nelly that digs into me. It is placing pressure there and that is very uncomfortable Worse when sitting.

User Tag List