Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gripping harder with support hand, dealing with the side effects

If your off hand isn’t used to doing much, say like 90% of us urban folk, upping the strength requirements will definitely result in soreness. It’s like never working out with weights and jumping in with trying to bench what your BFF can. Just asking for trouble. Rest, ice if needed and NSAIDs as needed to get back to pain free living. Once you get back to pain free living, start slow and do hand/wrist exercises bilaterally.

Just a warning on the NSAIDs. I took Alleve since it was introduced, and Naproxen/Naprosin before that going back about 20 years for a totally messed up left shoulder. With it, I could function pretty well, but without it, I was miserable. PT made it worse than it was before (My PT history is pretty much failures). In 2007, I fell and tore up my right shoulder in a freak fall that caused major nerve damage to my right knee. No pain in the knee, it was numb as a rock and I could have drilled a hole in my kneecap without much or maybe any discomfort. Anyway, I was taking Alleve 2X a day, when I got up, and when I ate dinner. In 2010, I went for routine blood work, and my doctor says, "Some of your kidney numbers are off, so I want you to see this guy!". When I set up the appointment, the first thing they asked me is if I took NSAIDs, I told them yes, and they said stop taking any of them. I had an ultrasound on my kidneys and bladder, which appeared normal. When the nephrologist walks in, he says, "Well, you've lost about 30% of your kidney function!". There was no cause he could determine, except for NSAID s taken over a long period of time. I admit, I do have days where my left shoulder hurts a lot, but I don't take anything. Heat helps, and keeping a draft off my shoulders is the main solution. Once I stopped taking the stuff, my kidneys slowly began to come back to almost normal. I'm just not quite there, and the doctor told me, "It's not important if you're supposed to have a 15 at something and your 16, it's that you're stabilized and not going sour!" . He said he has a couple of patients who took NSAIDs and by the time it was discovered, they were about ready for dialysis. So if you take a lot of the stuff, get annual, at least, blood work to make sure you aren't messing your kidneys up.

I’m one of those people who absolutely despises taking any sort of pill for any sort of reason. So unless I’m really really hurting, I generally don’t take anything.

I finally got some dry practice in last night after giving it a rest and my support hand seems to feel ok. I do have to say though that I’m having a hard time gauging how much I should actually be squeezing with my support hand. I don’t want to be overtraining or over-pressuring if I don’t need to be.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

@spinmove_ I like Ben Stoeger’s Trigger Press at Speed drill. Experiment with grip pressure and watch your front sight as you press the trigger fast. After you’ve recovered of course.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @spinmove_ I like Ben Stoeger’s Trigger Press at Speed drill. Experiment with grip pressure and watch your front sight as you press the trigger fast. After you’ve recovered of course.
    Support hand is feeling much better. I think what little tightness that is there right now might be building muscle or minor joint fatigue. I’m going to stagger my practice sessions for a while so I can build back up to a daily routine again.

Can you link me that drill if possible?

Will do. Later today.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Gripping harder with support hand, dealing with the side effects

Here’s some text copied from Ben’s 2013 Facebook post
    https://www.facebook.com/PracticalPi...04824196195684

“Question:

How do you use dryfire to get better at distance shooting?

In my opinion, dryfire can be a very effective tool to improve your distance shooting. You do need to do some live fire training in conjunction with the dryfire to really get the benefit, but I think it can work well.

First, doing the “wall drill” where you line up your sights and pull the trigger without disturbing the sight alignment is a time tested dryfire exercise. It works really well to help you subconsciously pull the trigger straight back without disturbing the sight alignment. This is a drill that anyone can do and it is the first drill I put in the dry fire manual for a reason. This is the most important skill to master.

Once you are able to pull the trigger without moving the sights, it is time to learn to do it faster. The faster you pull the trigger, the harder it is to keep the sights stable as you break the shot. This is why I worked a drill into the dryfire book where you draw the gun, align the sights on the wall (not on a target) and run the trigger back without moving the sights. The whole point of adding a time limit is to force you to speed up the trigger press! The faster you try to go, the more likely it is that you will move the sights. This skill can be developed extensively in dryfire.

In live fire, you can go out and test your distance shooting. Doing drills like a 50 yard bill drill can prove to be a real challenge. In live fire you are going to have other factors come into play. Is your gun zeroed properly? Are you holding in the right spot on the target to hit As? Etc.

However, the hard part of shooting at distance is working the trigger straight back every time. You might swear to yourself when you are doing the dry fire drills that your sights don’t move when you pull the trigger. When you get out and shoot real bullets, you will know if that is true or not.

I have found it is frequently the case that people have their sights move “only a little” in dryfire. That “only a little” in dryfire turns into misses when you are shooting at 50 yards. There is NO amount of sight movement that is acceptable in dryfire when you are working on the wall drill. None.

If you keep working at it, you will improve. Do your dryfire for a few weeks, then go out and see what you can do. Learn from the live fire session, then go and get back to dry fire.”
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 01-26-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So I started practicing with gripping much harder with my support hand for the past few weeks or so and have had 2 live fire sessions (100 rounds each) doing the same thing. It’s REALLY helped with keeping my shots from walking left, but I’m now experiencing soreness and fatigue 3 of my 5 fingers on that hand. I’m not sure if I’m able to still grip as hard as when I wasn’t discomforted, but I do seem to be experiencing some consistent discomfort in those fingers/hand even when I’m not doing anything. I do try to get some regular/daily dry practice in. Usually 10-20 minutes per session. Sometimes two sessions a day.

Is this just soreness from building strength in that hand or is it possible that I’m over doing it? Possible remedies to combat this? Should I take a break for a few days to see if it’s still there?

Hey man: Take it slow. Do 75% to 50% less.

I've been doing this for years and when I'm really working on grip (during "trigger control at speed" or "transition drills"), I limit it to no more than 5 minutes with a good 5 minute rest.
    (If I'm working draws and reloads, the crush grip is not nearly as important and I can do that for a lot longer.)

I've also found that it helps to break up the session with 1-2 shots, then movement, then 1-2 shots, etc.

I type for a living, so I can't afford to get RSI in my hands...

As an aside: I hate grip machines, etc. (Captains of Crush) because I've seen so many dudes jack their mitts up doing that when they just need to practice dry fire at a more graduated pace...
    (YMMV, tho)

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Support hand is feeling much better. I think what little tightness that is there right now might be building muscle or minor joint fatigue. I’m going to stagger my practice sessions for a while so I can build back up to a daily routine again.

Can you link me that drill if possible?

Good news! Google up some hand, wrist, forearm stretching exercises as well and add them in SLOWLY to your routines. That should help minimize repeat occurrences.

User Tag List