Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ARC's new action - the Nucleus bolt action

ARC's new action - the Nucleus bolt action

American Rifle Company has a new action called the Nucleus. It features a lot of the ARC Mausingfield's key design elements.

If you want to nerd out on the details there is a "long and unedited" presentation by Ted
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wro5WuprNwE

Quick notes:
    Rem 700 trigger/stock compatibility
    Controlled feed, Springfield type ejector, solid bolt stop
    3-lobe bolt with toroidal lugs, anti-bind rails, 72 degree throw
    Interchangeable bolt heads, .223 to .300WM, no .338L
    Savage barrel thread, good for pre-fit barrels

I was set on a TAC A1 pbut this offering has permanently derailed that. $850 intro pricing with $250 deposit, delivery estimated this Spring.

Name:  ARC-cap.JPG
Views: 1932
Size:  25.2 KB

Following this with much interest, the pre-order price is good till Jan 28 I believe so you have a few days to think about it.

Just saw this, Nucleus buyers can purchase the quick change BarLoc for $50, regularly $180.

https://www.americanrifle.com/produc...eus-customers/

Site Supporter
    Not a long range shooter but I thought the Shilen DGR has been doing this for a long time? Differences?

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    Not a long range shooter but I thought the Shilen DGR has been doing this for a long time? Differences?
    If you're referring to a caliber/barrel switch feature, yes, those are nothing new. The way that particulular feature is accomplished- with action thread pre-load and the fact it's an optional, bolt-on feature - may be more unique.

If you're talking about the action, the DGR action is said to be based on the Stiller TAC30. At a glance the Nucleus adds controlled feed, larger extractor, reduced throw and a number of arguable mech design advantages for the same or less MSRP.

Yep, I’ve had a Stiller and it really wasn’t anything to write home about compared to something like this. My goodness that is a smokin deal for $850.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the info guys! Makes it much clearer. I think these are a great idea to increase the flexibility of an action and make it more user serviceable. Make long range shooting much more accessible, custom rigs that have to be sent out are becoming less necessary it seems with these stocks/chassis systems and innovative actions.

Aye.

Personally, the pre-'64 Win 70/FN SPR with their controlled feed, extractors, smooth action and the old school triggers were just fine. Paying a little extra for barrels was no big deal. The problem is aftermarket support and it gets complicated with action bolt spacing over the years. That's one reason KRG, McRees and others declined to offer product, caveat their offerings or only support a narrow model/year range.

I still think the Tikka TAC A1 is an unmatched best bang for the buck if you want one rifle and chambering. Chassis, folder, 2-stage trigger, accuracy, good reliability, decent caliber/barrel choices and great aftermarket support.

The Nucleus's controlled feed, extractor, ejection, barrel/bolt swap, Rem 700 stock compatibility and super robust applied mech engineering carried over from the Mausingfield have me sold. Together with a stock that supports short and long AICS mags I can configure 16" .308 or 28" 6.5-284 without needing two rifles and order pre-fit barrels from a smith that has data on my action. Everything else on the Nucleus list is just icing on the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Aye.

Personally, the pre-'64 Win 70/FN SPR with their controlled feed, extractors, smooth action and the old school triggers were just fine. Paying a little extra for barrels was no big deal. The problem is aftermarket support and it gets complicated with action bolt spacing over the years. That's one reason KRG, McRees and others declined to offer product, caveat their offerings or only support a narrow model/year range.

I still think the Tikka TAC A1 is an unmatched best bang for the buck if you want one rifle and chambering. Chassis, folder, 2-stage trigger, accuracy, good reliability, decent caliber/barrel choices and great aftermarket support.

The Nucleus's controlled feed, extractor, ejection, barrel/bolt swap, Rem 700 stock compatibility and super robust applied mech engineering carried over from the Mausingfield have me sold. Together with a stock that supports short and long AICS mags I can configure 16" .308 or 28" 6.5-284 without needing two rifles and order pre-fit barrels from a smith that has data on my action. Everything else on the Nucleus list is just icing on the cake.
    Wow....my thoughts, your words. We should hang out
    #RESIST

I'm really finding this hard not to buy... PVA is running a special on a barrel too for 475... all in You could be under 2k with a KRG Bravo... 850 action 50 barloc 475 barrel 389 bravo stock in sako green...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

User Tag List