Thread: Mossberg 590 with DOUBLE STACK detachable magazine

Mossberg 590 with DOUBLE STACK detachable magazine

Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I'm not even slightly interested a box magazine pump action, but one thing that would be nice (if it would occur) would be to finally have 12 gauge box magazines worth a damn, that one could then base a semiauto shotgun around. The achilles heel has always been the magazines.

Well, that, and 12 gauge shells not being designed for vertical loading in the first place. I'm still on the tube train because that's what the shells are suited for.

I’m way more interested in the magazine itself.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Maybe it's just the photo, but why leave the long tube? Twenty rounds mags are cool, but if I'm going to hang two pounds of ammo under a gun I could carry three times that if it were 5.56.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Maybe it's just the photo, but why leave the long tube?.
    Barrel commonality.

Was just coming over to post this one. Solid decision on the part of Mossberg to move into the box magazine fed shotgun market. These double stack mags look quite interesting and may resolve some of the common issues in single-stack 12-gauge magazines. The first being pressure on the bottom round of the mag forcing it out of round and the second being the occasional problem with rim-lock.

FYI - Remington is coming out with its own mag-fed shotgun line, but using single-stack magazines. - https://www.range365.com/remington-8...hable-magazine

Now what we need is someone to come up with a "firearm" version of a semi-auto platform that can accept the double-stack Mossberg mags...
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-23-2018 at 12:11 AM.

I can’t imagine the mag pouch necessary to carry the spares. They make Surefire 60’s seem svelte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I don't understand why they used the full-sized mag tube on the mag-fed Mossberg when they could (I assume) just as easily have based it off the Shockwave setup.

And we all know there's going to be a Shockwave version.
    3/15/2016

The Remington mag has these skinny little feed lip extension things that look fragile as hell to me - I bet they're good for exactly one drop on a hard surface. The Mossberg mags look and feel sturdier, though of course they'll weigh a lot more when loaded. Mossberg is also rock and lock, for good or ill.

User Tag List