Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol squirming/twisting in hand during trigger press (P30 LEM)?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I can understand right displacement with trigger finger shenanigans but I can't understand low.
    When I say "low" I mean a minor dip low, dropping to about 3:30. I think it's a result of squeezing the grip and turning it simultaneously.

Even for experienced shooters, there is a great benefit for shooting with a good instructor. My primary shooting partner, another long-time instructor, has helped me more than once. Sometimes what we thing we are doing dry-fire doesn’t translate to what we are actually doing. And diagnosis via the Internet just isn’t the same.

I also think some platforms just don’t work for some people. For me personally, I find LEM the hardest trigger system to run well at speed. For me, the light take-up and then wall is a pre-made flinch waiting to happen. But that’s just me, and some people run them really well and prefer the other benefits such as increased safety.

The batman-gripped HK's can be a weird animal when it comes to grip. As mentioned above, they are more round rather than square and that can lead to torquing. Also, what feels "right" in the hand while just holding the gun is not necessarily what will give you the best shooting results. For me the large backstrap feels intuitively too big, and pushes into the palm of my hand, but the extra trigger reach length makes a huge difference for my ability to work the trigger well, and that is what really matters. I also have strength-limiting issues in my hands and with my unique situation, I can crush grip larger things more effectively than smaller ones. Obviously your situation will dictate in that regard.

Lastly: Friction. The HK grips are really good looking, but not nearly traction-y enough for me. The area's above the side panels are bar-of-soap-smooth, and even the panels themselves are not grippy enough. I stipple mine to high hell (an HK? The horror!) but talon grips are a cheap and easy thing to try. I cannot shoot shoot a stock P30 without grip mods whatsoever, its a wet noodle, but grip it up and the thing is rock solid. . .

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post

I find that the boxier grips, like on the HK USP, are easier to keep from squirming than the "more ergonomic" grips. USP also has rougher checkering. You might try grip tape.

I like the P30 in spite of the ergo grips. (Thanks GJM.)
    Great observation. It is beyond ironic what gets cred for being "more ergonomic" when it comes to this. "Feels good" and function are not always the same.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Great observation. It is beyond ironic what gets cred for being "more ergonomic" when it comes to this. "Feels good" and function are not always the same.
    Agreed. What’s also interesting is that, while rather “unboxy” in shape, I personally find gripping a 1911 is pretty secure. IIRC the OP’s own experience seems to reflect this as well.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....metric-Tension

When my hand strength was jacked up due to nerve damage, this helped me.

Other than that, why force yourself to a particular gun? You aren't issued one, don't have to stick with it, etc. If it doesn't work for you, bin it and move to something that fits you more naturally.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Other than that, why force yourself to a particular gun? You aren't issued one, don't have to stick with it, etc. If it doesn't work for you, bin it and move to something that fits you more naturally.
    Agreed. If I was struggling that much with it, had nerve damage, but could run a 1911 without issues ... I'd be running a 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Agreed. If I was struggling that much with it, had nerve damage, but could run a 1911 without issues ... I'd be running a 1911.
    Only reason to stick with the P30 right now is, it's the only thing I have here, besides my dad's 1911 that only reliably feeds 230-ball.

But I concur if my cut down backstrap doesn't resolve the issue satisfactorily, I'll be moving on from the platform (which I really like). Initially, I didn't seem to be having these problems, but I think I was so focused on learning the trigger, that I didn't notice these smaller issues. When I say I'm dipping and dropping, we're talking moving from 9s and 10s to 7s and 8s. It's not the worst accuracy in the world, but it isn't the best, either.

That said, I may plan to move on, anyways. The polymer framed guns a little snappy for my tastes and I'm leaning towards going to an all-steel gun of some type (hence my strong interest in the Hudson H9).
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-22-2018 at 04:31 PM.

If the trigger stacking of the P30 is a hard to beat issue, if you like the clean break of a 1911 and if you're going to change platform, may I suggest the VP9; at least you get to keep using the same mags.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-męme, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

You might try a cocked and locked P30S or USP.
    Last edited by 1slow; 01-22-2018 at 05:40 PM.

User Tag List