Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pistol squirming/twisting in hand during trigger press (P30 LEM)?

One thing your cut down backstrap may be accomplishing is providing better contact between the top of your hand and the top of the grip. Since this is the area that most directly opposes the trigger press, I think solid contact here is especially important, and in my experience the shape of some backstraps does not facilitate that for all hand types. Depending on how exactly you grip the gun, some inward pressure on the top of the frame from the strong hand thumb might be beneficial, stabilizing the frame both by the pressure itself and by firming up the muscles where the web of the hand contacts the top of the backstrap.

While one would think less than solid contact at the top of the grip would result in upward deflection when stacking of the trigger press compacts the web area of your hand, I have a hypothesis that sometimes slight upward deflection in the sights is perceived subconsciously and overcompensated with a forward push of the wrist.

When encountering similar issues on another platform, I found it helpful to actively think about locking my strong hand wrist to improve trigger finger isolation. I also ended up using less trigger finger and rotating the gun to change how it was aligned in my grip, but I think those adjustments are highly personal.

RevolverRob,

IIRC, You are something of a DA/DAO guy (Kahr, etc.)??

When I shot Rich's P30sk, the light takeup and pronounced wall threw me. It was more pronounced that a standard Glock

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    For me personally, I find LEM the hardest trigger system to run well at speed. For me, the light take-up and then wall is a pre-made flinch waiting to happen. But that’s just me, and some people run them really well and prefer the other benefits such as increased safety.
    I found the "NY1/- connector" Glock combo to smooth the transition on that platform, and I strongly suspect that using the heavy TRS in the P30 LEM would accomplish the same thing.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 01-24-2018 at 05:29 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The Spiderman grips aren't well thought out, IMO. The reach to the trigger is essentially the same for all of them. The bigger ones are like just duct taping a tennis ball to the back strap. Instead of a nice, locked-in and secure grip, it creates areas of less pressure at the top and bottom of the grip, which is where you really want good contact to control the pistol. I prefer the USP for this reason. GJM had some discussion of that in the USP45 thread, vs the HK45; in particular regarding recoil control and maintaining accuracy through a string of fire.

Shaving just ~1-1.5mm out of the "hump" in the middle of the backstrap on the NFG Hogue grip for my GP100 made a huge improvement.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Note: I have the TDA trigger
    For me, I had (and might still have, it's been a while) a drooping problem on the DA pull, and it's related to changing tension on my pinkie finger. When I concentrate on either stabilizing that finger or just crushing the hell out of it, then the droop goes away.

At least replacement backstraps aren't expensive.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List