Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunder Ranch rifle

Thunder Ranch Standard Rifle

Anyone have one of these? Is it a good setup or are you paying too much for the name? I admit I like the idea of a serious guy like Clint Smith doing the thinking so I don't have to.

https://thunderranchinc.com/firearms/

I am looking to buy a couple of no frills lightweight rifles for me and my wife. I just want to buy a couple of rifles and be done with it - no swapping parts and changing stocks. I just want to throw a light, a sling, and some type of optic on it and be done. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Last edited by Clay; 01-21-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Anyone have one of these? Is it a good setup or are you paying too much for the name? I admit I like the idea of a serious guy like Clint Smith doing the thinking so I don't have to.

https://thunderranchinc.com/firearms/

I am looking to buy a couple of no frills lightweight rifles for me and my wife. I just want to buy a couple of rifles and be done with it - no swapping parts and changing stocks. I just want to throw a light, a sling, and some type of optic on it and be done. Any ideas?

Thanks
    If you want to spend 2k, then Knights Armament is my go to recommendation. Also it Depends on the purpose. If It's just to have then a Colt 6920 is hard to beat for a barebones rifle.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Is there a specific model you would recommend? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Is there a specific model you would recommend? Thanks.
    SR 15 E3 Mod 2 in MLOK is what id buy. You won't need to upgrade anything on it.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The top one has Keymod and I'd prefer M-lok. But that cut away magwell seems like a gimmick that has no place on a serious use rifle to me.

Some ready to go options:
    Colt Trooper
    Colt OEM2
    Daniel Defense (any free floated with M-lok)
    BCM (free floated with M-lok)
    FN

The 6920 as mentioned is good but in this day and age I see no reason to get a rifle that isn't free floated.

I still like a forward assist on my rifles and dislike the window cuts on the mag well, so I’d pass on those. I’d honestly look at one of the LaRue Ultimate kits with assembly and test fire and a LaRue Lower
    https://www.larue.com/products/larue...-15-upper-kit/
    Also, Colt Trooper or a 6720 and add a free float.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll second Grey, if 2k dollars is what you’re looking at spending on a rifle, buy an SR-15. The MOD 2 is not only the best SR-15 produced to date, is the best AR-15 produced to date. KAC builds quality, no frills rifles that speak for them selves. They just flat out work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I am bias having trained with Clint 6 or 7 times. I am a handgun guy so know nothing about rifles. I bought 2 Thunder Ranch Noveske rifles because I didn’t have to think about it.

Buy 2 and 100 Mags and lots of ammo. Vickers sling and Surefire Scout Light. You’d be solid.

I support the plan.

Sorta My Lane

Clint’s got *another* TR Rifle eh? Sim. to Cookie I’ve had a few (12+, P/SLR/SG/Sub) classes w/ Clint going back to the 90’s when he was still in Tx, hell we even hosted him for a few before he moseyed up to Oregon.

Sure there are others here (GJM comes to mind) that trained w/ him back then, perhaps they’ll weigh as it’s late & I’m crashing but may add my .02 here later this week.
    Last edited by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor; 01-21-2018 at 11:38 PM.

User Tag List