Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart Home

CWM11B
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    This always makes me laugh.

Everyone worries about the lock on the door when you likely have something in your yard that could be tossed through your window allowing entry.
    Well, I wouldn't laugh too hard. I responded to hundreds of home break ins in my former life, and though I have no hard data points, I'm confident in saying statisticians would call the item through a window an anomoly. In my experience, entry was gained by attacks on door locks by either a prying tool or good old fashioned kick.

I'm far outside of my lane on smart homes (and the technology), but with all the stories I read of even the most secure networks being compromised, put me in the nope crowd on this one. I have enough issues with my U-verse to not trust the physical security of my home to smart tech at this point. That may change at some future date, as I try to keep an open mind about such things.
    Last edited by CWM11B; 01-22-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    Well, I wouldn't laugh too hard. I responded to hundreds of home break ins in my former life, and though I have no hard data points, I'm confident in saying statisticians would call the item through a window an anomoly. In my experience, entry was gained by attacks on door locks by either a prying tool or good old fashioned kick.

I'm far outside of my lane on smart homes (and the technology), but with all the stories I read of even the most secure networks being compromised, put me in the nope crowd on this one. I have enough issues with my U-verse to not trust the physical security of my home to smart tech at this point. That may change at some future date, as I try to keep an open mind about such things.
    Coconut through window, prybar to the jam, or kick to the face, none of them have anything to do with smart homes.

thank you for making my point for me. With all those various low-tech ways of getting into a house, it's extremely unlikely that one of those same brute-force felons are going to suddenly arrive at your house, see a pushbutton lock, and go out to the van and grab a laptop and start hacking into your home.

CWM11B
    Until they do. I know of cases where criminals have used devices to access garage door opener frequencies to get in, and that was several years ago. And they did it by randomly driving around until they got a hit, not the scenario you describe. Luckily, coconuts through the window aren't a concern here, nor most of the country. Glad you have it all figured out, have a good one

Smart Home

Coconut through window, prybar to the jam, or kick to the face, none of them have anything to do with smart homes.

thank you for making my point for me. With all those various low-tech ways of getting into a house, it's extremely unlikely that one of those same brute-force felons are going to suddenly arrive at your house, see a pushbutton lock, and go out to the van and grab a laptop and start hacking into your home.
    Way out of your lane. Tactics change, and the above posted info isn’t wrong. I’d give you a bunch of factual data to point out the flaws in your statement. But due to your obvious Dunning-Kruger it would be an absolute waste of my time.

Normally I refrain from directly insulting or arguing with people online because I like it here and secondly it’s typically pointless but in your case I’ll make an exception. Do us all a favor and log the fuck out or just STFU. You are on a role and it’s obvious that there are a number of people who are becoming more irritated/tired of your disrespect towards other’s. Take a freaking hint.
    Last edited by Mike C; 01-22-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Tactics change, and the above posted info isn’t wrong. I’d give you a bunch of factual data to point out the flaws in your statement.
    which "above posted info"? the fact that more people kick in doors than throw things through window? I didn't dispute that. In fact, I welcomed the addition and used it as another example that people don't gain entry to houses with laptops and hackers but with brute force or mild cunning.

Let me get this straight, you think someone is MORE likely to arrive at your house with a laptop and the knowledge to use it in order to gain entry and... steal your TV?... than they are to just kick the door in, pull down your eaves and crawl in, wait for your kid to leave the door unlocked, etc.? If I have nefarious plans and the know-how to hack into something, I'm not going after your Samsung.
    Last edited by rob_s; 01-22-2018 at 11:42 AM.

CWM11B
    I don't think it is more likely, but it is not an option i am willing to give the bad guys. I get it, if you had the skills you would do something else. Plenty of bad guys would use it. Just like all the members of this and similar boards do not think alike, neither do criminals. That's why there are so many types of them.

which "above posted info"? the fact that more people kick in doors than throw things through window? I didn't dispute that. In fact, I welcomed the addition and used it as another example that people don't gain entry to houses with laptops and hackers but with brute force or mild cunning.

Let me get this straight, you think someone is MORE likely to arrive at your house with a laptop and the knowledge to use it in order to gain entry and... steal your TV?... than they are to just kick the door in, pull down your eaves and crawl in, wait for your kid to leave the door unlocked, etc.? If I have nefarious plans and the know-how to hack into something, I'm not going after your Samsung.
    Ah, more assumptions. You don't get it, it's cool but I'm done wasting my time.

Smart Home

Everyone thought remote garage door openers were the tits. Until people with code readers stole their codes and robbed them blind. Wonder why they didn’t just kick a door in or throw a coconut through a window back then? Could it be cause they wanted a more covert way to gain entry. What’s more covert. Pry at to the door or looking like you belong?

Yes, the chances that some gangbanger will just kick your door in is much higher than some geek hacking your door, but why even give them the option? What is the cost benefit ratio of a networked door lock? Is it quicker to pull out your phone, launch an app to open your door vs pull out a key and do what you’ve been doing for decades.

That doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t go all in for the smart home. By all means do it if that’s your fancy. Nobody here will belittle your choice. So why do you feel the need for the condescending responses?
    Last edited by TAZ; 01-22-2018 at 01:27 PM.

I'll post in here vice the security camera thread. Was looking at the Abode and Simplisafe security starter kits. Went with Abode (not to be confused with Adobe).

It is a basic security system but can integrate with NEST, zibgee, z-wave, and some other standards like IFFFT (which I still dont understand). The nice thing is that it can cost you $0 a month to use the system if you don't want cellular backup or monitoring. Their web app and android/iphone apps work well. You can also pay for monitoring in small chunks, like by the weekend or week, if you decide to leave the country etc.

You can buy Z-wave sensors off Amazon or buy direct from Abode, whose prices are actually inline with whats out there. The even have Z-wave sirens/strobes on Amazon for $40.

So I *think* if you go down the NEST path this system can integrate very easily. Not sure about RING cameras. The biggest con to Abode right now is their streaming camera options suck.

My plan it so use a Ring type front door camera and slowly integrate more sensors around the house. I hate the fact that it all uses CR123 batteries for the sensors, so I ordered some AAA door/window sensors as well.

The good news is that with its built in battery backup and cell service, the system can provide security without any power to the house.

Anywho, hopefully the dogs, then the signs, and then the sirens keep the riffraff out. Next up, that flying security UAV to really freak everyone out.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    So why do you feel the need for the condescending responses?
    I'll answer your question with a question...

The thread is called "smart home". Why do all the tinfoil hat moonbats feel the need to post in a thread about Smart Homes if they're too scared the IT boogeyman will hack their front door and steal their cheerios?

User Tag List