Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA Shooters--Ruger Wants Your Input

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Professional shooters are hardly “shills.”
    That would depend on how their bread gets buttered

I imagine that a gun designed to Doug’s specifications would be superior to 99% of the guns designed by dumbdick consumers that can’t even break out of C-class.
    I imagine his input would be pretty limited in the overall scheme of things unless one of his professional qualifications includes a firearm design (and I mean real engineering work) resume.

But I suppose it's fun to say "I have a Doug Koenig special edition 1911"

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post

I imagine his input would be pretty limited in the overall scheme of things unless one of his professional qualifications includes a firearm design (and I mean real engineering work) resume.

I would hope Ruger has engineers. What they seem to lack is someone to tell them how their guns shoot and what to improve, and what USPSA/IDPA competitors want that they aren't providing. Not sure how much engineering is left on a 100+ year old pistol design that can be completely built from a Brownells catalog. He's not helping them make a new type of pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    What they seem to lack is someone to tell them how their guns shoot and what to improve, and what USPSA/IDPA competitors want that they aren't providing.
    Which is why they are asking the shooters in a survey.

But according to some, the target demographic is somehow too stupid to know what they want/need so the pros need to do it for them.

I'm glad to see Ruger peeking under the tent, so to speak. They are the only big firearms manufacturer to not have a professional shooting team. Glock and S&W have had them for years. Colt used to tear it up too when they had their team.

With that said, can Ruger really break into this market? Yes for IDPA but they really don't have a USPSA product unless you want to shoot Single Stack. Or maybe Production with the American although I find that pistol to be somewhat lacking in ergonomics. Same goes for 3gun. Ruger has an AR that would work pretty well but they don't make a semiautomatic shotgun. And you're stuck with the American again.

But this all might have been some ad exec's pet project and one that probably isn't paying off. The market for competition guns is relatively small, Ruger lacks guns that the masses want to use for competition and the one gun they do make is frankly too expensive. I'm sure the Keonig is a thing of beauty but it is just too expensive at $1800.

If Ruger really wants to do it they should look at a revamped American not unlike the P320 X5. Sell it with a fiber optic, a mag well and a better trigger. They also need to make some type of 1911 double stack. I believe Ruger still makes the Caspian hicap castings. Maybe launch a hicap 1911 using the Caspian frame as a base.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I assume Ruger won't get too carried away with triggers being that they're pretty lawsuit conscious.
    I agree, but the last two I bought were pretty nice. Not competition custom level light, but I was pleasantly surprised. I figured they would be super heavy and need work. I tweaked the first one I bought but if I look back it didn't need it. Dunno what all that might mean or not, but they were not the staple guns I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post

Have you ever been a professional shooter? Are you personal friends with any?

Is anyone "accomplished" running a GP100 Match Champion in the various revolver divisions outside of those on the Ruger team? The MC is a decent revolver but it could still use a few tweaks.

And then there's the SP101 Match Chapion. That one is a real head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Is anyone "accomplished" running a GP100 Match Champion in the various revolver divisions outside of those on the Ruger team? The MC is a decent revolver but it could still use a few tweaks.

And then there's the SP101 Match Chapion. That one is a real head scratcher.

I finished in the Top 5 in like 4 straight IDPA Nationals using one. I don't know if second place in the whole country counts as accomplished or not.

Professional shooters are hardly “shills.” I imagine that a gun designed to Doug’s specifications would be superior to 99% of the guns designed by dumbdick consumers that can’t even break out of C-class.
    I shoot a Beretta, both before and after I shot for Wilson Combat's Shooting Team.

I've always tried to be helpful and approachable. Mostly to get more folks into USPSA, performance shooting, and hell, just being responsible gun owners... For the folks interested in the 92, I've tried to give them all the info they need, design parts that made it work better IMHO, etc.

I guess that does make me a professional: I got paid. Though, I don't think I was ever a shill. If anything, I hope people viewed me as authentic, and more importantly, helpful.

I finished in the Top 5 in like 4 straight IDPA Nationals using one. I don't know if second place in the whole country counts as accomplished or not.
    Not in the revolver division...
    <ducks>

User Tag List