Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA Shooters--Ruger Wants Your Input

IDPA Shooters--Ruger Wants Your Input

I guess with the announcement that Ruger has hired Doug Koenig to start up a Ruger shooting team comes this survey.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1F...EtQaw/viewform

It will be interesting to see what the results are. Will this mean Ruger tweaks an existing design(s) or will they make something new? Or will they ignore the data once gathered?

I answered as best I could while trying to ignore any preconceived notions of what Ruger currently makes. The exception was for CDP. I put in the comments that whatever product they make for CDP needs to be a 1911.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

They already make a pretty good 1911. It will not take much to set it up for CDP.

Is Doug willing to showcase a CDP and USPSA SS?
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    They already make a pretty good 1911. It will not take much to set it up for CDP.

Is Doug willing to showcase a CDP and USPSA SS?
    I haven't seen anything yet on what Ruger/Doug plan to do for competition. Also don't know yet what Ruger's team will be as far as how many members, etc.

Yep. Ruger SR1911s are good guns for the money and it wouldn't take much to get one competition ready. The SR1911 Target probably just needs a mag well and a fiber optic front sight to be good to go. Maybe a trigger job but I assume Ruger won't get too carried away with triggers being that they're pretty lawsuit conscious.

Shooting teams don't make any sense, I predict this won't last in the end.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

didn't see an option for: accurate and ergonomic. too many personal preference options that don't really make a gun good or bad. i've shot all sorts of guns, well. the options they provide were not the determining factors.

make a good pistol, support it, buyers will come.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    In what way?

Full on paid shooters usually do more than just shoot. They are spokesmen for their respective companies. A visible PR tool.

Site Supporter
    The trick is what will Ruger make and campaign to "win" SSP and ESP? 1911 clone in CSP is "too easy" - the real opportunity is to showcase in SSP and ESP.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    The trick is what will Ruger make and campaign to "win" SSP and ESP? 1911 clone in CSP is "too easy" - the real opportunity is to showcase in SSP and ESP.
    I suppose the American in 45 will work for CDP once downloaded to 8 rounds. Same goes for the HK or S&W M&P but everyone shooting CDP at the local clubs is using some type of 1911 variant.

The Match Champion GP100 appears to be made to meet IDPA revolver rules so Ruger has that division covered too.

So I agree that ESP and SSP are the uncharted waters if you will. Could the American or Security 9 be modified to work? Yes but I doubt shooters will flock to either design regardless of factory packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    That's pretty vague. Would you mind explaining your comments a bit? Why don't the shooting teams make sense? All things come to an end, are you talking about a short term end or something else?

FWIW, Ruger is the ONLY large manufacturer that is listening to their customers and not just to their distributors. They have released a LOT of products in the past few years that were specifically requested by their customer base. I for one like that and it inclines me towards spending my 'new gun dollars' with Ruger in some cases. Towards that end, hiring Doug makes a lot of sense.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

free advice for Ruger: don't ask your customers to design a gun, design a gun that meets the needs of your pro shooter, and customers will buy that, as they too want to have the same gun as your championship shooter. see SW and their Jerry Miculek (sp?) revolvers.

so pick a division each year, spec out a gun that Koenig likes, have him shoot it and hopefully win with it, and make and stock those. next year, pick another division, wash, rinse, repeat.

Rob Vogel got a lot of shooters to try out Glocks in IDPA, albeit with some after market parts.

Wilson combat has their shooters using Wilson guns too.

your pro shooter becomes your best salesman, as he is showing what your gun can do. and thus, telling the world that our guns won't keep you from winning, only you keep you from winning.

no charge for the above advice.

User Tag List